"Shower sex is always an explosive orgasm machine in movies. In real life, shower sex invariably results in both parties emerging insufficiently washed and sexually unsatisfied."Two people have sex under a running shower. Since shower windows have a tendency to get steamed up, this allows for literal Censor Steam. Sex against the wall is a possibility, but there is the likelihood of injury from slip and fall (which hardly happens in fiction, unless one was to write a romantic comedy that puts a realistic -- and painful -- spin on this trope). Often an example of Idealized Sex. See also Shower of Angst (when a character showers to wash away shame, misery, and/or embarrassment), Shower of Awkward (when Hilarity Ensues — or Unresolved Sexual Tension rises — when one character walks in on another showering and freaks out over it), and Shower Scene (Exactly What It Says on the Tin).
open/close all folders
- This is the point of every advert ever created for Herbal Essences shampoo. Most shampoo commercials knowingly hint at it, but these ones take it Up to Eleven with lashings of Double Entendre and scenes of women in the throes of very Immodest "Organic" experiences.
- An ad for Head and Shoulders shampoo features an attractive young couple sharing a shower taking turns washing each others hair. The viewers is left with the impression that keeping your hair clean and dandruff will improve your sex life (which it probably will, actually).
- When you apply Axe's Sex for Product marketing scheme to their line of body wash, you get this.
Anime & Manga
- XXXenophile story "The Spirit is Willing" (sex with the ghost of a woman that died in a shower).
- In the Jay and Silent Bob comic book mini-series, Jay tries to have sex with Tricia in the shower but she kicks him out.
- This was actually implied in a Spider-Man comic. A caption that divided a scene with Peter and Mary Jane and a scene with Peter at ESU read "One breakfast or corn fritters and a shared shower later..." (This happened during Todd McFarlene's run as the artist, where the title tended to portray the couple as a little risque.)
- Topper was a comic about a horny ghost that ran in the Australian edition of Penthouse. In one strip, he spied on two women in the shower of the change room at a tennis club, and gradually manipulated them into having sex.
- Alluded to at the end of the Berserk fanfic "Home Fires" where Guts and Casca reaffirm their love under a waterfall.
- A running gag for Beast Boy and Raven in At Odds - they share rather limited living space with a child BB rescued, so bed is usually out of question.
- RWBY: Reckoning has a small bonus scene where Darrel and Yang shower together after Darrel's session in the gym. It's not canon, though: the author refuses to dabble in underage sex.
- Asuka tried to do this with Shinji in chapter 14 of Evangelion 303 but it ended up getting subverted since they both felt too awkward due to the past few months of Asuka's Survivor's Guilt driven anger. It's especially depressing since they had gotten engaged less than a day ago and things still haven't gone back to how they used to be between them (that doesn't happen until after they get out of the shower).
- Subverted in chapter 7 of Advice and Trust. Shinji and Asuka were about to have sex in the shower when their guardian Kaji walked in on them.
- A Crown of Stars: Shortly after getting together, Shinji and Asuka took a shower together. They intended to wash each other backs' as a way of testing the boundaries of their new relationship, but one thing led to another, and they ended humping each other right away.
- HERZ: Subverted in chapter 4. Shinji thought that Asuka was waiting for him in the shower stalls of the men’s locker room, so he made his way to one of them, expecting to have sex in the shower with his wife. When he saw it was Kurumi, he screamed in terror and ran off.
- Thousand Shinji: In a scene, Asuka mentions that Shinji and she had sex in the shower several times.
- A Law & Order: UK fanfic has Matt Devlin and Alesha Philips consummating their relationship with one of these.
- James Bond:
- A View to a Kill. With Bond and Stacy at the end.
- Subverted in Casino Royale (2006). The fight between Bond and Obanno left Vesper shocked. Bond finds her still clothed and curled up in their room's shower, with the water turned on. Bond sits next to her, kisses the "blood" off her hands and comforts her.
- Skyfall. Between Bond and Séverine, while on a boat on the way to Silva's lair.
- An American Werewolf in London's shower scene is one of the best examples of this trope.
- In Apollo 13, this is where Jack Swigert is when he gets the call telling him he's become part of the flight's main crew.
- Subverted in the movie White Sands (1992). Lane Bodine (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) offers herself to (married) protagonist Sheriff Ray Dolezal (Willem Dafoe) while he's in the shower. The next scene has an FBI agent listening with amusement to the sounds of passionate sex over his hidden microphones... until Dolezal kicks down his door, whereupon we see Bodine faking the sounds as a distraction.
- Averted in Life as a House. At one point, Jena Malone steps into the shower with Hayden Christenson (apparently with no intention of sex). He makes a pass at her, and they eventually start kissing. He then prematurely ejaculates, and she amusedly tells him that he'll be cleaning the shower.
- Creator shower sex between Virginia Madsen and Vincent Spanno.
- St. Elmo's Fire has Andrew McCarthy and Ally Sheedy breaking the shower screen.
- Color of Night featured one of these.
- The Specialist features such a scene between Sharon Stone and Sylvester Stallone.
- Might be worth noting that it's a giant open shower; for all intents and purposes, they do it on the bathroom floor.
- A Kiss Before Dying has one with Sean Young and Matt Dillon.
- Common in pornographic movies.
- Subverted in the 70s horror comedy Arnold, where a corpse's gold-digging wife (don't ask) hops into a shower with her lover... only to have the walls close in, crushing them to death.
- Happened in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter where the "innocent girl" lost her virginity right before she and her lover encountered Jason.
- Parodied (with bare boobies) in the "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble" segment of The Kentucky Fried Movie. With each thrust, the woman's (Uschi Digard) breasts are briefly pressed against the shower stall glass.
- Heartbreakingly rendered in Snow Falling on Cedars, when the young new widow, in the middle of a courtroom scene to determine the guilt of her husband's accused killer, flashes back to one of the last times she saw her husband alive: having Good People Have Good Sex in the shower with him.
- Ana and her briefly-seen husband do this in the Dawn of the Dead (2004) remake. Below the neck you just see outlines.
- In Daywatch, the protagonist chooses this way to reveal his feelings to his Love Interest (no sex, though, just heavy snogging). Bonus points for him residing in a woman's body in that moment. Hell, yeah!
- And then they end up in a tropical lagoon. Because that's what happens when you surprise an archmage in the shower.
- Right after the infamous line in Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, the main character invites a woman over for one of these.
- In Unknown (2011), Martin has several flashbacks of him and Liz having sex in a shower.
- In A Walk on the Moon, Dianne Lane and Viggo Mortensen's characters get it on under a Waterfall Shower.
- In Pitch Perfect, when Beca goes to take a shower in the girl's locker room, two pairs of feet, belonging to a man and a woman, can be seen in a shower stall.
- In Iron Man 3, Pepper Potts lures Tony Stark out of his workshop by announcing, "I'm going to take a shower. (Beat) You're gonna join me."
- In the Molly Ringwald comedy For Keeps, her character showers with the boyfriend she married when they both move into an apartment together.
- In the remake of The Getaway, the [McCoys] make their reconciliation official—she slept with an influential mobster in order to get him out of jail by having one of these that eventually moves to its proper location—a bed.
- The main character of Silver Linings Playbook walks in on his wife having one of these with her lover.
- Subverted in The Skulls, when the protagonist and his female friend turn on the shower to mask their conversation (his dorm room is bugged). During the course of their argument, they finally admit how they feel about each other and sure enough....
- Beginning to crop up in Nicholas Sparks movies almost as much as Caught in the Rain. The Lucky One and The Longest Ride both featured scenes of this.
- Alien: Covenant. After the crew of Covenant escape back to their spaceship, two of them have Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex in a shower. This becomes Fan Disservice when a Xenomorph decides to reenact the shower scene from Psycho.
- Seen in The Spy Who Loved Me.
- Used (and showerheads were, ah, utilized) in a certain Rei Shimura novel.
- In The Dresden Files novel Proven Guilty, though not outright stated, it is implied that Michael and Charity Carpenter had one of these right before he leaves to go on another mission.
- Turns up in Eric van Lustbader' novel The Ninja, with an unexpected masochistic turn.
- In the multiple-parallel-timeline Star Trek: The Next Generation novel Q-Squared, it's implied that Picard and Crusher do this:
[Crusher] took a deep breath as if a weight had been lifted from her. "Okay, so... would you like to shower?""You can go first."
She smiled. "Who said anything about going one at a time?"
- The Takers by Jerry Ahern. The hero and his old flame end up in the shower and the following suggestive dialogue occurs.
"What's this? Oh my god, its growing!"
"The water does that - hydroponics."
"More like hydropenis."
- In the German novel Giganten ("Giants") the main characters have sex in the shower, but a magically animated animatronic T-Rex spoils the fun.
Live Action TV
- Subverted in the premier of Alias, where Sydney lures her fiance into the shower with the implication she wants to have sex, when she really wants to use the noise the shower makes to hide that she's telling him about her real job as a spy.
- In an early second season episode of In Plain Sight, Mary goes to her boyfriend's house and finds him in the shower. After they talk, he asks her for a towel. She opens all the cabinets and finds nothing but a washcloth. The next scene is the washcloth hanging on the door handle and her stepping into the shower. He'd replaced a suitcase full of drugs with the towels to foil the FBI, and no one had been able to explain the towels.
- Charmed had one between Leo and Piper. A later Time Travel episode had Phoebe walking in on this scene.
- Discussed in Criminal Minds, when Garcia's talking to JJ about showering with Kevin. "Sometimes a girl's just got to wash her hair alone, you know?"
- Kevin and Toby have at least one steamy shower sex scene on Dante's Cove. Memorable in part because it was used in the opening credits of season three.
- Shower Scenes in general are fairly common in prison dramas like Oz, but a particularly notable Shower Of Love subversion occurs in season three: homosexual Richie Hanlon has just come off death row and returned to the general population. First night back, he's in the shower when another man starts coming onto him. Both Richie and the audience are expecting some celebratory "off-death-row" loving, until the other man slits Richie's throat with a razor blade he had hidden between his teeth.
- The short-lived British sitcom The Savages had the main characters doing this, then wondering why it had been so long since they tried it. They remember it was because they could never agree on the water temperature.
- Mentioned in the All in the Family episode "The Very Moving Day", when Gloria finds out that she's pregnant, and she and Mike blame each other for the time they had sex without protection:
Gloria: Well, there was a cold shower in the house, you know!
Mike: I know, I took one, it didn't help!
Gloria: BECAUSE YOU TOOK IT WITH ME!
- The Big Bang Theory: Leonard and Priya have sex in the shower in "The Agreement Dissection".
- Briefly discussed in Cuckoo after Ken tell Cuckoo not to walk around naked. It's fine to be naked while having a shower, having sex with his daughter and having sex with his daughter while in the shower apparently.
- Star Trek: Enterprise. While suffering from Trelium-D withdrawal, T'pol has a hallucination of herself and Trip Tucker making out in the shower, that quickly turns Nightmare Fuel.
- Despite being set in the 19th century, the titular Dr Quinn and Sully manage to have one of these outdoors — under a Waterfall Shower.
- Subverted twice with Liz Keen and her husband in The Blacklist. The first time, we learn that they're being watched by two guys who have bugged their houses. The second time, Tom's hands are still bloody from having murdered two people.
- Heavily implied with Castle and Beckett, who also like to dance and sing together in the shower.
- In the Crusade episode "The Rules of the Game", the Romance Arc between Gideon and Babylon 5 CO Elizabeth Lochley culminates in them having sex in her shower after surviving an assassination attempt.
- CSI: Cyber: Brody and Raven get it on in the shower at the end of "Why-Fi".
- Grey's Anatomy: Lexie briefly walks in on Callie and Arizona having sex in the shower.
- After a rough patch in their marriage, Derek and Meredith reconcile with a long session of shower sex.
- In an episode of Monday Mornings, two doctors celebrate having saved a patient's life with one of these.
- The Sims 3 allows shower woohoo in one of the expansion packs.
- In Mass Effect 3, a female Shepard can offer Samantha Traynor the use of her shower (the only decently functioning shower on the ship)... and join her in it. Shepard's comment afterward: "Are you using me for my shower?"
- One can take place between Aoba and his Victorious Childhood Friend Koujaku in the DRAMAtical Murder sequel Re: Connect.
- In True Love Junai Monogatari, Chiemi Fujimoto's good ending has the Player Character and her taking one of these.
- Oddly given its general cheerfully explicit approach to sex and plentiful strips featuring the cast showering, Ménage à 3 mostly seems to avert this. Notably, Gary's shower with Amber is interrupted just as it's getting really interesting (strips #662-666, October 23-November 01, 2012, NSFW).
- In The Wretched Ones it is implied that John often attempts this whenever Charlie is showering.
- Sunstone has this happen. Since it happens right after the protagonists' first BDSM session, it can be assumed that they're both rather exhausted and it's more of an extended watery cuddle than an all-out-romp.
- In The Simpsons episode "Kamp Krusty", Homer and Marge have a scene like this after Bart and Lisa leave for camp.
- In Family Guy episode "Family Goy", Peter makes love to a life-sized cardboard Kathy Ireland figure in the shower, in an example of taking Cardboard Pal (or perhaps Companion Cube) to its (il)logical extreme.