Film: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Remake (or reimagining, as the marketing preferred) of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), released in 2003. It was the first horror film remake produced by Platinum Dunes.Five youths driving through Texas run afoul of family of deranged maniacs named the Hewitts, including its sadistic patron Sheriff Hoyt and the disfigured butcher named Leatherface.A Prequel to the film was released in 2006.
This film provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: A minor example. In the opening scene, the characters are listening to Sweet Home Alabama, even though the film is set in 1973 and the song wasn't released until 1974.
- Asshole Victim: Sheriff Hoyt.
- Broken Heel: At one point, it's Leatherface who trips during the chase.
- The Cameo: Harry Jay Knowles shows up as a severed head in the Hewitts' basement.
- Car Fu: Erin runs over Sheriff Hoyt repeatedly.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Monty has a small dog that, after his introduction, never appears again, in either the films or comics.
- Deadly Road Trip: When you're taking a road trip through Texas, never make a stop at the Hewitt's house.
- Determinator: Even after getting one of his arms cut off, Leatherface still tries to kill Erin.
- Driven to Suicide: The hitchhiker, who was the Final Girl of another story, decides to take the easy way out rather than go a second round with the Hewitt's.
- Evil Cripple: Monty is an amputee with both his legs as mere stumps.
- Face-Revealing Turn: After killing Pepper, Leatherface turns to face Erin, revealing that he's wearing her boyfriend's face.
- Final Girl: Erin escapes after being picked up by a trucker.
- Fingore: The fingernail ripping scene.
- Gilligan Cut:Pepper: Well, I'll tell you this much. There is no possible way I'm ever getting back in that van.
- Gorn: The movie is a shameless, grim, depressing, endless bloodbath.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: Hoyt breaks a bottle into Morgan's face.
- Groin Attack:
- Morgan is killed when Leatherface hangs him from a chandelier and saws him in half from the crotch upward.
- When Leatherface takes a swing at her in the meat locker later on, Erin manages to kick him in the balls.
- Harbinger of Impending Doom: The rambling traumatized hitchhiker, who commits suicide shortly after being found by the protagonists.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Averted, shockingly. Despite being a crucial part of the series, there's no references to cannibalism in the remake.
- Mercy Kill: Missing a leg and left hanging on a meat hook, Andy convinces Erin to mercy kill him.
- Meaningful Echo: When Erin is picked by the trucker near the end of the remake, she repeats nearly everything babbled by the deranged girl she and her friends had picked up earlier in the film.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jessica Biel in a wet tanktop.
- Erica Leerhsen as well in little clothing.
- Novelization: By Stephen Hand.
- Redemption Equals Death: Hewitt family member Jedidiah was originally supposed to be killed by Leatherface for helping Erin and Morgan escape, but the scene was scrapped for being "too intense".
- Morgan sacrifices himself to save Erin
- Sex Equals Death: Morgan mentions this to Pepper and Andy, citing high STD rates.
- Torture Cellar: A large portion of the Hewitt's household has cutting tools and meat hooks for Leatherface to use.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation Franchise/The Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation Slasher Movie The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Films Of The 2000s-Franchises The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation Horror Films The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning