Film: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
The Next Generation
is the fourth The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
film from the year 1994.
A bunch of teens drive off from prom night grounds and end up in a car crash. This leads to further trouble as they encounter the crazy Texas family we all know.
This film has the examples of:
- Artificial Limbs: Vilmer's weird leg contraption.
- Body Horror: Rothman's abdominal mutilations.
- The Cameo: Marilyn Burns, Paul A. Partain and John Dugan (Sally, Franklin and Grandpa from the first film) all appear briefly at the end of the film.
- Canon Discontinuity: The director intended the film to be a true sequel to the original.
- Car Fu: Vilmer repeatedly runs Sean over with his tow truck.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Jenny loses her shoes early on and is barefoot for the rest of the movie.
- Domestic Abuser:
- Jenny's asshole stepfather.
- Vilmer has a habit of smacking Darla around, though she's perfectly capable of hitting back.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: A character with whom the protagonists are involved in a car crash is credited as "I'm Not Hurt".
- Final Girl: Jenny.
- Gainax Ending: It says a lot about the ending that a plane suddenly flying down, killing Vilmer with its propeller and then vanishing again is one of the least objectionable things that happens.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The film starts on a prom night, which quickly goes down south.
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: Even though it is regarded by the director (Kim Henkel, co-creator of the original TCM) as the "real" sequel to the first one (in the form of a semi-remake), many elements of this film make no sense whatsoever. Among them are the facts that Leatherface is now apparently a transvestite, whose brother is a trucker with a self-made cybernetic leg, and the whole family belongs to the secret society known as the Illuminati (which, according to the film, planned JFK's assassination), which is run by the government, whose leader is shown to be somewhat alien in nature.
- Man on Fire: Heather ends up in flames.
- Neck Snap: Done by Vilmer.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Whatever is controlling the family.
- Police Are Useless: Especially the cops in the Bud's Pizza scene.
- Revenge of the Sequel: The film is also known as The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Leatherface puts on some female clothes (and skin) for the usual "messed up dinner scene".