- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The lengthy sequence where Jason visits Ecuador and gets kidnapped by drug lords. After his release and return home, he doesn't seem troubled at all.
- Broken Aesop: The Ultimate Gift turns out to be 2 billion dollars, negating the moral thesis of the film. As DVD Talk puts it:
"You make an inspirational movie about healing and growth, and at the end, the gift is something internal, like being nice to people or not being a jackass anymore. That's a message worth hearing. Having your hero wind up a billionaire suggests we should all do good things solely in the hope of landing a monetary reward. Ugh."
- Harsher in Hindsight: "I plan on knowing Jason for the rest of my life."
- Tastes Like Diabetes
- Tear Jerker: Make sure you have a lot of tissues. You're gonna need 'em.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Emily acts like Jason betrayed her by not seeing her on Christmas... because he was being held prisoner by drug lords in Ecuador.