(or reimagining, as the marketing preferred) of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
, released in 2003. It was the first horror film remake produced by Platinum Dunes.
Five youths driving through Texas run afoul of family of deranged maniacs named the Hewitts, including its sadistic patron Sheriff Hoyt and the disfigured butcher named Leatherface.
to the film was released in 2006
This film provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Sheriff Hoyt (portrayed by R. Lee Ermey) at one point calls Morgan "maggot".
- Broken Heel: At one point, it's Leatherface who trips during the chase.
- The Cameo: Harry Jay Knowles shows up as a severed head in the Hewitts' basement.
- Car Fu: Erin runs over Sheriff Hoyt repeatedly.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Monty has a small dog that, after his introduction, never appears again, in either the films or comics.
- Determinator: Even after getting one of his arms cut off , Leatherface still tries to kill Erin.
- Face-Revealing Turn: After killing Pepper, Leatherface turns to face Erin, revealing that he's wearing her boyfriend's face.
- Novelization: The film had one.
- Redemption Equals Death: Hewitt family member Jedidiah was originally supposed to be killed by Leatherface for helping Erin and Morgan escape, but the scene was scrapped for being "too intense".
- Morgan sacrifices himself to save Erin
- Sex Equals Death: Morgan mentions this to Pepper and Andy, citing high STD rates.