Freddie: You're lucky you're straight Ash, otherwise you get one of these women who latch on to you for decades and never let go.A Fag Hag is a woman who associates closely with gay men. The term used to be an insult but is becoming increasingly adopted by the women themselves. Friendships between Fag Hags and gay men allow for closeness and intimacy without the danger of sexual feeling getting in the way. Fag Hags are stereotypically portrayed as overweight. At best, she's a classy BBW; at worst, she's a neurotic drama queen who is either promiscuous or perpetually single. In many cases, the Hag started hanging out with her gay friend because she was attracted to him, before he turns her down for obvious reasons (wishful thinking will ignore even the most Flamboyant Gay characteristics). The friendship lasts however, and some Fag Hags even seek out gay men—either because they find them nonthreatening or as a replacement for a 'proper' straight relationship. Gays who enjoy the company of these ladies do so for similar reasons, but it isn't uncommon for a gay man to see his Hag as a sort of maternal figure, especially if she's older than him and/or if his own mother rejected him. A Hag who acts as a mother figure to a group of gay men is sometimes called a "Wendy"—because she takes care of the Lost Boys. This trope has been heavily stereotyped in Real Life on all sides. A woman with a gay friend at all is often called a Fag Hag even if they simply enjoy each other's company with no ulterior motives. Some women, however, see all gay men as possible Pet Homosexuals, even though the men in question might find this patronizing. And lastly, by no means do all gay men enjoy female company; at best, some simply get along better with other men, and at worst they can be as misogynistic as a stereotypical straight male misogynist. Some women resent the name "Fag Hag" for multiple reasons, and are rather referred to as "Fruit Flies", "Mo Hos", "Gay Boy Bunnies", "Alternative Lifestyle Assistants" or something along those lines. The Japanese equivalent of this phrase, Okoge, literally means "the rice stuck to the bottom of a pot", playing off of Okama (literally, a type of pot for cooking rice), the slang term for homosexual men and drag queens. In German, it's "schwulenmutti". The equivalent for a man who hangs out with lesbians is a Lez Bro (or Dyke Tyke or Little Dutch Boy - think about it), but they're not quite as common in Real Life or pop culture. Fag Stag, a Token Straight man in a group of gay men, is slowly becoming more used, but nowhere near Lez Bro levels, let alone Fag Hag. Compare Yaoi Fangirl. The Pet Homosexual can be an inversion if it's a gay man whose friends are almost entirely straight women. See also Last Het Romance, where the woman may become a Fag Hag in response to her partner outing himself.
Ash: But you love her?
Freddie: Yes. We like her.
Ash: But you love her?
Freddie: Yes. We like her.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Kate Spencer, the titular character of the Manhunter comic is very much a fag hag; her closest (and arguably only) friend in the superhero business is gay and dating her paralegal. And if that's not enough, a comic set in the future shows her son is gay, too — and likely the heir to her title.
- ScottPilgrim has this to almost parodic levels. There are three decidedly heterosexual characters, one of whom has has recurring Ho Yay with another male character Played for Laughs. Eventually, the unambiguously straight characters can be counted on hand.
- Ed Brubaker's superhero/spy series Sleeper has a character named Fag Hag, because she's an energy vampire that can only drain the lifeforce of homosexuals (complete with Gaydar!) She considers it Blessed with Suck, since her closest friends were always gay.
- Beautie of Astro City is a a human-sized robotic fashion doll. She has an apartment above a gay bar and is friends to the local gay community because they're men who won't try to proposition her.
- In Kick-Ass, Katie Deauxma befriends Dave because she thinks he's gay and always wanted a gay friend.
- The author of Persepolis lives together with eight gay guys in one shared apartment in Vienna.
- Kate Bishop of Young Avengers and Hawkeye fame is a more subtle example. She's both good friends with Wiccan and Hulkling of said team (and the three of them are the three longest serving members of the team), and she became something of a surrogate daughter to a gay couple she met when she moved to the West Coast after she saved their wedding, while also cat-sitting for a lesbian couple.
- Mrs. Nussbaum from Circles is a widowed straight woman who loves Paulie and the others, despite her late homophobic husband.
- Fag Hag, obviously.
- Subversion: Dee from the movie Camp is called a Fag Hag but her definition of the word is a girl who only gay guys would hit on.
- Doris in Fame is referred to as a fag hag for her friendship with Montgomery.
- Jennifer Aniston's character being one of these drives the entire plot of the movie The Object of My Affection.
- Parodied in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang; Harry, after working closely with "Gay" Perry, ends up being humorously called out as a fag hag by Perry come the conclusion.
- Two such relationships in the Bridget Jones films and books.
- Bridget's friend Tom calls himself a "Hag Fag" as a gay man hanging out with three straight women: Bridget, Shazzer, and Jude.
- In the second film, Mark and his assistant Rebecca Gillies are hinted at having this relationship, especially considering since he doesn't slip his assistant's identity to his girlfriend.
- The Star Wars Expanded Universe gives us, of all people, Boba Fett. At the beginning of Legacy of the Force, his only friends are Goran Beviin and his spouse, Madrit Vasur. Yes, gays in the Star Wars universe might seem controversial, but it's overshadowed by other things.
- Common insult to the women in Brett Easton Ellis's The Rules of Attraction.
- Amy Pond from Doctor Who thought that her childhood friend, Rory, was gay, and she thought that she was this for years. She couldn't have been more wrong.
- The titular Grace from Will & Grace is the Fag Hag of Will.
- Ugly Betty has its fag hag in the form of Amanda.
- The final episode of SPACED shows Twist socializing in a gay club, but looking sad as she realizes she's thrown away some of her best friends.
- Edina from Absolutely Fabulous wants to be one of these, and frequently claims "All my friends are gay!", because she sees having a lot of gay friends as being fashionable. It isn't true. The closest she comes is her ex-husband Justin, and her former friend Max. And both are implied to have actually been turned gay by the act of sleeping with her.
- Jen from Dawson's Creek is a self-proclaimed fag hag, her best friend Jack being gay.
- In the recent Christmas episode of 30 Rock, Jenna Moroney describes her adoptive family as "four twenty-five year old gay guys."
- Her entourage in the episode where she decides to be (more) difficult consists of Camp Gay guys, too.
- Jenny for Eric on Gossip Girl.
- Sex and the City: All four of the girls at one time or another.
Lynne: This is my boyfriend Damien. I say boyfriend loosely as he is clearly a homosexual.
- Margaret Cho as Lynne:
- Referenced and inverted in an episode of ABC's Accidentally On Purpose.
- On Glee, Mercedes quickly becomes Kurt's "brassy hag" once she (finally) realizes romance is not an option. It's subverted when she hangs out with Kurt and his crush Blaine, and is bored out of her mind as the boys chat about theatre, fashion, and political issues relevant to them as gays. This results in her hearing nothing but the word "GAY" come out of their mouths.
Kurt & Blaine: Gay, gay, gay gay gay gay gay gay etc.Kurt: Oh my gosh, I open my mouth and a little purse falls out!Blaine: Oh my gosh, SO gay!
- Unfortunately, Kurt and Mercedes began drifting apart during the second season and into the third. However, Kurt has developed a close friendship with Rachel.
- When Tina has an obsessive crush on Blaine, he says she's hagged out. Later, when she realizes how silly she was, she says she feels she'll only ever be a hag for Blaine, Kurt, and all the other gay men she'll ever meet. They assure her she won't be.
- In a Saturday Night Live skit about Dumbledore coming out of the closet, JK Rowling (Amy Poehler) is on Larry King and reveals cut scenes from Harry Potter movies. In them Dumbledore is openly gay and Professor McGonagall is his faghag.
- The Sarah Silverman Program features Sarah who is best friends and neighbors to Steve and Bryan, the most obese, nerdy, stoner gay couple ever seen.
- The premise of the reality show Girl Who Like Boys Who Like Boys is filming several groups of girls and their own Pet Homosexual as they do... stuff.
- Noah's Arc: Brandy, Noah's boss, comes off as this at times.
- When a gay couple moves into the neighborhood in Desperate Housewives, Susan is ecstatic to have them as her Pet Homosexual "just like on tv". Needless to say they hate her instantly. Though a season or two later they eventually start getting along and hanging out.
- Subverted in an episode of Married... with Children. Peggy goes dancing with a gay guy and it is strictly platonic. But the gay guy's husband suspects that his partner is having an affair with Peggy!
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager: Ashley Juergens apparently, since she became close friends with the school's Token Gay guy.
- Two-time Survivor player Corinne Kaplan made a point in both games of seeking out and aligning with a gay player. In her second season, it was with a guy who wasn't even in her original tribe, meaning she was willing to adjust her *entire game plan* in favor of working with a gay guy.
Corinne: I love my gays.
- In Frankie Howerd Rather You Than Me, Jane says she finds the experience of being a hag "quite agreeable" when Frankie asks her if she's worried that being his beard has damaged her chances of meeting someone.
- Debbie from Queeras Folk definitely counts, though given the premise of the show any other heterosexual woman would also qualify.
- There is actually a song called "Fag Hag" by Lily Allen.
- In the musical production called Fairy Tales, the song "The Gay Guys" is about a woman bemoaning how every friend, every boyfriend, every husband, and even her father are gay, and warns the man asking her out that before the night is over she'll probably wind up turning him gay too.
- From Grandmaster Flash's and Furious Five's "The Message" (1982):
"Crazy lady, living in a bag, eating out of garbage pails, used to be a fag hag."
- In the play Freak, "Fag Hag" is literally the name of a character who practices a scene from Pygmalion with the "Gay Drama Kid" (another legitimate character in the play)
- Peejee for Jhim in Something*Positive. She gets over it (mostly), but only after Jhim moves to Washington D.C.
- Alison from My Life In Blue.
- Chris is a Fag Stag to EVERYONE in Fur-Piled.
- Rain has a few instances of this. Rudy addresses Rain as his Fag Hag following their break-up. Also, Gavin is Maria's fake boyfriend, making him a Lez Bro. Also, as Gavin is the only straight member of the main characters, he counts as one all his own.
- From The Onion, Gay Man, Unattractive Woman Form Tight Bond.
- Disappointing Gay Best Friend. 'nuff said.
- In Death Note: The Abridged Series (kpts4tv), Takada is this for Light.
- Suzie Collins of Where the Bears Are hangs out with many gay men. They aren't into her, but that doesn't stop her from sexually harassing them anyway.
- in Ask Hoops and Dumbbell, Dumbbell meets a lesbian who admits that she seeks out friendships with gay stallions because she finds friendship easier when Incompatible Orientation isn't a risk. Dumbbell accepts this(As opposed to a mare who previous tried to turn him into a Pet Homosexual), and the two quickly strike up a friendship.
- When Stan of American Dad! decides he wants to be gay (long story), he tries to cheer up his despondent wife Francine by claiming she can be his Hag.
- According to the commentary, they actually wanted to say Fag Hag, but FOX said no. When they asked the Log Cabin Republicans (gay Republicans) about it, they also said no.
- Toot to Xandir on Drawn Together, played for very Squicky laughs when she more or less rapes him and manages to get pity-sex out of him.
- Condie Ling of Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World, who makes up for her inability to find a date (by Rick's own word, she turned him gay in high school) by hanging out with homosexuals (who are less prone to reject her, or at least, reject her less violently) and has a serious Het Is Ew attitude.
- Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy's Jimmy and Sarah seem to grow into this in later seasons, as Jimmy's Camp Gay tendencies were amped up more and more.
- Comedienne Margaret Cho is a self-described fag hag, which she claims stems from growing up in San Francisco and being raised almost exclusively by gay men, since she bonded with the gay kids at her school because they were outcasts just as much as she was for being overweight and Asian. "They say certain smells bring you back to your childhood. Well, the smell that brings me back is balls in panty hose!" She went on to talk about how "We were your date to the prom, and dragged your sorry asses through the Underground Railroad..." Cho can be described as the patron saint of Fag Hags.
- That title may have to go to Oscar Wilde's close female friend Ada "Sphinx" Leverson, who was the Victorian equivalent of a Yaoi Fangirl. Leverson's Fag Hag-ness was considered as poisonous in some circles as homosexuality. A disguised version of her helped the Depraved Homosexual characters based on Wilde and his lover Alfred "Bosie" Douglas worm their way into society in order to corrupt it in the and Wilde-bashing roman a cléf The Green Carnation.
- Yaoi Fangirls. At best, they'll be genuine friends with gay guys and just so happen to find them attractive. At worst, they'll pretend to be friends just for cheap thrills.
- The CBC once even aired a documentary about fag hags.
- Sex columnist Dan Savage apparently regularly gets letters from men who are attracted to women but unsuccessful with them, asking him if their sexual problems are because they're gay. Savage points out that gay men and straight women not infrequently get along - dare one say it? - fabulously.
- Kevin Smith is an outspoken Fag Stag.
- Same thing with Daniel Radcliffe.
- Hugh Jackman is another notable Fag Stag, which has unfortunately lent itself to scurrilous gossip that he himself is gay. (No, say insiders, he's extremely devoted to his wife and has never made overtures toward his gay friends.)
- Israeli singer Bo‘az Ma‘udanote is a self-admitted fag stag.
- Kathy Griffin. Most notably, one of her closest friends — and they are genuinely close friends, though he sometimes wishes they weren't, usually when she's embarrassing him live on national television — is Anderson Cooper, CNN's famous (and famously gay) Silver Fox anchor.
- Comedienne Lisa Lampanelli said in her book, Chocolate, Please, that if it wasn't for gay men, "us fat chicks wouldn't have any friends."
- Diamanda Galás.
- Lady Miss Kier, formerly of Deee-Lite.