Video Game: Dragon Ball Online
Dragon Ball Online was an MMO by Korean developer, NetMarble
. The Story was mostly written by Director, Takamiya, and the project was approved by Toriyama.
The story is set in the age 1000, 216 years after Goku went to train with Uub at the end of Dragon Ball Z
. Over this time many unforeseen changes have occurred in the universe. The Earth is now home to three new races: the Majin, the Namekians, and the Yardratians. The Majin are known to be the children of Majin Buu while the Namekians were forced to, once again, flee from their home planet due to unknown circumstances and take refuge on the Earth. Parts of the Earth have been terraformed to resemble that of Namek to make the Namekians feel more at home.
Two conflicts fuel the story. The first is with an organization known as the Red Pants army, which seems to be a recreation of the Red Ribbon Army, and the second is a mysterious force known only as the Timebreakers. The Timebreakers motives are attempting to go back through the history of the Earth and alter all of the major events involving Goku, with the goal of either brainwashing him or stealing his DNA.
The Timebreaker's meddling with time has caused a number of time leaks to open up all over the planet Earth. The character you play as is from an unknown Age that was unwillingly pulled into one of these time leaks and ends up in the Age 761 at the Kame House where you witness an encounter between Trunks and the Timebreakers. Trunks then takes you to the Age 1000 where you and he together try to preserve the Earth's history either by way of going through the time leaks or with the use of his Time Machine.
As the makers of the game, NetMarble
, only had the rights to the manga version, as well as the Toei character of Bardock, Dragon Ball Online completely ignores the events of Dragon Ball GT
The game was eventually shut down; the Korean servers went offline on September 26, 2013, with the Taiwanese and Hong Kong versions joining it on October 31.
After the shutdown, a group of dedicated fans began making a reproduction of the missing data and setting up custom servers, essentially creating an updated Fan Remake
to be titled Dragon Ball Online: Revelations
. Its progress can be viewed here
. The storyline established in the game will be revisited in the 2015 video game Dragon Ball XENOVERSE
Dragon Ball Online provides examples of:
- Acrofatic: Male Majins, similar to Buu himself.
- Allegedly Free Game: Many features like the Assist Character Pets and vanity outfits cost real money to buy.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: One of the best examples was the "Super Saiyan potion" which instantly transformed your character into a super saiyan that was vastly superior to the regular Super Saiyan form available to players. It was only available, if real money was spent to buy it in the cash shop.
- Defied in Revelations. The developers have confirmed that even though gifts may be rewarded for donations, no gameplay advantages will ever be sold.
- Assist Character: The pets, usable by any character, and the dragons, usable by the Poko Priest class.
- Alternate Timeline
- All There in the Manual: Much of the games plot such as the existence of Towa's baby was revealed in Dragon Ball Online Chronicles which was only released in South Korea.
- Anti-Grinding: As you get stronger, the enemies give less and less experience. No, not talking about the amount of experience to the next level getting higher, even though it does as well; the enemies themselves will eventually get to the point where only 1 point is gained from defeating them.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: The quests will typically give you equipment, which consists of you guessed it.
- Attack Drone: The Hearthstone weapons that are equipped by Poko Priests.
- Bad Future
- Bad Present
- Bare-Fisted Monk: All physical-type classes until the secondary classes are unlocked.
- Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism: Male majins are primordial blobs. Female majins are primordial blobs shaped like attractive humanoids. Justified because Buu created the first, Booby, based on a character from a pornographic novel in-universe.
- Black Mage: Spiritual-type classes in general, Wonder Majins in particular.
- Can't Catch Up: Full blooded humans are still this, per the directors words.
- Cast from Hit Points: Two of most powerful attacks in the game, appropriately belonging to the Crane Hermit master classnote , are cast from LP instead of EP. The Martial Artist class has access to a similarly-powerful attack that likewise costs LP.
- Casual Time Travel
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": According to the Head Director, all humans in the game are saiyan hybrids directly descended from Goku and Vegeta.
- City Guards
- Combat Medic: The Dragon Clan Namekians.
- Cut Short: The servers were taken down before many of the plot elements were able to be revealed.
- Dummied Out: There's evidence of a Saiyan/Human Hybrid Mechanic class in-game, along with Mech Maniac and Gun Maniac sub-classes, but as the data was far from the complete, and Netmarble ceased work on the game, its unlikely they'll come to fruition even in the Fan Remake.
- Demoted to Extra: Several important characters like Yamcha, Chiaotzu, and Uub don't get one mention. Though their techniques are in the game, and the first two have Dogis available.
- Also Full Blooded Humans, and Full Blooded saiyans who would not be playable at any point. Though some fullblooded saiyans like Bardock played a large role in the plot.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: New Namek and Yardrat were destroyed by Miira before the events of the game, which is why the inhabitants are now on Earth. Planet Burst is also a usable attack by the Pure Majin sub-class, although it doesn't actually destroy the world anymore.
- Escort Mission: Occasionally, your character will have to deliver another somewhere on their back. Unlike most examples, they do not get in the way at all.
- Explosive Breeder: The head director clarifies that humans in the future are actually saiyan hybrids due to directly descending from Goku and Vegeta. As only roughly 200 years have passed, they must've been really getting around...
- Also Majin Buu, but thats not surprising considering he's magical.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Look at the billboards on the way to the city. Even after two hundred years, they're still making movies about Mr. Satan. Two at once.
- Written by the Winners: As revealed in Chronicles the majority of humans in the future have forgotten the Z-Fighters existence in favor of Mr. Satan.
- Fighting Clown: Majins, especially the Karma Majin class.
- Foreseeing My Death: According to the timeline, in Age 801 (17 years after the end of Z), Goku realized that he was dying of old age and left Earth with Vegeta for one final battle.
- Fountain of Youth: The Kid Clock item allows a character to revert back to child form. This is the only way to get a Super Mode on a kid character.
- Free-Range Children: Your character starts out as a kid without so much as a send-off.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: You, the "hero" of the game, as well as the chief villains.
- The Future
- Generation Xerox: Several examples.
- The Paella gang members are identical to their ancestors, the Pilaf gang, right down to the whole wanting to take over the world and teaming up with a Big Bad who's way out of their league thing.
- All Majins look similar to Buu, but that's a completely different problem. Played straight, however, with the Pure Majin Super Form, where you'll turn into an exact copy of Kid Buu whether you're male or not.
- Similar with the saiyan hybrid characters who typically look like Goku.
- Heroic Lineage: All "Human" players are descended from Goku or Vegeta. Same with Maijin players and Fat Buu.
- Heroic RROD: The Kaio-Ken rapidly drained HP. And had an advancing multiplier. The technique is truly dangerous when paired up with a competent White Mage, but An All Or Nothing Attack at all other times.
- In the Past, Everyone Will Be Famous: Understandably, considering that you bump into characters from the series.
- Kamehame Hadouken: Several variations of the Trope Namer exist for human characters, and one exists for majin characters.
- Ki Attack: Duh. It's Dragon Ball.
- Kid from the Future: Time Patrol Trunks and the player character.
- Live Item: How the game treats Escort Missions.
- Lost Forever: As most of the data was on the server itself, it was thought to have been this until Revelations was announced.
- Magic Knight: The Swordsman class.
- "Mister Sandman" Sequence
- Muggles: The majority of humans are still this in the future as revealed in Chronicles.
- Only Six Faces: There are relatively few options for customization. Given the source material's style, however, that's really all you need.
- Overnight Age-Up: You have the option of completing a quest at Level 30 to become an adult.
- Pet Interface: You had the option of purchasing a pet that will float alongside and level up with the player character. The pets were later removed with a patch, but will be brought back in Revelations.
- The Power of Friendship: Krillin revived the Turtle School with this basis, in order to compensate for the general lack of strength humans have alone compared to aliens. However, as all the player humans are saiyan hybrids descended from aliens, and the Turtle Hermit class was very underpowered, the message is kinda broken.
- Puny Earthlings: Double Subverted. Humans are a main playable race and fend for themselves with superiror martial arts techniques. Then the Head Director clarified that the Humans were actually Saiyan Hybrids descended from Goku and Vegeta, while actual humans are still irrelevant when it comes to saving the world.
- Player Versus Player: From time to time, players can compete against each other in the World Martial Arts Tournament.
- Quest Giver: Potentially all NPCs.
- Rat Stomp: Many of the quests are clearing x number of a specific kind of enemy.
- Resurrection Sickness: Appears as a status ailment by name whenever your character respawns.
- Rubber-Band History
- Skill Point Reset: The class masters in most settlements will allow you to reset your skills for a fee.
- Super Mode: It's based on Dragon Ball, so this is kind of a given. In addition to every race being able to use the Kaio-Ken technique, each race has its own unique Super Form that can be unlocked via a wish from the Dragon Balls.
- Summon Magic: The Poko Priest class can lay eggs that hatch dragons to fight for you.
- Team Pet: Available for purchase at some point through the game.
- Timeline-Altering MacGuffin: The Big Bads recruit past villains and give them upgrades.
- Time Machine: Trunk's upgraded Time Machine.
- Time Master: Miira and Towa are masters of time.
- Time Police: Time Patrol Trunks and you the player.
- Time Travel: Of course.
- The Minion Master: The Poko Priest class.
- Truly Single Parent: The afformentioned Poko Priests in game.
- And before the game's events, we have Buu, who made himself a wife from part of his own body. One love beam later, and the entire Majin race was spawned.
- Updated Re-release: Revelations, while mostly being the same as the original, does contain some gameplay tweaks such as flying no longer costing AP, along with hints of adding Dummied Out content. The developers have even discussed the possibility of adding completely new content once the main game is active again.
- Uneven Hybrid: All human characters are actually part-Saiyan, being descendants of either Goku or Vegeta.
- Waddling Head: Potato Saibamen enemies.
- Wayback Trip
- We Can Rebuild Him: Commander Red was reconstructed as Android 9 before forming the Red Pants Army.
- Wolverine Publicity: Bardock got a lot of exposure.
- White Mage: The Dende Priest class.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong