I wanna give you a gift, a series of gifts, leading up to, well... how 'bout call it "the ultimate gift".The Ultimate Gift is a movie based on the best-selling novel of the same name. It opens with Mr. Hamilton (Bill Cobbs) being informed of the death of his long-time friend and colleague Howard "Red" Stevens (James Garner).
— Howard "Red" Stevens, via Video Will
This film provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Two parents were predeceased by their children; Red and Alexia.
- Becoming the Mask: Jason towards Emily. He only befriended her for the condition on the will. But he later got to know her as a person.
- Bittersweet Ending: Sure, Jason finishes all the challenges, becomes a billionaire, and gets together with Alexia, but Emily dies.
- Bookends: At Red's funeral, a series of statues framed by dark clouds are shown to set the scene in the graveyard. When Emily dies, the same statues are seen from the same angles, with a clear blue sky in the background.
- Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie: Red wished to be buried under Texas soil. His relatives pour some sand on his coffin at the funeral in North Carolina.
- Cowboy: Gus. Jason isn't too shabby himself, once he gets into it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Emily is not afraid to speak her mind. Jason has his moments, as well.
- Dying Alone: The only two people in the world who mattered to Emily were absent when she died.
- Fair Weather Friend: After Jason's stuff is taken and his account is frozen, no one is willing to help him.
- Foreshadowing: Only by a minute, sure, but when Jason is bringing Alexia's purse to the hospital and walks under the sign for Children's Oncology...
- Gold Digger: Jason's girlfriend.
- Idle Rich: Jason and his entire extended family. He gets better, though.
- Ill Girl: Emily.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Red feels this way about all his family, but thinks Jason could redeem himself.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Jason and Emily.
- Jerk Ass: An entire family of 'em.
- Last Disrespects: Red's family at his funeral, from snide comments to showing up late and interrupting the pastor with your "muffler" that does nothing of the sort.
- Little Miss Snarker: Emily.
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Emily, though we don't know it at first.
- Meal Ticket: Caitlin sees Jason as this, and abandons him when he asks her to pay for dinner when his account is frozen.
- Parental Substitute: Jason, for Emily
- Posthumous Character: Red
- Rich Bitch: Any of the females in Jason's family.
- Sent Off To Work For Relatives: One of Jason's first "gifts" is the gift of hard work. He is sent to a ranch in the middle of nowhere, to work for a close friend of his grandfather's, until he understands the value of hard work.
- Spoiled Brat: Jason's cousins.