open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Winry Rockbell of Fullmetal Alchemist is often portrayed wearing one of these, or just as often a tube top, such as in our page picture for Wrench Wench.
- In a scene near the end of Black Magic M-66, Action Girl Intrepid Reporter Sybil wears a tank top. Watch it here.
- Revy of Black Lagoon is almost never seen out of a black tank top and short-shorts. She's a horrendously profane Lad-ette with a violent temper and a very deadly penchant for Guns Akimbo.
- Tank Girl refers to the fact that she drives a tank, but she also wears a tank top in the comic and The Film of the Book.
- Wonder Girl
- The original Wonder Girl (who was either Diana Prince or Donna Troy, depending on the continuity) wore a sleeveless shirt. It was depicted as either a sleeveless t-shirt or a tank top Depending on the Artist.
- Cassandra Sandsmark (pictured above) wore a tank top and jeans following Infinite Crisis. While Cassie is indeed a tomboy, as well as a Flying Brick, the real reason she chose to wear the outfit was in honor of her dead love, Superboy, who himself wore Civvie Spandex in the forms of jeans and a t-shirt. As shown in the picture, she also wore a tank top as an undergarment.
- Phoebe in Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse is a scruffy, hard-drinking, chain-smoking assassin and stripper who, when offstage, always wears a white tank top.
- While the hoodie is traditionally long sleeve, in Supernannya/Pokémon AU, Jade Tanner wears a tank top jacket, with nothing other than matching garments.
- Captain Kanril Eleya usually wears a Starfleet uniform, but when she gets a few days' shore leave in The Wrong Reflection so she can attend her sister's wedding, she changes into a tank top afterward. Eleya is a former Bajoran Militia NCO with a Lad-ette tendencies and advanced hand-to-hand combat training.
- Rhythmic Pretty Cure:
- Tsumugi Nikaido, being the most tomboyish main character in addition to one of the tougher girls in her rhythmic gymnastics class (not to mention a karateka), wears a tank top and jean shorts with her RG clothes.
- Another sporty girl in the same class, minor character Masako Yukihiro (a wingback for her school's association football squad), wears a tank biketard.
- Subverted with cheerleader Chiyo Natsuki and swimmer Akiko Kitamura, both also minor characters and in the same RG class. They do wear tank clothes (an actual tank top in Chiyo's case), but they're both more feminine types.
Film - Animated
- Helga Sinclair, the militant Baroness Dragon to the Big Bad, wears one at the end of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, despite it being anachronistic for the time period.
- Eliza Thornberry of The Wild Thornberrys movie fits the tomboy part of the Tomboy and Girly Girl dynamic she has with her sister Debbie with her love of adventures and constant wearing of a tank top throughout the movie.
- Action Girl Black Widow wears a white tank top when she's off duty on Ultimate Avengers and its sequel.
Film - Live Action
- In the Alien franchise:
- Michelle Rodriguez, in just about every role she's ever been in, but especially The Fast and the Furious films. Rodriguez is well known for being Typecast as "the butch chick who dies in every movie."
- The Agent Rivera of Machete wears one, and in promotional materials is almost always shown holding or pointing a gun to emphasize her Action Girl status.
- In The Terminator, Sarah Connor becomes a tank-top wearing Action Girl at the end of the movie. In Terminator 2: Judgment Day, she wears one practically the entire movie after Taking a Level in Badass.
- Kim in Ulvesommer prefers wearing those. Justified in that she's a climber and it's summer.
- Lieutenant Karly Brant from Big Ass Spider! wears a black tank top around the end of the movie.
- Anna Gonsalves, a guerrilla fighter in Predator, wears a white tank top for most of the movie. Justified since most of the film is set in the jungles of South America.
- Juno from The Descent mainly wears a sleeveless outfit during most of the movie, also Sarah becomes a tank top wearing Action Girl after discarding layers of clothing during the movie.
- Park Ranger Alex from Tasmanian Devils wears a white tank top around the end of the movie after removing her uniform.
- Mikaela Banes from the Transformers Film Series is a Wrench Wench and is sometimes seen wearing tank tops, especially in the second movie.
- The entire female military research team from the Direct-to-DVD movie Journey to the Center of the Earth.
- She may not be very tomboyish, but Claire Dearing from Jurassic World starts to wear a tank top after she Took a Level in Badass.
- Dawes from The Marine 4: Moving Target, wears one at the end of the movie after ditching her uniform.
- Marci Eyre from Spiders, who during the movie loses layers of her clothing and is left in just her tank top for the reminder of the film, by the time she's wearing her tank top she Took a Level in Badass.
- Alexandra from Spiders II: Breeding Ground who ditches her black shirt for her grey tank top underneath as she fights off the spiders, free's Jason, messes up with the lab and fights off Grbac.
- Denise from Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse who has her Action Girl moments as she fights off against the zombies and wears a white tank top during the movie.
- Special Agent Hutchinson from Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus, who spends most of the movie in a tank top.
- Mason Weaver from Kong: Skull Island, wears a tanktop for most of the movie. Justified considering the film's tropical setting.
- Angela Vidal from the [REC] franchise, who spends the first, second and fourth movie in a white tanktop, even if she ends up wearing something else, she will strip to her white tanktop later on.
- Alice from the from the Resident Evil franchise whose main outfit in the second and sixth movie consist of a tanktop, Zig-Zagged with the first movie where she wears a red sleeveless dress instead.
- MythBusters: Kari Byron is not very tomboyish, but often wore a tank top on the show, and she's definitely a Wrench Wench, with great engineering prowess and a passion for geeky science.
- Unforgettable: Cowboy Cop Carrie Wells almost invariably turns up at crime scenes in a tank top and slacks, weather permitting. By contrast the female detectives in the supporting cast (Nina in season one, Murray post-retool) wear pantsuits.
- This is how Happy Quinn from Scorpion usually dresses. She's versed in mechanics, her clothing is utilitarian, and she's very forthright and outspoken.
- The Lad-ette Dee Reynolds on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is often seen wearing those.
- Jessica Jones: The eponymous protagonist is a hard-drinking bruiser, and when Jessica is not wearing her everyday black jacket, she's often wearing Tank Tops.
- Sydney Fox from Relic Hunter, would often wear tank tops during her adventures.
- Star Trek: Voyager. B'Elanna Torres strips down to give the audience some tank-top fanservice whenever she gets hot and sweaty fighting or fixing something. Captain Janeway has been known to do the same.
- Lara Croft of Tomb Raider, one of gaming's most prominent Action Girls, wears this type of outfit.
- Sonya Blade has worn one in pretty much every appearance in the Mortal Kombat series, in keeping with her military background. Amounts of midriff and cleavage showing, of course, vary from game to game or movie to movie.
- Tomboyish Wrench Wench Ann from Harvest Moon and Harvest Moon: Magical Melody wears a jacket over her tank top.
- Princess Daisy from Super Mario Bros. is always wearing a tank top in the Mario Sports spin-off games.
- Tomboyish Lad-ette Zii of Ménage à 3 has a fairly varied wardrobe, but mostly tends to T-shirts — although some of them are short and sleeveless, verging on the tank top look. Still, the stage costume created for her when she gets her band up and running incorporates a fancy embellished tank top, allowing her to look glitzy without sacrificing her tomboy style.
- Futurama: Leela's Limited Wardrobe is a white tank top and black pants. Leela is the strongest member of the cast, physically, and is quite the Action Girl.
- Steven Universe: Amethyst wears two tank tops and is characterized as a Lad-ette.
- The Legend of Korra:
- Marceline in Adventure Time is a tough rock chick who loves fighting, and often wears tank tops and jeans in various colors.
- Marie in Ed Eddn Eddy wears a black tank top and is by far the most tomboyish of all the girls.
- Wendy in Gravity Falls sometimes wears a white tank top if she's not wearing her green, flannel shirt.