Better Than Chocolate is a 1999 Canadian romantic comedy/ slice of life movie. It centers around Maggie, a 19-year old college dropout and lesbian who's just found her true love, an artist named Kim. And then her mother calls and says that she's getting divorced from her husband and that she and Maggie's brother Paul are going to come stay with Maggie. And Maggie's not out to her mother. Combined with that, the adult bookstore where Maggie works is being hassled by the authorities, who have confiscated a shipment of "obscene" books at the border, and proprietor Frances and trans woman Judy are both attracted to each other but too timid to do anything about it. It all comes to a head in a protest put on by Maggie which takes some rather unexpected turns.
Better Than Chocolate includes examples of:
- Adorkable: Judy.
- Anything That Moves: Carla, so very very much.
- Cast Full of Gay
- Drag Queen: resoundingly deconstructed: Judy's Crowning Moment of Awesome is her song about how she isn't one.
- Deadpan Snarker: Frances, when she isn't flustered by Judy, is incredibly snarky.
- Fan Disservice: Everywhere. The crowner? Lila using a candy-dispensing vibrator. JESUS.
- Some clarification: The vibrator Lila uses is not candy-dispensing. While she does have a piece of chocolate on the bedside table, what you're probably referring to are the beads often found in a rabbit-style vibrating dildo. They're not candy. The more you know!
- Fanservice: The sex scenes between Maggie and Kim. All of them.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Tony, the cafe owner next to 10% Books, although mildly homophobic (he doesn't like Kim and Maggie making out in his cafe, and he threatens to call his lawyer when Maggie does her performance piece), is a generally nice guy.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Maggie definitely. Frances is more of a chapstick lesbian, and Judy is a lipstick lesbian who is also a trans woman.
- Maggie's probably a lot closer to a chapstick lesbian (going off her clothing). Frances is butch in the way Rachel Maddow is butch.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Possibly the reason why Lila is unaware her daughter is gay.
- Only Sane Man / Team Mom: Judy, who seems to be in charge of keeping the cast's collective sanity in tact. Some would go as far as to say she does the same for the audience.
- Stargate City
- Transparent Closet: Maggie is pretty obviously gay, and yet her mother is completely oblivious.