An admirer is putting the moves on someone who clearly has other plans. He rebuffs her advances by simply saying "Sorry, I'm gay", regardless of his true sexuality. This trope is meant to be gender-neutral but for some reason
, "Sorry, I'm a lesbian" usually just doesn't work as well (not that "Sorry, I'm gay" works all of the time
for men either).
A subtrope of Ignore the Fanservice
. The opposite of Mistaken for Gay
. Not to be confused with Faux Yay
, which is a behavior, while this is just a quick way to halt the seduction in progress; one can
lead to the other, however.
A sub-trope of "You're Not My Type"
. See also Incompatible Orientation
, when the person is actually telling the truth. Compare to All the Good Men Are Gay
, Last Het Romance
and Dude, She's A Lesbian
. Sister Trope
to Seduction-Proof Marriage
, which is when the character rebuffs the unwanted advances because s/he's in a committed relationship.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Nezumi of No. 6 once does this in order to get a prostitute away from Shion.
- In Pretty Face, Dr. Manabi gets rid of his creepy Stalker with a Crush by showing to her that he's into guys (when in fact, he isn't).
- Early in Princess Princess, Toru's cousin, who's a Stalker with a Crush, shows up to harass him. After several unsuccessful attempts to get rid of her, Shihoudani puts his arm around Toru's shoulders, gives the stalker a very catty look, and says "Sorry, he's taken." ...He then proceeds to kiss Toru on the lips to drive the point home. Toru and Shihoudani's relationship beyond that is up in the air, but there are plenty of further hints.
- Two occurrences in Shinshi Doumei Cross: Takanari tells Haine and his many female admirers at school that he's gay (and that Maguri is his lover) to dissuade them from pursuing him; this isn't true. In one side-story, Maora, after taking up cross-dressing so that he and Maguri can marry, cheerfully tells him that now they can be together - to which Maguri says he's only interested in boys. Who look like boys.
- In the 10th episode of Space Dandy when the gang stays on Meow's home planet and are caught in a time loop, at one point Meow drunkenly proposes to his childhood crush Katie who is working as a barmaid, to his disappointment and horror she reveals to him that she's a lesbian and is married to the female bartender.
- The Voynich Hotel, the female drug dealers' attempt to bribe the sniper that's been sent to kill them by showing him their boobs fails for this reason.
- Transmetropolitan, Issue 9. Spider Jerusalem is the guy (obviously). His query: "Would you like to go out to dinner?"
Kisako St. Exupery, Director of Cultural Reservation Systems: Sorry, got plans tonight. And, well, I play on the other team, if you see what I mean.
Nurse: Sorry, I don't eat.
Random Girl: Sorry, no. I'm Breatharian. [Layman's terms: They don't eat, they just breathe.] ("How about going to bed with me instead" "I went neuter last year. Sorry.")
(And the coup-de-grace) Hannah Enkidu, SPKF Feedsite Listener: Sorry, no. I'm married, not hungry, infected with seven unknown diseases, gay, pregnant with lizards and clinically dead. [Just to twist the knife, she was on a live broadcast at the time.]
- The Midnighter serial has Midnighter break it to a female time cop from the future the reason why he won't have sex with her. After some confusion as to what the words "gay" and "straight" actually mean, she explains that no one regards sexuality in that manner anymore and everybody just does everybody.
- In a run on X-Men by Grant Morrison, Beast is approached by a woman who dumped him rather harshly a few issues previous. She seeks to get back together with him, and he rattles off a short list of reasons why he didn't want to, ending with "Also, I think I might be gay." This actually became a (sub)plot point for a few issues, with Beast eventually out-and-out saying to Cyclops that he only said it to make his ex feel bad.
- In Action Comics Weekly there was a short-lived version of the Secret Six concept; one of the characters told a grateful rescuee this when she came on to him, which was The Reveal to the readers as well (he also lampshaded the "rescue romance" concept).
- In the Dark Reign arc of Young Avengers, when Enchantress hits on him, Wiccan, bewildered, responds with "I'm with someone. And gay! Did I not indicate that?! Very, very gay." It doesn't seem to deter her, though.
- In Stormwatch 46, a rare Breather Episode, Fahrenheit, Jenny Sparks, and Flint are at a restaurant in Paris, and Fahrenheit has already picked up a hot guy, but when she calls Flint over to translate what he's saying, it turns out what he was trying to tell her was he's gay. Fahrenheit jokingly suggests that the three women kidnap him and "keep at him until he starts liking girls..."
- A male-to-female version in The Punisher:
Soap: You know, Molly... you're really...
Molly: A lesbian.
- The campy spy send-up Codename: Knockout explores the adventures of super-spy Angela Devlin and her gay sidekick "Go-go" Fiasco. At one point a super-villain's seductive "assistant" attempts to seduce Go-go for information:
Anita: Don't be coy with me Mr. Fiasco. You're a man, I'm a woman...
Go-go: I'm not coy, I'm gay.
Go-go: Yeah, GAY. Pansy, Fruit, Invert, Fairy, Back-Door Boy — The lot. I'm here, I'm queer, let go of me! You get the picture.
- Veronica from Archie Comics is smitten by the new guy, Kevin Keller. He has to let her down gently since he's, well, gay.
- In Uncanny X-Men volume three, Emma frost is trying to help Benjamin Deeds control his powers. His assignment is to hit on a girl, which he doesn't want to do, because he's gay. Emma doesn't care.
- There's a Knights of the Old Republic fic taking place at the Sith Academy on Korriban. Carth, passing as a the PC's slave, manages to attract the attention of Lashowe, one of the students. His last-ditch effort to dissuade her before actually breaking cover to run or fight was "Sorry, I'm a eunuch!"
- The WWE fic I'm Not That Different. In the story, Chris Nowinski falls in love with Molly Holly, but she tells him that the reason she's never had sex with a man is because she's a lesbian. She tries to be gentle about it, but he reacts by going to the ring and outing her in the middle of the show.
- Nukicide's hilarious F.E.A.R. Troll Fic Beyond the Final Door has a character named "Fast Soldier" use this as his main defense against Alma's Attempted Rape.
Then stupid gurl try and has sexy time with Fast Soldier but Fast Soldier is fag so he pushd her off.
- L in Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami uses this to get rid of Night Yagami who is trying to seduce him into giving up his real name. She then takes off her lipstick gets a magic genderbending tattoo that says "IM A DUDE", which turns her into a man, and then seduces him. However, she is still referred to as "she", wears a bra the whole time, and is presumably never turned back into a woman. This is never addressed.
- In Fever Dreams Light resorts to telling Misa this to prevent Rem from forcing him back into a relationship with her.
- In The Shinigami Wing Deal Light attempts to politely turn down Misa:
Light: I'm afraid what you're asking is impossible for a number of reasons. For one, I am already in a relationship...
Misa: Who?! She can't be prettier than me! I can do it better for you, Light! Who is she? I'll kill that bitch!
Light: She is a he. So you see we're just not compatible.
Misa: What do you mean by that?
Light: I'm gay, Misa.
Misa: Nooooo! You're too pretty to be gay!
- In The Specials, Amok makes a pass at Power Chick, who thinks he's joking because she's openly gay, even bringing up that she was on the cover of The Advocate.
- Tank Girl. To stop Sgt. Small's sexual harassment of Jet Girl, Tank Girl kisses her in front of him and says Jet Girl is her girlfriend. Small reacts with disgust and leaves.
Jet Girl: It worked!
Tank Girl: (innocent smirk) What worked?
- Half Baked:
Brian: Hey, Jan... will you be my girlfriend?
Jan: Well, I would, but I'm gay. I'm a big dyke.
Brian: Oh. What's that like?
- In What Women Want, Mel Gibson's character has used his powers of telepathy to seduce a hot, but insecure, barista. The barista chases him up afterwards, and demands to know why he's been avoiding her ever since, putting it to him that he "must" be gay because he talks and thinks like a woman. When he overhears her frantic thoughts that she can't bear to be rejected for any other reason, he decides to go with it.
- In The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, Holmes escapes the amorous advances of a Russian ballerina by insinuating that he and Watson are a couple. Watson, when he finds out, is not pleased.
- Invasion Of The Bee Girls has the bee girls seduce and kill various men, but being gay Dr. Murger is immune to their pheromone based charm. ... which annoys one so much she runs him over in a car, giving the FBI detective a good clue as to their MO.
- In Hamburger: The Movie, the main character is about to be molested by a female character, so he pretends to be gay so she'll leave. This is odd considering she was set on "not taking no for an answer", so you wouldn't think she would care if he were gay or not.
- Done in the YA lit book Another Kind Of Cowboy. He's telling the truth, though.
- In the novel Fluke, Nate resorts to this, because he's finding it incredibly difficult to have a conversation with a naked woman who won't stop trying to seduce him.
- Spellsinger features a gang of rogues trying to lure a unicorn with a virgin. It doesn't work on this particular unicorn, because they use a virgin GIRL.
- Stephanie Plum uses this one to discourage an admirer while getting him to keep talking to her and giving her information she needs about a case. Lula helps out by playing Stephanie's girlfriend.
- Seraphina expects Lars to go this route when he thinks she is about to profess attraction to him.
- In an early FoxTrot comic, Paige was trying to avoid being asked out by Morton Goldthwait and thought of several excuses she could use, including this one.
- On an episode of WWE Raw, Stephanie McMahon, who has been banned from the building, tries to seduce an usher to let her inside. His response? "Stephanie, I'm gay." To add the exclamation point, he commented on Billy and Chuck, who just walked by, stating that if they released a calendar, "they could make millions!"
- In The Longest Journey, when April tries to get past a security guard by acting cute, all he says is "Sorry, ma'am, but I'm gay".
- Another female example in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, where one woman can turn down a male Player Character by telling him "I just remembered, I'm gay." Then inverted if playing a female character, where she'll say "I just remembered, I'm straight."
- In Princess Maker 4, Marie (one of the player character's daughter's possible best friends) gains a very persistent Stalker with a Crush. She finally manages to get rid of him by telling him she's not interested in men and is dating your daughter (who, playing along, tells him to back off of her girl).
- Played with in Dragon Age: Origins; "barking up the wrong tree" is the exact phrase used to turn down offers for same-sex romance.
- Leliana says that she is a "poetess" to put off a crazy Templar. This is half true.
- Invoked by a female NPC in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, who will claim to have a date with your character to escape the local Casanova Wannabe; if you're playing a female character, there's some more dialogue along the lines of "yes, I know she's a girl".
Sonic pulls this in Sonic Zombie
. He says it when Amy asks him to "comfort" her after Creme is found dead.
- On The Simpsons, "I am gay" was Homer's suggestion to Bart as to how to let Bart's teacher down "easy" after Bart sent her a series of prank letters pretending to be a man responding to her personal ad. Homer's suggestion to Lisa how to gently let down Ralph was "Six simple words: I'm not gay, but I'll learn."
- In an episode of Futurama a stereotypical musclebound beach bully picks on Fry while flirting with Leela. Leela actually agrees to go with him, only for the bully to explain that he's a gay "professional beach bully'', meaning he picks on weaker guys and then throws fights against them for money, allowing the guys to impress their dates.
- On South Park, Chef tries to seduce a substitute teacher, Miss Ellen, only to find out that she is a lesbian. The boys, who all have Precocious Crushes on her, don't know what a lesbian is, and a flustered Chef explains that it means she only dates other lesbians. Naturally, the boys decide to become lesbians themselves, and Hilarity Ensues.
- Family Guy
- In "The Giggity Wife", the guys all go to Boston and go on a drunken bender. During which time Quagmire married an old, washed-up prostitute named Charmise. Quagmire doesn't want to be married to a prostitute (pretty rich coming from him!) but then learns that he'll likely lose a great deal of assets in a divorce. After two weeks of marriage, Charmise demands sex, and Quagmire tells her he's gay so he won't have to have sex with her. She grants him a no-fault divorce, but then catches Quagmire with heterosexual porn. Enraged, she calls off the divorce. Quagmire still insists that he's gay, and Charmise asks him to have sex with another man in front of her to prove it. Quagmire enlists Peter to "help" him, but both are repulsed by the idea. Charmise sees this, and grants Quagmire his divorce because she saw how far he was willing to go for it.
- In "Friends Without Benefits", Meg becomes obsessed with Kent Lastname, a jock in her school. Eventually, she decides to just ask him on a date and is over the moon when he accepts. He drops this on her when she tries to kiss him when he takes her home (her invitation to the movies was quite ambiguous, and he got the impression that she knew he was gay, and that she meant 'as friends'). And he has a crush on Chris. That girl can't catch a break.
- Earlier, in "Barely Legal", Brian tries to get out of a date with Meg by claiming that he's gay.
- This is an easy and very common excuse when someone is hit on in real life, especially if they don't want to insult the person hitting on them.
- Except for when the hitter promptly and selflessly offers to "fix" them.
- Pop star Ricky Martin, who came out of the closet as a gay man in 2010, has remarked that despite having publicly stated both his homosexuality and that he is in a relationship with another man, women still proposition him.
Ricky: They say very beautiful, very erotic things to me about what they want to do with me, which is nice, but I’m not interested.