"Should I explain to you the meaning of a closed door in a whorehouse?"
A couple is about to have sex, or are in the midst of the act, but another person interrupts somehow. They have to stop to deal with the interruption. This trope can be played for comedy, drama or both. Can often lead to a Relationship Reveal
. If they choose to keep going, it's Coitus Uninterruptus
. If they try and keep things secret (if there is a knock on the door), it could lead to a Closet Shuffle
. A subtrope of Moment Killer
Often followed by a "Don't you people know how to knock?", because no one ever locks their door
when they're getting intimate.
Compare to Caught with Your Pants Down
for the solo
version of the trope. A supertrope of Primal Scene
and Parents Walk In at the Worst Time
. Sister Trope
to Sorry to Interrupt
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Lupin III: Given that they're both on Interpol's "Most Wanted" list and have numerous enemies, Lupin and Fujiko have had their romantic evenings ruined more than once:
- The Secret of Twilight Gemini: About midway through the film, Sadachiyo and his men burst into their hotel room to assassinate Lupin, just as he and Fujiko were getting started. Which forced him to bail in his underwear and left Fujiko stark naked, with nothing but a bedsheet to defend herself!
- The Columbus Files begins with them meeting over a candlelit dinner to discuss the contents of the stolen Columbus Egg, in Fujiko's possession. The discussion makes its way into the bedroom, where once again, they get interrupted just as they're about to shag. This time, by way of Macross Missile Massacre!
- Happens near the beginning of Vitamin. The protagonist's boyfriend forces himself onto her while they're in school, and a classmate sees them.
- Yuugen Kaisha: In incident file 03, Detective Karino drops by Mr. Nagasuki's office to question him, just as things were heating up between Nagasuki and his secretary! So when he opens the door, he gets an eyefull, though the audience doesn't get to see anything.
*secretary screams from off camera*
Mr. Nagasuki: (angrily at Karino) "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!"
Karino: (closes door, snickering) "Hot action."
- Invoked in School Days (adapting a possible event from the original visual novel). Sekai's friend Nanami Kanroji and her sempai/boyfriend try to get some "quality time" in the middle of a school festival, so they end up having sex in the rest area booth. They're not interrupted but they are filmed by Otome's Girl Posse, who are such nasty bitches that they show the tape to the whole school. The upperclassmen think this is funny, but poor Nanami has an Heroic BSOD.
- Double invoked, as almost immediately afterwards, we see that Makoto was caught on tape too... having sex with Otome. And this is how Sekai learns that, after she and Makoto cheated on Kotonoha, she is now the one cheated on.
- The first part is expanded on in other media (namely, the game's Updated Re-release), and it's even worse. One: Nanami and her boyfriend weren't filmed by Otome's Girl Posse, but by Nanami's sempai and rival Chie Ashikaga; she releases the video out of spite against her.. Two: we see that they're actually quite kinky in regards to sex (into master/servant, sex roleplaying, etc.) No wonder poor Nanami completely shut down: not only she and her boyfriend were caught doing the deed, but their kinks were exposed to everyone in the school.
- In From the New World, 12-year-olds Saki and Satoru end up engaging in what is basically sexual foreplay as a response to the stress of getting captured, as humans in their time have been conditioned to use sex to relieve tension, modeling after the society of Bonobo chimps. It is Saki herself (much to Satoru's frustration) that puts things to a halt upon remembering this, resolving that "we're not monkeys".
- In Fushigi Yuugi, Suboshi needs to talk to his boss Nakago and goes into his tent. Nakago is having sex with his and Suboshi's fellow Seiryuu Senshi Soi...
- Variable Geo: Reimi and her personal assistant, Washio, finally get some "alone time" halfway through episode 2, where they have a romantic tryst in her private rooftop rose garden. At least, until Chiho ruins it for her, by stumbling across them during her escape attempt. Which annoys Reimi, sparking an improptu match between her and Chiho.
- Played for Laughs in the appropriately titled, This Closet's Lock is Broken, when Soifon accidentally bursts in on Yoruichi while she's having sex... with a mod soul designed to look and act like her!
- In a chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Ginny leads Harry to her bedroom (with the door closed) to give him a birthday present to "remember her by", and they begin to kiss very passionately, but are interrupted by Ron barging into the room. There are many stories that speculate that, had Ron not interrupted, Harry and Ginny would have had sex.
- This trope probably scars Kagami for life in Stars Above when she accidentally walks in on Tsukasa and Miyuki.
- My Immortal. When Draco and Ebony have sex in the Forbidden Forest, Dumbledore barges in out of nowhere, yelling "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU MOTHERFUKERS!"
- Empath in the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Days Of Auld Lang Smurf" interrupts Papa Smurf's private moment inside the Imaginarium with a recreated fantasy version of his wife just as they were about to kiss. Of course, Empath doesn't know that this is what Papa Smurf was doing with his time away from the other Smurfs until he saw Papa Smurf in a bathrobe emerging from a Smurf house.
- The Infinite Loops love to play this for laughs. Taken to an extreme where five separate people walk in on Spike and Rarity, apparently during the same loop, and react completely differently to the situation.
- The Wrong Reflection has Fleet Admiral Riker call up Eleya to give her some info and orders right when she and her boyfriend are in the middle of foreplay.
- In Cemetery Man, Francesco Dellamorte and his mystery woman make it on top of her husband's grave, at her request ("He would have liked to know.") Unfortunately, in this particular cemetery the dead are prone to rise seven days after burial - her husband digs his way out, catches them mid-act and promptly takes a bite out of his wife's arm, whereupon Francesco impales him with a cross.
- The James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever has a scene where Bond (Sean Connery) takes Ms. Fanservice Plenty O'Toole back to his room where he gives the obligatory strip down so they can have sex but when she goes into the bed room to dispense with what little remains of her attire (high heels, flimsy see through pink panties and a fancy necklace) while Bond tosses her low cut purple satin dress on a chair and turns on a light... only to find himself being held at gunpoint by a bunch of mooks. The mooks then proceed to toss the basically naked Plenty out a window while she screams in humorous sexually humiliated protest, only to land in a pool, downgraded from Shameless Fanservice Girl to Reluctant Fanservice Girl.
- In Hot Tub Time Machine Adam, Nick and Jacob walk in on Lou having sex with Adam's sister, meaning Jacob witnesses his own conception... sort of. When he tries to attack Lou, he disappears. Coitus Uninterruptus has to ensue to ensure Jacob lives.
- Running Joke in Going the Distance too — from Dan DJ'ing Erin and Garrett's first hook-up, to her sister walking in on them having sex on her dinner table... and her husband eating a midnight snack to them walking in on her sister and her husband dry-humping.
- In the Japanese movie The Eel, the protagonist finds his wife having intercourse with another man and kills him right then. He spends eight years in prison; his life right after release is the actual story.
- Happens in the British film Sir Henry At Rawlinson End when in a flashback Seth Onetooth finds his wife Rosie carrying on with Henry's brother Humbert in the bushes. This leads to Humbert "accidentally" getting shot by Henry, and explains why his ghost cannot rest until it has found trousers.
- In The Secret of My Success, Brantley (Michael J. Fox) ends up having an affair with his boss's wife who turns out to be his aunt!, Vera. When she comes to his office, looking for seconds (which is one-sided this time), they get busted when his uncle shows up unexpectedly, to talk to him.
- In Schindlers List, Schindler is having sex with his mistress, when he's informed that his accountant, Stern, has been mistakenly put on the train that takes Jews to the death camps. Schindler manages to save him just in time.
- In Make the Yuletide Gay, Gunn and Nathan are in Gunn's room stripping down to have some fun time, when Gunn's mom comes in to make sure the boys have enough sheets for their beds.
- Friends with Benefits has Jamie's mom walking in on Dylan and Jamie in the middle of the act. They are more freaked out than she is.
- In D.E.B.S., Amy and Lucy's relationship is exposed when the other members of D.E.B.S. burst in on them in bed together.
- The end of Die Hard with a Vengeance involves the hero, John McClane, interrupting Simon, the villain, as he's about to get intimate with his wife. The normally stoic woman suddenly gets very angry at McClane.
- Star Trek Into Darkness: Don't think Kirk can top Uhura interrupting his session with an Orion woman in her dorm room? Kirk sees your sexual shenanigans and raises you two Caitians who are annoyed Star Fleet is paging him.
- Near the start of Brian de Palma's Body Double the unemployed actor hero goes home to find his girlfriend's clothes strewn around the apartment and thinks that she's planning something special for him. When he gets to the bedroom he finds out she got started without him and with someone else.
- Friday the 13th (1980): Barry and Claudette have engaged in foreplay and Claudette's shirt is totally unbuttoned when Pamela Voorhees sneaks in on them. She kills Barry onscreen with a knife to the stomach and offscreen, Claudette in the neck.
- Lolita (1997). Humbert is kissing his underage stepdaughter when a police car roars up on them, much to his alarm. Fortunately the cop is more interested in asking if they've seen another vehicle he's pursuing, and fails to realise what's going on.
- In Bound, Violet and Corky are pleasuring each other on the couch when Caesar bursts in.
- In Pretty Cool Too, Walter is about to go outside to have sex with his brother's girlfriend, when his parents come home.
- In Running Scared (1986), Danny does this to Ray and his new girlfriend Maryann twice; once just for laughs, but the other when Danny's ex-wife is kidnapped.
- Captain Armand Pahner walks in on two of his sergeants (Eva and Julian) in the Prince Roger series. Additionally, Julian deliberately arranges for this to happen to Roger and Despreaux on multiple occasions. By monitoring the biometrics in her combat suit (specifically pulse and blood pressure) he can tell when they are arguing and when they... aren't.
- A Song of Ice and Fire:
- A large portion of the drama is sparked by Bran seeing Cersei and Jamie Lannister having sex.
- The trope is Played for Laughs several novels later when Jaime barges into Lord Bracken's tent unannounced, to find him screwing a Camp Follower.
I fear I did not hear your coming, my lord. Jaime:
And I fear I've interrupted yours
- In Chrono Hustle #5, Jack and Sesla are in the middle of sex when TRD agents teleport in to arrest him. Sesla is annoyed that they couldn't have waited a few more minutes.
- This happens to Felix in The Two Crowns of Ras Karim, one of Gotrek & Felix short stories. As usual, Gotrek is to blame.
Live Action TV
- Happens in the Warrant song "Cherry Pie":
Swingin' so hard
We forgot to lock the door!
In walks her daddy
Standin' six foot four!
He said "you ain't gonna swing
With my daughter no more"!
- Tone Loc's Wild Thing has the same thing happen (in this case the girl's mother interrupts them), but with more benign results:
I didn't know what to say; I was hanging by a string
She said "Hey, you two, I was once like you and I like(d?) to do the Wild Thing."
- In the BBC production of Henry IV Part 1, Hal and Doll deliberately create one of these moments. They pretend to be getting hot and heavy so that when the sheriff walks in on them, Hal has a reasonable excuse for wanting to get rid of him as quickly as possible. They don't want him to search the house and arrest Falstaff.
- Subverted in School Days. Kotonoha comes to Makoto's house while Makoto and Sekai are having sex and walks in on them. At first it seems like she caught them in the act, but then it's revealed that Makoto invited her there for a threesome.
- As said above, a similar scene on a different route plays the trope straight, and leads directly to a bad ending.
- Played for Laughs in Katawa Shoujo. In Emi's route, at one point Rin walks in on her and Hisao right after the end of their first sex scene, requesting to use Emi's window to look at a specific cloud. She doesn't appear to notice that Hisao and Emi are both half-dressed (Hisao is topless, and Emi is down to her panties), and leaves when Emi politely asks her for some alone time.
- In Ménage à 3, this is a Running Gag. Nearly every time Matt has sex, no matter with whom, someone walks in and interrupts him.
- In Misfile Ash and Emily end up walking in on Kate and Harry having sex. Oddly enough Kate is only mildly embarrassed and glad that it was at least someone she knew. Ash on the other hand looks like she could use a jug of brain bleach.
- The page picture is from Gunnerkrigg Court, where Kat and Annie walk in on Kat's parents just at the right time to avoid a Primal Scene. They resume intimacy when the kids leave.
- Sandra and Woo sees foxes Shadow and Echo interrupted by a wildlife photographer.
- Vampire Cheerleaders: After Stephanie mysteriously goes missing in vol.4, her sister, Katie, and her friends end up travelling across space and time to find her. When they finally do, they find her in bed with a mothman, while surrounded by others waiting their turn. While Steph was mildly amused by the interruption, Katie was not....
- On Archer Lana dumps Cyril after walking in on him having sex with Framboise from ODIN.