Three Successful Generations
is basically a Power Trio
formed by three successive generations that represent the phases of a man or woman's life as he or she gains experience and maturity.
The three generations consist of:
- The Youth: The young man who has the confidence and intelligence to go where ever in life he wants to. The older generations know that he is the future and want to help him make something of himself. He is probably a smart student who knows what he wants to be when he grows up.
- The Adult: The man who has reached a more stable position in his life. He knows how to focus on the present and get things done. The other generations look up to him even while he's still working things out. He's like a working man who's as strong as the Self-Made Man.
- The Elder: The older man who has lived a full life. He now acts as head of the family, helping the middle generation guide the next one. He wants to keep his past alive through the youngest generation. He is like an active retiree who's as proud as The Patriarch (or matriarch).
There's generally more of a bond between the older and younger generations, but the middle one will always be there to bridge the gap between the grandparent and grandchild characters. Might be able to become a Generational Saga
Related to The Hecate Sisters
but instead of being sexually based this is intellectually based.
This is not Legacy Character
where the younger character inherits the success of the older generation. This is where each of the three individuals work in his own way to personally earn his accomplishments.
Compare The Three Faces of Adam
- From Gilmore Girls there's Rory Gilmore, who harbours a long-held dream to study at Harvard University and become a journalist, Lorelai Gilmore, whose legacy is her daughter Rory and the goal of owning her own Inn that she's been working toward for twenty years, and Emily Gilmore, who invests in Rory's education and seeks to bring her into their lifestyle.
- 7th Heaven has Mary, who has the confidence and ability to want to play in the Women's National Basketball Association someday, Annie, who is the vastly knowledgeable mother, and Annie's mother in law Ruth, who wants to visit the children more than once a year to influence them.
The Colonel: Well, we're lucky to have Annie and Mary. You know, our Mary has enough salt to make jerky.
Grandma Ruth: That Annie, she's always been a doer. She's not afraid to get her hands dirty.
- Of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker has always dreamed of having the freedom to become a Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi is obedient to the Jedi council and makes a stable father figure to Anakin, and Qui-Gon Jinn is insistent that Anakin become a Jedi Knight and fulfill his destiny.
- Family Business has Jessie, who is proud of his criminal past and lifestyle, his son Vito, who now runs a thriving wholesale Twelfth Avenue meat packing warehouse and has left his criminal past behind him, and his grandson Adam, who is in college with a scientific scholarship and seemingly has a bright future ahead of him.
- The Simpsons has Lisa, Marge, and Mona Simpson; the girl genius with the world as her oyster; the mother who can do practically anything she sets her mind to; and the grandmother (Lisa's gran, Marge's mother-in-law) who is intelligent, well-travelled, and generally led a full life.
- There is an inversion in the unsuccessful males, Bart, Homer, and Abe; the young boy who's more interested in causing trouble; the father who never bothered to learn anything in youth, and can't advance now; and the grandfather who never made anything of his life.
- Main hero of One Piece, Monkey D. Luffy is on a quest to become The Pirate King, his father Monkey D. Dragon turns out to be a leader of revolutionaries trying to bring down the World Government, while grandfather is an (ex) Marine Vice Admiral a main force of said government, which makes their relations inherently antagonistic.
- Rinus de Gier, Henk Grijpstra and the Comissaris in Janwillem van de Wetering's "Amsterdam Cop" novels.
- Miles (the youth), Aral (the adult), and Piotr (the elder) in Vorkosigan Saga.
- This is the entire plot of Mobile Suit Gundam AGE. As said in the series' tagline: "Three destinies will make history".