Due to the prevalence of the Interspecies Romance
and other varieties of interspecies hybrid
children are fairly common in fiction. These characters may in turn conceive or sire children with pure-blood members of either parent's species, producing a second generation with a majority of one species and a minority of the other.
Such individuals are likely to demonstrate various traits from their minority ancestor, though such traits are likely to be more subtle the farther back said ancestor is.
Compare Half-Human Hybrid
and Non-Human Humanoid Hybrid
for simple half-and-half combinations. Once three or more species get involved, you're dealing with a Heinz Hybrid
. May overlap with Semi-Divine
. For human/nonhuman examples, compare But Not Too Foreign
, where a foreigner has their nation of residence's ethnicity somewhere in their ancestry.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ranma ½: Herb, Lime and Mint of the Musk Empire are the distant descendants of animals cursed into humanoid women shapes and mated with human males. As a result, they've inherited animalistic traits.
- In One Piece, minor character Chimney is a quarter mermaid through her grandmother, Kokoro. Because of it, she's a good swimmer.
- In Dragon Ball, Pan is a quarter Saiyan through her grandfather Goku and three quarter human.
- The Lord of the Rings:
- Aragorn has some elven ancestry a few thousand years prior to the events in the story due to him being the last heir of Gondor. This wasn't really mentioned in the films, however.
- Both Aragorn and Luthien are also part-Maiar, the angelic order of creation, through a shared ancestor who was the mother of Luthien. Although Aragorn after many generations is mainly human, and Arwen is only a quarter or one-eighth human through her own parentage.
- Late in the Labyrinths of Echo series, Max learns that most of his colleagues have non-humans down their bloodlines: Juffin, like most Kettarians, has some werefox blood in him; Shurf is descended from the elves; Melifaro has both dwarven and giant ancestors; Melamori has a lot of elven and faff blood. In fact, the only pure-blooded humans in Secret Investigations are Kofa and Max himself (insofar one disregards his birth in an entirely different world).
- Fleur Delacour and her sister from the Harry Potter series are quarter-Veelas through their grandmother.
- The Tates from the Garrett, P.I. novels have a bit of elf blood on both sides of the family, although it's not obvious from their looks.
- The Ohmsford family in the Shannara books. The story starts with the half-elf, Shea, then continues with his descendants, whose elven blood becomes increasingly diluted through intermarriage with humans.
- In the novels Goblin Moon and The Gnome's Engine, Lord Skelbrooke is strongly implied to have a bit of fey blood. The Duchess is secretly an inversion, with a substantial degree of fey blood from both sides of her family.
- Log Horizon: There is lore about the MMO Elder Tale saying that since the Alvs had a very low population, and since they historically intermarried with humans they've basically become extinct. However Alv genes live on in Humans in the present day. Their genes are plentiful enough that occasionally a Half Alv will be born to a human family due to the Alv genes being recessive.
- Star Trek Novel Verse:
- In the Star Trek: Titan novels Will Riker and Deanna Troi try several times to have children. Deanna miscarries twice, then manages to carry a quarter-Betazoid daughter to term. The Star Trek Online novel The Needs of the Many states in turn that Natasha Riker-Troi married Rene Picard (son of Jean-Luc Picard and Beverly Crusher) and had three children with him.
- Commander Phillipa Matthias, a minor character appearing in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Relaunch series, is mostly human with a Vulcan grandfather. She in turn is married to a Bajoran and has two children with him. (Matthias also appears in Star Trek Online as ship's counselor of the Enterprise-F.)
- In the Sabina Kane series humans with red hair have a trace of vampire ancestry. (All vampires have red hair.)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation:
- In "The Drumhead", Simon Tarses, an enlisted man in the Enterprise's medical department, is hounded by an admiral on a Witch Hunt on suspicion of being a spy because he has a Romulan grandfather. Tarses had claimed on his entrance application that his grandfather was Vulcan.
- Worf's son Alexander Rozhenko is one quarter human, from his half-human mother's side.
- In Star Trek: Voyager's final season, B'Elanna Torres, a human/Klingon hybrid, gets pregnant by her human husband Tom Paris. Their daughter Miral is born in the series finale.
- In the Stargate SG-1 episode "Space Race" the humans of the planet Hebridan were freed from the Goa'uld by the reptiloid Serrakin many years ago. The two species interbred, resulting in many individuals with varying degrees of human and Serrakin features.
Mythology and Religion
- Dungeons & Dragons
- In 2nd edition AD&D, products of elf/human interbreeding with claim to 50% or more elven blood always had the characteristics of half-elves, while those with less than 50% elvish ancestry were functionally human.
- The various types of Planetouched are individuals that are mostly a mundane species (human, elf, orc, etc.) but have some blood from an ancestor at least one generation removed who was of extraplanar origin.
- Tieflings are mostly human, but have a fiend somewhere in their ancestry. Aasimar are the celestial equivalent of Tieflings. Genasi have an elemental grandparent instead.
- Fey'ri are majority-elf, minority-demon crosses.
- Tanarukks are Orcs with fiendish blood.
- In some versions of fluff, sorcerers get their inherent magical powers from a distant ancestor (usually draconic).
- The 3.5E supplement Planar Handbook introduced heritage feats that allowed characters to have a tinge of extraplanar blood, granting various bonuses.
- Atrus of the Myst games is one-quarter D'ni, making his daughter Yeesha, a local Messianic Archetype, one-eighth.
- Star Trek Online: Admiral D'Vak, a Klingon NPC who commands the USS Houston as part of Star Fleet Battle Group Omega, is the son of Alexander Rozhenko by a Klingon woman according to The Path to 2409. This makes him 1/8 human. Miral Paris from Star Trek: Voyager and Phillipa Matthias from the novelverse also make appearances.
- Devil May Cry 4 has Nero, who is implied to be a quarter-demon (with all the perks that come with it like Super Strength). Though his exact parentage is never really made clear, the story does point out that he has Sparda's blood within him.
- In Dragon Ball Online, all human characters were confirmed to be direct descendants of Goku or Vegeta.
- Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark has Valen Shadowbreath, a tiefling with very strong demonic blood.
- Neverwinter Nights 2:
- Tieflings (human/fiend) and aasimar (human/celestial) are playable races in the original campaign. Mask of the Betrayer adds four kinds of genasi (human/elemental).
- Original campaign:
- Neeshka, the party's rogue, is a tiefling stated to be 1/4 devil. Mephasm, a pit fiend in the game's recurring cast, makes various suggestions that he's her grandfather.
- Recurring NPC Light of Heavens and her twin Joy are a pair of aasimar (humans with celestial blood) serving Lathander. Light of Heavens is a Divine Champion, while Joy is a dancer.
- Storm of Zehir:
- The background feats "Fey Heritage" and "Fiendish Heritage" allow respectively non-lawful and non-good player characters to have a tinge of fey or fiendish blood. Turns into Heinz Hybrid with half-elves, half-orcs, and planetouched, or if you use them both on a human.*
- Belueth the Calm is a Neutral Evil aasimar rogue who is Only in It for the Money.
- One sidequest has the party investigating the theft of the Hammer of Ironfist by a group of genasi bards. Another has a genasi from Sigil who is gathering items for a museum there.
- Ceodore Harvey in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is the son of Cecil, a Half-Human Hybrid with a human mother and Lunarian father, and Rosa who is an ordinary woman.
- Throughout the Assassin's Creed series, some Assassin members who can use Eagle Vision are the descendants of Those Who Came Before.
- StarCraft II: The Protoss-Zerg Hybrids come in two varieties: The close-combat Reaver has more zerglike features like external mandibles and huge claws, the Destroyer looks much more like a protoss, with psionic tendrils and psychic abilities.
- Bretons in The Elder Scrolls are descended from an (informal — there wasn't any policy behind, so far as can be told centuries later, just people being people even if they're elves, and then putting their bastard children in positions of middling power) Aldmeri/Altmer breeding program mixing man with mer (elf). By the times of the games, Bretons are largely indistinguishable from the other human species (particularly Nords and Imperials); the only "visible" sign of their elven ancestry is their natural magical aptitude. It's noted that some elite noble Breton families still have slightly pointed ears.
- Half-elves are prominent in Tales of Phantasia, its prequel, Tales of Symphonia, and related spin-offs. This naturally leads to further interbreeding with their parent races, usually humans. Characters confirmed to have diluted elven blood include Sheena Fujibyashi, who's elven blood allows her to use Summon Magic; Seles Wilder, the daughter of a half-elf and a pure-blooded human; Marta Laudi, who's distant elven ancestry allows her to use magic; Trinicus D. Morrison, the descendent of a famous half-elf; and Lenios, the magic-wielding mayor of Belledam.
- Ayn's children in Phantasy Star III are destined to be this, as he is half-Layan, and he must marry either a pureblood Layan (Thea) or a pureblood Orakian (Sari); Sean is three-quarters Layan, and Crys is one-quarter. This basically results in Sean having a much more diverse range of techniques at his disposal than Crys.
- In Gunnerkrigg Court, Antimony discovers she's descended from a fire elemental. Aside from giving her access to some magic, she also apparently inherited her mother's "flame" meaning that after Annie was born, she suffered a sort of delayed Death by Childbirth as her vitality was transferred to her.
- In the D&D comic The Order of the Stick the Draketooths were descended from a black dragon and a human. Which meant that Vaarsuvius's familicide spell that killed off roughly a quarter of the black dragon species got them too.
- xkcd has scientists creating a hybrid between a spoon and a spork, and proposing that they could create fork/spoon hybrids in other nontraditional combinations.
- Human mages in Inverloch are descendents of half-elves. Since the races haven't mixed for generations, mages have lost their pointy ears, and gained a lot of redheads as their ancestors kept the blood in the family.
- Chakona Space: When Chakats interbreed with compatible species such as wolftaurs or foxtaurs the cubs are usually Chakats with some of their other parent's coloration. Though with newer species like Skunktaurs and Stellar Foxtaurs it depends on which was the mother, and since those species are either Hermaphrodites or Sex Shifters that could be either one of them.
- Humans and Neanderthals have been known to interbreed. Today, pretty much every human outside of ancestral Africa has a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA.
- Though male mules are always sterile, despite what Encyclopedia Brown thinks female mules are sometimes fertile. There have been approximately 60 documented cases where female mules have been bred to male horses or donkeys and produced viable foals.
- Bengals are a cat breed produced by breeding a domestic cat with an Asian leopard cat, a type of wild cat. These hybrids are sometimes bred with other, pure domestic cats to produce a more manageable pet. Similarly, the Savannah is a cat breed produced by crossbreeding a serval with a domestic cat. As with the Bengal, the offspring are sometimes bred with full domestic cats.
- The same also sometimes happens with wolves and domestic dogs; people want a dog that looks like a wolf but behaves like a dog. A half wolf, half dog is usually too much for most people, but breeding it with another dog is done to produce dogs that behave more like dogs. Meanwhile in Australia, dingos and domestic dogs frequently interbreed, and there aren't many purebred dingos left.
- A liliger is what you get when you cross a female liger with a male lion.
- Many North American buffalo herds have a small percentage of domestic cattle DNA. In fact, only about four buffalo herds are pure buffalo.
- A wholphin is a cross between a female bottlenose dolphin and a male false killer whale. The first captive wholphin to survive to breeding age, a female, produced two offspring with a bottlenose dolphin.