Fanfic: The Wrong Reflection
The Wrong Reflection
is a Star Trek Online
fanfic by StarSword
, and part of the Bait and Switch
-verse. It adapts episode "Cardassian Struggle", mission "The Other Side"
, and features the first-ever appearance of Eleya's family.
When the Terran Empire mounts an escalating series of attacks on the prime universe, Captain Kanril Eleya of the USS Bajor
is assigned to transport the Orb of Possibilities into the Mirror Universe
to switch it with its double and keep the Terrans out. As is typical for Mirror Universe
stories, they run into Eleya's double. What's not
typical is that the mirror version is Cardassian Guard.
This work provides examples of the following tropes:
- Spit Take: Eleya sprays a mouthful of springwine when her father asks when she and Gaarra are getting married.
- Stealth in Space: In exchange for their help, Eleya teaches the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance every trick for defeating cloaking devices in the Federation arsenal.
- The Stoic: T'Var, Eleya's Vulcan former ops officer (made a brief appearance in chapter two of Bait and Switch, reappears after the fleet her USS Olokun was assigned to took 92% casualties* trying to keep the Undine away from Earth during "Surface Tension". In the typical Vulcan manner, she shrugs off the losses and says that they gave as good as they got and that she is "satisfied with our performance." She's equally calm when she makes her Heroic Sacrifice.
- A Storm Is Coming: There's a thunderstorm going in Bajor's capital Ashalla when Eleya turns up to get the Orb of Possibilities. The chapter in question is also titled "Storm Before the Calm".
- Taking the Bullet: T'Var uses her own ship as a shield against a Terran attempt to ram the Bajor.
- Tank-Top Tomboy: Captain Kanril Eleya, a Lad-ette, wears one for a time during shore leave.
- Three Stooges Shout-Out: Lampshaded by Kate McMillan when Eleya calls three of Gul Morag's guards "Larry, Curly, and Moe." Kate wonders where in the hell her captain heard of The Three Stooges.
Academy roommate was a fan. Her payback for me dragging her off to a Serenity
- The Triple: When Dalin Bastra advises Gul Morag that they could just take Eleya's data on Klingon-derived cloaking devices by force, Eleya pulls one of these.
"First of all, in your current state the Bajor outguns both of your remaining ships put together. Second, our cyberwarfare tech is way better than yours so you’ll have to physically board us. My XO has orders to erase the files if they pick up any unauthorized transporter signatures, and you’ll never get a shuttle docked in one piece. Third, quit testing my patience, you moron."
- Trust Password: Played for laughs. Tess randomly demands of Eleya at gunpoint why Tess joined Starfleet, to make sure Dal Kanril hasn't tried to replace her. After going "WTF?" Eleya answers, and then asks Tess if she really thought Eleya wasn't herself.
Tess: Terrans managed it with Kirk. Eleya:
Kirk didn’t have a ten-year-old scar on his belly, Tess. Next time you’re not sure, just ask me to pull up my shirt.
- Unishment: Due to a Noodle Incident where Eleya "cussed out three ambassadors, a rear admiral, and the Proconsul of the Romulan Republic", Eleya gets a massive black mark on her service record and is told by Admiral Riker that she'll probably never make admiral now.
Respectfully, sir, can you see me stuck behind a desk directing fleets or running a research office? Riker:
Mm, no, I can’t. Eleya: Then I think I’ll survive. Sir.
- Then the author's note went ahead and quoted Kirk's advice to Picard in Star Trek: Generations, just to drive it home.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Eleya avoided being cashiered for gross insubordination mostly by way of being a Bunny-Ears Lawyer ("I kinda helped save Earth Spacedock after."), but she still ends up with a massive black mark on her service record.
- You Are in Command Now: Brokosh ended up as a general and the head of the House of Chel'toK because Chel'toK was killed when the Klingon High Council was incinerated by an Iconian, and the heir Kidu was killed fighting the Undine over Qo'noS.
- Your Vampires Suck: Applied Phlebotinum variant after Eleya and Gaarra watch The Fifth Element together in chapter one.
That was … pretty good. Science was way off, of course. Eleya: (bursts out laughing)
Well, what do you expect? They didn’t know how this shiel
worked back then!