open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Ai Yori Aoshi has spoiled Mayu, demure Aoi and loudmouth Tina.
- AKB49 - Renai Kinshi Jourei has haughty Ai, quiet Hiroko and charismatic Minorunote .
- Alien Nine has Yuri Otani (femme), Kumi Kawakmura (neither), and Kasumi Tomine (butch).
- Blue Exorcist has Shiemi, Izumo and Shura for the leads. If you go by the students, Shiemi, Paku and Izumo is the order.
- Digimon Adventure's trio of girls are Sora (butch), Mimi (femme) and Kari (neither).
- FLCL: Mamimi (femme), Eri Ninamori (neither), and Haruko (butch).
- In Jinsei, we have Fumi as the femme, Ikumi as the butch and Rino, who is neither.
- Highschool of the Dead has spear martial artist Rei Miyamoto (butch), brainiac Saya Takagi (neither), and ditzy school nurse Shizuka Marikawa (femme). Saeko Busujima, being both a Lady of War and the kendo club's captain, is more or less a one-woman group of Town Girls.
- Is This a Zombie? has Seraphim (neither), Maelstrom (butch) and Sarasvati (femme).
- The first series: Ojou Aoi is the femme, tomboy Minami is the butch, and shy but snarky Rinko is the neither.
- Jewelpet Sunshine: shy and understanding Hinata is the femme, delinquent tomboy Shouko is the butch, and haughty Kanon is the neither.
- Jewelpet Happiness: Proper Lady Nene is the femme, tomboy Ruruka is the butch, and clumsy, cheerful Chiari is the neither.
- Kirarin Revolution has this dynamic in MilkyWay during the third season: newcomers Noel and Kobeni are the Butch and Femme, respectively, and returning character Kilari is the Neither.
- Classic example in Magic Knight Rayearth with boisterous tomboy Hikaru (Butch), bookish smart girl Fuu (Neither) and long haired ojou Umi (Femme).
- Nisekoi has Kosaki and Marika as the femmes, Tsugumi as the butch and Chitoge as the neither.
- Outlaw Star has the sweet and gentle non-fighter bio-android Melfina, Aisha Clan Clan, a hot tempered, hard drinking Ctarl Ctarl Cat Girl always looking for a fight, and "Twilight" Suzuka, an elegantly dressed and graceful assassin.
- The pink leaders of Pretty Cure are not so much a straight example as they are a sliding scale of this. Nagisa Misumi, Saki Hyuuga, and Hibiki Hojo are on the butch side of the scale; Nozomi Yumehara, Miyuki Hoshizora, and Haruka Haruno are on the femme side; and Love Momozono, Tsubomi Hanasaki, Mana Aida, and Megumi Aino are all neithers.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
- Rebuild of Evangelion has Rei Ayanami (femme), Mari Illustrious Makinami (neither), Asuka Shikinami Langley (butch).
- Saber Marionette J:
- The Marionettes: Lime (neither), Cherry (femme), and Bloodberry (butch).
- Also, the Saberdolls: Tiger (neither), Luchs (femme), and Panzer (butch).
- The Outer Senshi from Sailor Moon: Haruka (butch), Michiru (femme), and Setsuna (neither).
- Among the Inner Senshi, Usagi plays a different role in each of two such trios: she's the femme to Ami's neither and Rei's butch, and the neither to Makoto's butch and Minako's femme. Rei is herself the neither to Ami's femme and Makoto's butch. Interestingly, in the Usagi-Ami-Rei triad, Usagi is a borderline case: she's more romantic than Ami, but Ami was herself very shy at one time before befriending Usagi, who is the more outgoing of the two.
- In the manga, Minako is butch, while Rei is femme, and Makoto is neither.
- Shugo Chara! has Amu's guardian characters: sporty Ran (butch), artsy Miki (neither), and prim and proper Su (femme).
- Urusei Yatsura: Benten -who is tomboyish, bad-mouthed and violent-, Oyuki -who is calm, demure and feminine-, and their best friend -and female lead- Lum -who is neither tomboyish nor girly-.
- Definitely, Maybe has demanding Emily, free-spirited April and aggressive Summer.
- The Hong Kong flick Heroic Trio consists of a young girly-girl, a dark anti-hero, and their leader the motherly one who seems to be somewhere in between in terms of femininity.
- The women of the Indiana Jones films: Willie Scott, Dr. Elsa Schneider, and Marion Ravenwood.
- Despicable Me has Margo as the neither (the oldest, smartest and more level-headed one), Edith as the butch (the middle one who could well be One of the Boys) and Agnes as the femme (the youngest, sickeningly cute one).
- In Mean Girls we have The Plastics (Femme), Janice (Butch) and Cady (Neither). Cady's chickification becomes one of the major plot points.
- Bachelorette has the tomboyish Gena, the over-the-top sexy Katie and the elegant yet intimidating Regan.
- The Britney Spears vehicle Crossroads has Mimi (butch), Kit (femme) and Lucy (neither).
- The Duff has sweet-natured fashionista Jess as the femme, tough-as-nails hacker/athlete Casey as the butch, and smart honor student Bianca as the neither.
- Leviathan1989 has no-nonsense Olympic runner Williams (butch), sexy redhead secretary Bowman (femme) and Corrupt Corporate Executive Martin (neither).
- The live action Scooby-Doo film appears to have the set up - with asexual brainiac Velma as the butch, Damsel in Distress Daphne as the femme and Cloud Cuckoo Lander Mary Jane as the neither.
- Alien: Resurrection is the only film in the Alien series to feature this. Call is the butch - with Boyish Short Hair and being revealed as a robot. Hillard is the femme - in a relationship with Elgyn and the most delicate of the team. Ripley is the neither - she's a half human-half Alien hybrid.
- The Faculty's three female protagonists. Ambiguously Gay Stokeley is the butch, Alpha Bitch Delilah is the femme and Country Mouse Marybeth is the neither.
- Thor has Action Girl Sif (butch), Hot Scientist Jane (femme) and Plucky Comic Relief Darcy (neither).
- Bess, George and Nancy in all incarnations of Nancy Drew. Also a good example of Blonde, Brunette, Redhead and Beauty, Brains and Brawn, though not respectively.
- In 'Phenomena'' are the 3 main girls Mijam (Femme), Millian (neither), and Ilke (Butch).
- The Wheel of Time gives Rand one each in his harem: Aviendha is butch, Min is neither (or rather, both), Elayne is femme.
- Lori, Cally and Bex in Spy High
- The Great Gatsby has tomboyish Jordan Baker, girly-girl Daisy, and sexy but hardly girly Myrtle.
- Tamora Pierce's Emelan series (composed of three series so far: A Circle of Magic, The Circle Opens, and The Circle Reforged) has a trio of Town Girls: girly-girl Sandrilene fa Toren; aromantic asexual Tris Chandler, who states openly in the later books that she's not interested in either men or women; and blacksmith Daja Kisubo, the tallest and physically strongest of the Winding Circle quartet and the one who, initially, has the most experience with physical combat, thanks to Traders teaching their kids how to use staffs in fights.
- Season one of Degrassi The Next Generation has queen Bee Paige, nice girl Terri, and top dog Ashley.
- Season five of Sabrina the Teenage Witch has sorority girl Morgan, well adjusted Sabrina and punk Roxy.
- Sonny with a Chance has narcissistic Tawni, optimistic Sonny and dangerous Zora.
- Victorious has the sweet, naive and innocent Cat, the creative, responsible, and friendly Tori and the dark, sarcastic and rude Jade.
- The first season of Zoey 101 has ditzy, boy-crazy Nicole, bright and friendly Zoey, and aggressive tough girl Dana.
- In Smallville, Lana Lang is the femme, Chloe Sullivan is in between and Lois Lane is the butch.
- Bomb Girls has tomboyish Betty, girl-next-door Kate, and uptown Gladys.
- The first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation had Counselor Deanna Troi, Dr. Beverly Crusher, and Lt. Tasha Yar.
- Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills brought use rich girl Nicole, tough girl Drew, and in-betweener, Lori.
- Seasons 1 through 3 of Star Trek: Voyager have the sweet unofficial nurse and aspiring botanist Kes, the maternal and protective Captain Janeway, and the conflict-prone half-Klingon engineer Lt. Torres.
- Friends has spoiled rich girl Rachel, bossy and domineering Monica, and in-between Granola Girl Phoebe.
- Last Man Standing has girly girl Mandy, in-betweener Kristin, and tomboy Eve.
- House of Anubis has sweet fashionista Amber (femme), level-headed Nina (neither), and hot-tempered Patricia (butch).
- Saved by the Bell:
- The three girls in Zack Morris's life: Kelly (femme) Nickie (neither) and Tori (butch).
- Within the Six Student Clique Jessie is butch, Lisa takes the femme role and Kelly slots into neither.
- Step by Step has ditzy Valley Girl Karen (femme), athletic tomboy Al (butch), and in-between Dana.
- H2O: Just Add Water:
- The first two seasons have sweet naive Cleo (femme), level-headed Emma (neither) and rebellious tomboy Rikki (butch).
- In season 3, Rikki is still the butch, Idol Singer Bella takes over the femme role, and Cleo becomes the neither.
- The Big Bang Theory has adorable girly Bernadette (femme), brainy Amy (neither) and The Lad-ette Penny (butch).
- Seventh Heaven has Naïve Everygirl Lucy (femme), tomboy Mary (butch) and the youngest sister Ruthie is in-between.
- Pixelface has the bubbly ditzy dance host Kiki (femme), aristocratic Action Girl Alexia (neither), and the Survival Horror waitress turned zombie killer Claireparker (butch).
- How I Met Your Mother has Raised as the Opposite Gender Robin (butch), shopping-holic Lily (femme) and the nerdy mother as the in-between.
- Punky Brewster has Punky, a tomboy who wants to be an astronaut and loves her big dog (butch) and her two female friends: Nice Girl Cherie who has both tomboy and girly girl traits (neither) and Lovable Alpha Bitch Margaux who loves pink frilly clothes and jewelry (femme).
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? has the three main girls during seasons 3-5: Tomboy Kiki who does not like dresses or shopping (butch), Samantha who has the boys crazy for her and tells the more girl-centered stories (femme) and Betty Ann who is not that girly but she's calmer than brash outspoken Kiki (neither). Before Kristen was replaced by Sam, she filled the femme role - she frequently dressed up for her stories and was referred to as "Miss Perfect" by the other characters.
- In Charmed when the sisters are turned into the Greek Goddesses, they fall into these roles (which they don't normally). Paige is now Goddess of War (butch), Phoebe Goddess of Love (femme) and Piper Goddess of Earth (neither).
- In season one of Agents Of Shield, The Team has sweet and adorkable biologist Jemma Simmons, snarky hacker Skye, and stoic Badass Melinda May.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine has Alpha Bitch dance enthusiast Gina Linetti (femme), Go-Getter Girl Amy Santiago (neither), and grumpy Badass Biker Rosa Diaz (butch).
- Supergirl2015 has no-nonsense DEO agent Alex (butch), fashionable media mogul Cat Grant (femme) and alien Kara/Supergirl (neither).
- Power Rangers Mystic Force has Tomboy Vida as the butch (though ironically also the Pink Ranger), Shrinking Violet Madison as the femme and The Mentor Udonna as the neither.
- Once Upon a Time's three female leads only in the first season. Tough cookie bail bondsperson Emma Swan (butch), sweet wholesome school teacher Mary Margaret Blanchard (femme) and the mayor Regina Mills (neither). This is only the latter two's Storybrooke personas.
- The 2015 Divas Revolution storyline saw three sets of alliances forming in the women's division, each of them slotting into one of the archetypes. PCB represent the Butch - as all three members are tomboys, with hard-hitting wrestling styles. Team Bella represent the Femme - all three are model-turned-wrestlers leaning towards She-Fu moves. And Team BAD represent the Neither - the stable is not particularly masculine nor feminine. Notably within Team BAD itself, the members fit the archetypes. Tamina the Brawn Hilda is the Butch, Sasha Banks the 'ratchet' is the Femme and Naomi is the Neither.
- Final Fantasy IX gives us the Burmecian dragon knight Freya (butch), Princess Classic Garnet (femme) and Bratty Half-Pint Eiko (neither).
- Final Fantasy X-2 has the three main playable characters; Rikku (neither), Yuna (femme), and Paine (butch).
- Final Fantasy XII has the Proud Warrior Race Girl Fran (butch), soft spoken dancer Penelo (femme) and leader of La Résistance Ashe (neither).
- In Final Fantasy XIII , the three female playable characters apply, with Fang as the butch, Vanille as the femme, and Lightning as neither. It also helps that there is a lot of Subtext in Fang and Vanille's relationship.
- In BlazBlue, Noel, Tsubaki and Makoto were this when they were in the NOL academy. They even fit the geographic part; Noel (middle) was adopted into a minor noble family, Tsubaki (girly) came from a noble family and Makoto (tomboy) was a squirrel beastkin who came from the countryside outside the cities.
- The 3 main ladies of Final Fight are Jessica (Femme), Lucia (Butch) and Maki (Neither)
- Siskier (femme), Aegina (neither), and Medoute (butch) in Blaze Union.
- Fire Emblem:
- The heroines of the three routes of Fate/stay night are the shy domestic Sakura (Femme), the competitive overachiever Rin (Neither), and the stoic fighter Saber (Butch).
- The Powerpuff Girls has Bubbles (she is the joy and the laughter!), Blossom (commander and the leader!), and Buttercup (she is the toughest fighter!). They're supposed to be representations of "sugar, spice and everything nice" (Bubbles, Buttercup and Blossom respectively). This is more relevant in the anime remake Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z.
- 6teen has Caitlin (the fashionable girly girl), Jen (the smart, sensible girl), and Nikki (the sarcastic punk-rocker). Interestingly, while Caitlin acts more like the uptown girl and Nikki the out of town girl, Caitlin is the one who is technically from out of town since she is the newest member of the group.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has the Cutie Mark Crusaders; the ditzy Sweetie Belle, the plucky Applebloom, and the tough Scootaloo.
- Monster High uses sarcastic exchange student, Abby, and royal superdiva, Cleo, in connection with average, everyday girl, Frankie.
- X-Men: Evolution the initial X-girls have Emo Teen Rogue as the butch, Valley Girl Kitty as the femme and The Ace Jean Grey as the neither.
- Sky Dancers Jade is Uptown (Ballerina, raised by successful parents), Camille is Downtown (Likes Jazz, is a creative thinker), and Angelica is Out-of-Town (Southern rocker, has sarcastic demenor).
- Stoked is the Expy of 6teen, with Emma as Downtown, Lo as Uptown, and Fin as, well, Out-of-Town.
- Adventure Time has the three girls in Finn's life: Priness Bubblegum as the Femme, Marceline as the Butch, and Flame Princess as the Neither.
- Baby Looney Tunes has Lola, the athletic girl who loves basketball and badminton (butch), Petunia, the quiet and sweet girly girl (femme), and Melissa, who is blunt, outspoken and a bit bossy, but not as sporty as Lola (neither).
- Teen Titans has Starfire as the sweet, naive, girly one (femme), Raven as the level-headed bookworm (neither), and Terra as the tomboyish new girl (butch).
- Drawn Together features Princess Clara as femme, Foxxy Love as butch, and Toot Braunstein as neither.
- Strawberry Shortcake has another six girl grouping: Fashionista Raspberry Torte, and beautician Lemon Meringue are the femme group, country store workaholic Orange Blossom, and practical jokester Plum Pudding are the butch group, leaving the title character with Blueberry Muffin in the neither group.
- Avatar The Last Airbender has Katara (Femme), Suki (Neither), and Toph (Butch).
- The villains feature Ty Lee (Femme), Azula (Neither), and Mai (Butch).
- The quiet Mai is the Neither, the ruthless Azula is the Butch, and the perky Ty Lee is the Femme.
- The villains feature Ty Lee (Femme), Azula (Neither), and Mai (Butch).
- Gravity Falls has Mabel and her two friends Grenda and Candy (introduced in "Double Dipper"), who are Femme, Butch, and Neither respectively.
- From Ed, Edd n Eddy the sweet, pretty cheerleader Nazz is the Femme; Sarah, who enjoys playing with dolls but is also very tough is the Neither; and all three Kanker Sisters, who live outside the Cul-de-sac and are very aggressive, are the Butch.
- From Totally Spies! we have the Butch, Femme, Neither trio represented by Alex, Clover and Sam.
- The Chipettes from Alvin and the Chipmunks: Brittany (Femme), Eleanor (Butch) and Jeannette (Neither).
- Exo Squad had pacifist soldier Nara (Femme), wrench wench Maggie (Neither), and bad girl sergeant Rita Torres (Butch). Although Rita doesn't have a skinhead haircut like Maggie, the nose ring made a statement.
- Henry VIII's first three wives and the mothers of his children are proud Spanish princess Catherine of Aragon, most beloved, modest, maternal Jane Seymour and the exotic, seductive, ambitious Anne Boleyn.