Three Successful Generations
Three successful generations is basically a Power Trio
formed by three successive generations that represent the phases of a man or woman's life as he or she gains experience and maturity.
The three generations consist of:
- The Youth: The young man/woman who has the confidence and intelligence to go wherever in life he/she wants to. The older generations know that he/she is the future and want to help him/her make something of himself/herself. He/She is probably a smart student who knows what to be when he/she grows up.
- The Adult: The man/woman who has reached a more stable position in his/her life. He/She knows how to focus on the present and get things done. The other generations look up to him/her even while he/she's still working things out. He/She's like a working man/woman who's as strong as the Self-Made Man.
- The Elder: The older man/woman who has lived a full life. He/She now acts as head of the family, helping the middle generation guide the next one. He/She wants to keep his/her past alive through the youngest generation. He/She is like an active retiree who's as proud as The Patriarch.
There's generally more of a bond between the older and younger generations, but the middle one will always be there to bridge the gap between the grandparent and grandchild characters. Might be able to become a Generational Saga
Related to The Hecate Sisters
but instead of being sexually based this is intellectually based.
This is not Legacy Character
where the younger character inherits the success of the older generation. This is where each of the three individuals work in his own way to personally earn his accomplishments. The youth is most likely to succeed, the adult is working on succeeding, and the elder has achieved success.
Compare The Three Faces of Adam
Anime and Manga
- Main hero of One Piece, Monkey D. Luffy is on a quest to become The Pirate King, his father Monkey D. Dragon turns out to be a leader of revolutionaries trying to bring down the World Government, while Luffy's grandfather Monkey D. Garp is an (ex) Marine Vice Admiral who is called "The Hero", a main force of said government, which makes their relations inherently antagonistic.
- This is the entire plot of Mobile Suit Gundam AGE. As said in the series' tagline: "Three destinies will make history".
- In Tokyo Ghoul :Re, a darker example of this is present with the three generations of the Washuu Family. Chairman Tsuneyoshi Washuu is the ultimate authority within the CCG, having long ago established his status as the legendary "Demon Tsune". His son, Chief Yoshitoki Washuu, is the current head of daily operations for the organization and supervises many operations and projects. Throwing a wrench into things is the youngest generation, Matsuri Washuu. An ambitious man, he seeks to oust his own father and take over the organization. While the family has led the organization since it's conception, each member is expected to distinguish themselves in the field and uphold the honor of their Badass Family.
- Of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker has always dreamed of having the freedom to become a Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi is obedient to the Jedi council and makes a stable father figure to Anakin, and Qui-Gon Jinn is insistent that Anakin become a Jedi Knight and fulfill his destiny.
- Family Business has Jessie, who is proud of his criminal past and lifestyle, his son Vito, who now runs a thriving wholesale Twelfth Avenue meat packing warehouse and has left his criminal past behind him, and his grandson Adam, who is in college with a scientific scholarship and seemingly has a bright future ahead of him.
- Arthur Christmas: Steve is the tech-savvy heir apparent to the North Pole, Grandsanta is the retired patriarch who is constantly reminding others of his accomplishments and harping on "the good old days," while the current Santa clearly had a good run, but is now struggling with the decision of whether to step down in favor of his son. The odd man out is Arthur himself, the
- Rinus de Gier, Henk Grijpstra and the Comissaris in Janwillem van de Wetering's "Amsterdam Cop" novels.
- Miles (the youth), Aral (the adult), and Piotr (the elder) in Vorkosigan Saga.
- 7th Heaven has Mary, who has the confidence and ability to want to play in the Women's National Basketball Association someday, Annie, who is the vastly knowledgeable mother, and Annie's mother in law Ruth, who wants to visit the children more than once a year to influence them.
The Colonel: Well, we're lucky to have Annie and Mary. You know, our Mary has enough salt to make jerky.
Grandma Ruth: That Annie, she's always been a doer. She's not afraid to get her hands dirty.
- The Reagan family of Blue Bloods features three active members of the NYPD: Jamie, a former law student who joined the force after his brother Joe's death, making him a very well-educated rookie; Danny, an experienced and driven detective whose investigations make up the A-plot of most episodes; and their father Frank, police commissioner and voice of integrity and wisdom within the family. The Reagan family also includes Frank's own father Henry, a retired former police commissioner respected by all, and precocious teenage Nicky who's thinking of becoming a cop herself; thus, it's more a case of Five Successful Generations.
- From Gilmore Girls there's Rory Gilmore, who harbours a long-held dream to study at Harvard University and become a journalist, Lorelai Gilmore, whose legacy is her daughter Rory and the goal of owning her own Inn that she's been working toward for twenty years, and Emily Gilmore, who invests in Rory's education and seeks to bring her into their lifestyle.
- The Simpsons has Lisa, Marge, and Mona Simpson; the girl genius with the world as her oyster; the mother who can do practically anything she sets her mind to; and the grandmother (Lisa's gran, Marge's mother-in-law) who is intelligent, well-travelled, and generally led a full life.
- There is an inversion in the unsuccessful males, Bart, Homer, and Abe; the young boy who's more interested in causing trouble; the father who never bothered to learn anything in youth, and can't advance now; and the grandfather who never made anything of his life.
- Or, The retired badass Sergeant Rock; The multilingual, world famous, musician/astronaut; and the pre adolescent natural leader future Chief Justice of the Supreme Court-successful son, and the one who ultimately gets the others to see what is really important.