open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Dennou Coil had a whole episode about this. The beards were made out of "illegals", dark creatures that could only be seen by characters wearing the series' computer glasses. The beards worshiped the people whose faces they were on as gods.
- In One Piece, Django's goatee is actually the stalk of a mushroom that grew on his chin. Eating the cap of the mushroom is what gave Django his hypnosis powers.
- One of the mutated teens in Charles Burns graphic novel Black Hole has what appears to be a regular beard (which makes sense since he's been living out in the woods) but on closer and repeated viewing is revealed to be his mutation: a lump of flesh growing on his face in that general shape.
- Empowered has the villain Weirdbeard. (It's made of Prehensile Hair, otherwise seems to be normal - just very long.)
- Deimos, the Olympian god of terror in the Post-Crisis version of Wonder Woman, has a beard made of serpents.
Films — Animated
- The Candlemaker from The Book of Life, has one made out of clouds.
- The Zen Master (an old Japanese three-wheeled truck wearing a coolie hat and traditional Japanese robes and carrying a rake on one of his wheels who runs Tokyo Art Museum's zen gardens) from Cars 2 has a large white fender over his front wheel that looks like a long, flowing beard (appropriate since he's supposed to be a parody of various old men that coach martial artists).
- For some reason, his toy and the accompanying blister package art did not show him with his "beard", making him look much younger than he actually is. The toy also incorrectly referred him to as the "Zen Master Pitty", despite not being a forklift.
Films — Live-Action
- The Goblin King in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has a mass of fatty flesh hanging down from his chin, wobbling as he speaks, like a very unpleasant beard.
- Seneca Crane's beard in The Hunger Games was so bizarre it became a meme that ascended in the sequel.
- Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean has Octopus tentacles around his face to resemble his beard in human form.
- Certain Transformers in the Transformers Film Series have beards made out of mechanical parts. Ratchet has a mustache, Jetfire has a beard made of metal plates, The Fallen somehow has a braided beard made of metal, same with Sentinel Prime. Hound has a beard that appears to be made of wires and circuits.
Live Action TV
- In the video for Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance", there's a guy with a beard made out of golden metal.
- Turaga Vakama in the BIONICLE movies had one on his mask that resembled Pharaoh beards. Other characters that shared his mask-type received noticeably shorter ones, even Macku, who's female. Also, Hahli's Toa Inika form had a mustache+goatee combo composed of breathing tubes. Again, Hahli's a she.
- Boldur from Battleborn is a space dwarf with a beard that is a bunch of tree branches with a few leaves sticking out.
- Vamos the Blacksmith in Dark Souls is a very large skeleton with a beard made of chains.
- The Organon of Deponia have mechanical beards. These beards can contain various tracking sensors.
- Paarthurnax in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, as a proud member of the Greybeard order, has a beard made out of horns on his chin.
- The Dekus in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask also have leafy beards.
- A minor character in Paper Mario 64, Oakley, has a beard made out of leaves.
- Emboar from Pokémon Black and White has a beard made of fire. Also, Probopass has a mustache made of iron filings and Beartic has a beard made of ice. Tropius has a beard made out of bananas.
- Admiral Razorbeard from Rayman 2 has, well, a razorblade for a beard.
- In The Secret of Monkey Island, the Ghost Pirate LeChuck, on whom Davy Jones above is based, has a beard which appears to be made of hair but writhes about of its own accord. In Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, Guybrush keeps it as a memento - and it's still wriggling.
- Much like Davy Jones pictured above, the male Draenei and Eredar of World of Warcraft have tentacle beards (or barbel beards, or something) along with standard facial hair.
- Warcraft III's Anceints (sentient trees that serve as Night Elf buildings) have beards a dwarf would be proud of, evein if they are made of vines and flowers.
- The way Vilgax of Ben 10 is designed makes his tentacles look somewhat like a beard. However, you'll only notice this in the very first episode, because for most of the series he wears a breathing mask, making him look like a typical Chthulu-inspired character.
- Flexo's metal beard in Futurama.
- Also Bender sports rust stubble if he goes too long without drinking.
- Star Wars Rebels: Mon Calamari starship engineer Quarrie from "Wings of the Master" has a "moustache" made of flesh flaps and "stubble" caused by variation in the pigmentation of his skin.
- Several Transformers characters have metal beards, goatees, or mustaches.
- In the 1996 series of Dennis the Menace (UK), one episode had A Pirate 400 Years Too Late looking at portraits of his ancestors, including one actually named Weirdbeard, who had a green beard with something stuck in it.
- Egyptian Pharaohs wore strap on beards made of different materials. Even one, Hatshepsut, who was a woman.
- There is an annual, international artistic contest, the World Beard and Moustache Championships. Just look at those pictures. One man who won Norway's Best Beard Contest scuplted part of his beard into a quite impressive deer. Another has a windmill made out of beard growing from his face.
- Some people are into bee bearding, with several thousand of the live bugs looking like a beard on their faces and necks, although it's not likely to be a long-term thing when you think about it.
- Dewlaps are fleshy dangling structures found on the necks of animals, such as turkeys (wattles), lizards, or zebu. Not technically beards, but it looks like this trope.
- Similarly, bearded dragon lizards have spines on their neck that look like a beard, hence their name.
- The barbels of many fish species can look like mustaches and goatees.
- Turkeys have a long tuft of "hair" that's called a beard, and looks bit like a neck beard.
- Marty Lewis, a police detective turned biker gang member, has a half-black, half-white beard.