Western Animation: Lady Lovely Locks
Another Merchandise-Driven animated series from the 1980s. This one debuted in 1987, produced by DIC Entertainment.The show told the tale of pretty blonde-haired Princess Lady Lovely Locks and her Fairy Companions the Pixietails. Most of what they have to worry about comes from the evil Duchess Ravenwaves who wants to take over the land Lovely Locks rules. There's also a family of friendly dragons and a prince who turns into a dog. Yeah.
Tropes featured include:
- All Trolls Are Different: This one can change size!
- Alliterative Name: Lady Lovely Locks
- Animesque: Production duties were shared by Japan and France, while animation was done in Japan exclusively, like many American cartoons of this time.
- Animorphism: The aforementioned dog/prince's "cruel curse".
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Lady Lovely Locks, Maiden Fair Hair, and Maiden Curly Crown.
- Damsel in Distress: Nine times out of ten, the Pixietails save Lady Lovely Locks from whatever trouble she is in this week.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Lady Lovely Locks, by way of Limited Wardrobe.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Fairest of Them All: Ravenwave's MO.
- Femme Fatale: Duchess Ravenwaves.
- Freudian Trio: Lady Lovely Locks is the down-to-earth ego, coolheaded and intelligent Maiden Fair Hair is the superego, and comical and impulsive Maiden Curly Crown is the id.
- Hidden Object Game: Illustration of The Merch from books, puzzles, cards, etc. have hidden pixie tales.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: With VHS releases from Hi-Tops Video out of print, and how.
- Non-Indicative Name: Maiden FairHair is not fair-haired.
- Our Dragons Are Different: For one thing, baby dragons look more like furry pigs. For another, they grow from a magical tree.
- Pimped-Out Dress
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: The Princess is supposed to be the ruler of her realm, but she doesn't actually do any ruling.
- Pretty in Mink: Fur trimmed coats worn when they go someplace cold.
- Princess Classic: Lady Lovely Locks:
- Princesses Prefer Pink
- Purple Is Powerful: Duchess Ravenwaves.
- Small Annoying Creature: Both the aforementioned Pixietails and the baby dragons.
- Vague Age: Lady, the Maidens and Duchess Ravenwaves all look very much like children, but their voices and stations of authority suggest that they are young adults.
- Verbal Tic: The Pixietails added "ix" to the end of every word they say, making most of their speech nigh incomprehensible.
- Villain Ball: A bad guy has the princess in his grasp, and spends too much time menacing her rather than getting her hair.