Creator: Steven Soderbergh
It would be bad enough if Soderbergh merely wrote, directed, and/or produced a nonstop barrage of provocative, eclectic films and television shows. But that isnít enough for our greedy little friend. No, he has to shoot his own films and edit them under pseudonyms
. Quite frankly, I find it a little sickening that one bald, bespectacled little man is able to do so many things so brilliantly. It isnít fair. Soderbergh is throwing off the curve. Maybe the reason Hollywood is filled with so many mouth-breathing troglodytes is because heís hogged all the talent. Either heís one of the most remarkable talents in American film, or thereís a very busy genie out there granting all his wishes. Alternately, heís cloned himself Multiplicity
style, and has six or seven exact copies helping him get shit done.
Steven Andrew Soderbergh (born 1963) is an Academy Award
winning film director and producer. He also acts as a writer, cinematographer, and editor on most of his pictures, almost always under a pseudonym. He is best known for going back and forth from making low budget indie films to large budget crowd pleasers, as well as making his movies very quickly and under budget. He's also a major proponent of digital film making.
He frequently works
with George Clooney
, Matt Damon
, and Julia Roberts
He claims that his cinematic career is at an end and plans on retiring from film making in the near future, with his apparent swan song being his long-in-gestation Biopic
of Liberace, Behind The Candelabra
. He does still plan on directing theater and television the first of which being The Knick
Films directed by him include:
Tropes applying to the man and his work:
- Acclaimed Flop: If his films aren't sleeper hits, then they'll be this.
- Auteur License: He got one after videotape, and seemed to be on the verge of losing it until he made Out of Sight. He was pretty much granted one for life after the Oceans Trilogy.
- Bald of Awesome
- Breakthrough Hit: sex, lies, and videotape
- California Doubling: Averted. He'll always shoot on location.
- Career Resurrection: Out of Sight.
- Cloudcuckoolander: One of the projects on his website is making a black-and-white version of Raiders of the Lost Ark with music by Trent Reznor.
- Development Hell: He first approached Michael Douglas to play Liberace when they were working together on Traffic. It took 13 years before the film was finally made
- Exact Words: He said that he would retire from filmmaking. That hasn't stopped him from directing a play, a show and acting as the DP for and editing Magic Mike XXL.
- He Also Did: Was Assistant Director on The Hunger Games. Really.
- Mind Screw: Schizopolis. Non-stop.
- Pen Name: When he's a Cinematographer or Editor, he's credited under, respectively, "Peter Andrews" and "Mary Ann Bernard".
- Pop-Star Composer: Has worked with Cliff Martinez and David Holmes.
- Production Posse: Collaborates with writer Scott Z. Burns, Matt Damon, George Clooney, Eddie Jemison and Channing Tatum. And when he's not editing his own movies, Stephen Mirrione is his editor.
- Renaissance Man: Is a Director, Writer, Producer, Cinematographer, Editor, Composer and Painter.