Visual Novel: True Love Junai Monogatari
True Love ~Jun'ai Monogatari~ (TRUE LOVE ～純愛物語～?), better known simply as True Love, is a Japanese erotic visual novel developed by Software House Parsley and published by CD Bros., released on June 9, 1995 for the PC-98 and on December 6, 1996 for Windows. It was localized in Europe by Otaku Publishing and distributed in North America by JAST USA in January 1999. Unlike traditional, even modern visual novels, which are characteristically uninvolved beyond the periodic decision to make, True Love incorporates elements reminiscent of a role-playing game, for which it is also occasionally categorized.
The Player Character
(default name: Daisuke) is a highschool (or "college" in the localization) senior from the fictional town of Meiai. His Amazingly Embarrassing Parents
(and specially his Dirty Old Man
dad) want him badly
to have a girlfriend, so they've made him live in a flat under the idea that being an independent man will help him attract romantic partners. Also, the MC is plagued by doubts about his academics, as he's Book Dumb
but also kinda aware that he could do better...
True Love Junai Monogatari has the following tropes
- Above the Influence: If you want to get Yumi-sensei, you must give her a hug instead of pushing her on her bed. (You'll end up doing it anyway)
- Also, DON'T kiss Ryouko after she has a fight with her brother. Take her home instead.
- Berserk Button:
- The Player Character detests any mistreatment of women. It goes double when said mistreatment includes outright violence, whether psychological/physical/sexual, he can be seen either: angrily calling out Ryouko's brother Tadaki when he finds out how controlling he is to his little sister, screaming and swearing at Mikazaki-sensei when he abducts Mayumi to sexually abuse her, straightforwardly attacking Remi's kidnapper despite said kidnapper being armed with a prop gun or kicking out Toshio from his doorstep when he intends to see if he's got a girl in there (he does, but said girl's in the shower after she got caught in a huge downpour and Toshio's known for being The Casanova).
- Mikae, the local Tsundere, has some of her own too. First, don't blow her off if she comes talk to you. Two, don't miss your date with her in August. Third, and the most important one... NEVER go out in a second date with Remi (whether it ends in Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex or not) and then go out with her in her birthday. (She's got BIG reasons for the last one.)
- While all the girls get upset if you miss your dates with them, the usually sweet and kind Miyuki will be specially angry. i.e., Mikae may give you a second chance in regards to you forgetting her August outing — this girl won't.
- Yumi-sensei does NOT like it when her students are slackers, and double if it's the MC. And even worse: NO ONE should ever harm said students, whether it's Mayumi or the MC or anyone else.
- Be Yourself: Pretty much the whole plot and idea behind Ryoko's path.
- Broken Bird: Mayumi has some traces of this.
- But Thou Must: A justified example: during the swimming competition, you'll hear Arisa drowning. You're given the option of either looking for her, or not looking for her so you can concentrate on winning the race. If you pick the latter option, Arisa's continued cries for help cause the PC to drop out of the race to look for her anyway, since obviously he can't just ignore a drowning person.
- Childhood Friend Romance: It happens if you make the PC pursue Mikae.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: As a little boy, the MC always said he'd make Mikae his bride. And he is surprised when Mikae says that not only she remembers, but she promised to herself that she'd be with him.
- Chivalrous Pervert: The Player Character. He's a Lovable Sex Maniac who comments a LOT on girls's boobs and panties and would clearly love getting laid, but won't force any girl to do stuff she doesn't want to, is repulsed when his The Casanova classmate makes dismissing comments about girls as a whole, and has any kind of violence against women as his personal Berserk Button. And at least thrice he's seen rescuing girls from trouble.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The MC is fairly potty-mouthed, and specially in his inner thoughts.
- Atomic F-Bomb: It goes to this level when Mayumi is rescued from Mikazaki, and Mikazaki tries to victim-blame her. The fact that poor Mayumi is sobbing in the MC's arms does not help.
- Creator Couple: In-universe example: The MC and Mayumi, if they get hitched. She becomes a popular fashion model, with him as her favorite fashion designer.
- Also with Miyuki, as they both are fashion designers and Miyuki designs and wears cute lingerie inspired in their relationship.
- Covert Pervert: Miyuki, and HOW.
- Cute Bookworm: Remi (in the academic sense) and Miyuki (in the artistic one)
- Faceless Protagonist: You never see the MC's whole face, even in the sex scenes. At most, we know that he's fairly tall and athletic, has blue-ish hair and possesses a big cock.
- Fan Disservice: Seeing Mayumi's panties is not hot when she's Bound and Gagged and about to be blackmailed into sex by Mikazaki.
- Girl Next Door: Mikae, and Miyuki and Arisa to a lesser degree.
- Glad To Be A Live Sex: With either Remi (after rescuing her from her kidnapper) or Chiemi (after she rescues you from drowning)
- Good Bad Girl: Mayumi, who dresses up quite sexily and hangs around the Red Light District. Kind of a plot point when you find her panties... which she intends to sell in a sex shop. You gotta give them back to her, too.
- Guide Dang It: Unlocking Anze's path, and arguably Ryoko's.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Misako. You meet her while doing Pleasure, and your second meeting will take place near a bar. And it will end up in sex.
- Hospital Hottie: Misako, too.
- Hope Spot: Minor example: if you dated Remi on the 27th and then date Mikae on the 28th, Mikae will question you about if you had sex with Remi or not. It doesn't matter if you did or not: if you tell her you didn't, she'll seemingly believe you for a minute and then explode in righteous fury, calling you a liar amongst other things, and tell you to never talk to her again. If you are pursuing Mikae and dated Remi "by mistake", it IS a big Hope Spot...
- If It's You, It's Okay: If the MC pursues Arisa, her older brother Kazuhiko will give the MC a Love Confession too. if rejected he takes it in stride.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Mikae issues this warning in regards to Miyuki when introducing her to the MC.
- Ill Girl: Miyuki, who's anemic and tends to pass out.
- Interspecies Romance - Magical Girlfriend: Anze. With a touch of Shapeshifting Lover, since at some point she's in the form of a Cute Kitten and then a Cat Girl.
- Intimate Healing: If the MC gets Anze to recover her human form, she's seen as a naked Cat Girl. As she somehow cannot fully recover her powers, she asks for this - and it works. Subverted if he actually gets her as his girlfriend, as what she truly needed was The Power of Love - expressed through their sex act.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy <- -> Insecure Love Interest: It's hinted that Misako was kinda smitten with the PC ever since meeting him, but once they have sex she pushes him away and insists that they shouldn't go past their present fling, saying "you'll find someone else. Someone better than me". Of course, if you make the PC do things well in September, Misako will reconsider her decision and give him both a second lay and the chance to actually date her.
- Lolicon: Toyed with if the MC dates Arisa, a girl who is highschool-aged but looks far younger than she actually is.
- Love Triangle: It's easy to get the MC in one where both Mikae and Remi are interested in him. Unlike the other paths, you cannot get both girls's endings in one game slot: either Mikae will run off angrily if she believes Remi is the chosen one or Remi will be kidnapped (and likely molested) by the Panty Thief if you miss the date with her.
- Kimono Fanservice: If you get Mikae, her ending's CG will have her and the PC managing to have sex in New Years while she's wearing a kimono.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Several sex scenes take outside a bedroom or a Love Hotel. i.e.: Chiemi can be seduced on the beach and her final CG happens in a shower stall , while you can have the MC do Misako in the infirmary.
- May-December Romance: Subverted: Misako's not much older than the protagonist (he's 18-19 tops and she's in her mid 20's), but she's so sophisticated that he acts as if she were.
- Mistaken for Gay: The MC is on both ends. On one hand he wonders if Mikae and Miyuki's Romantic Two-Girl Friendship goes beyond it, but then decides against the thought. On the other, Chiemi wonders if he's bi or gay after seeing him talk to Kazuhiko.
- Near-Rape Experience: When Mikazaki finds out that Mayumi is a Good Bad Girl, he gets her Bound and Gagged and tells her that he won't tell the school authorities in exchange for sex. (And adds that this is NOT the first time he's done that.) When Mayumi refuses, he starts stripping her. You as the MC are given the option to barge in, and if you do, you gain huge love points with Mayumi and Yumi-sensei.
- Older Than They Look: Arisa is highschool aged. Really, she is.
- The Ojou: Remi Himekawa, who's the Spoiled Sweet type.
- Parental Abandonment: Subverted with the MC, who lives on his own but has his Dirty Old Man dad showing up once or twice, and not to mention the apartment he lives in is owned by the family. Played straight with Ryouko, raised by her older brother and manager Tadaaki after their parents passed away in an accident.
- Panty Shot: Many, many of these take place. In fact, you meet Mayumi via tripping on her — and her white panties are the first clear view you get of her.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Chiemi Fujimoto, captain of the swimming team.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Mikae Morikawa plays the trope remarkably straight.
- The Peeping Tom: The game pretty much starts with the PC and Kazuhiko trying to peep on the girls of the swimming team. Chiemi catches the PC, and then the gameplay will give you the option to have him either tell her that he was just cleaning up around or flat-out admit his peeping. In any way, she lets him go but warns him that she won't have mercy the next time.
- Precision F-Strike: Yumi's "What the HELL are you doing?!" when she and the MC stop Mikazaki from raping Mayumi.
- Raging Stiffie: A Running Gag is having the protagonist get those in the worst possible moments, which massively embarrasses him.
- Relationship Values: There are more than one factor that will be crucial into getting the girl you want:
- Mikae: No real preference, but Scholarship will work against you as it will pin her against Remi.
- Remi: Scholarship (Academics) Which must be maxed out in mid-September - if you don't get the highest school scores in the tests, you'll lose out on her.
- Miyuki: Art (Art Learning)
- Mayumi: Appearance (Fashion)
- Chiemi: Strength (Sports) and Appearance
- Misako: No fixed stat (but do lots of Pleasure before July ends)
- Ryouko: No fixed stat (but do lots of key events) note
- Arisa: Passion (and do lots of Pleasure events in the correct dates)
- Yumi-sensei: Scholarship (but also rescue Mayumi)
- Anze: Passion (and also buying the Angel Wings, taking her in when she's stuck as a Cute Kitten, work on Fashion in a specific date and hour. and keep the Passion as high as possible)
- Additionally, if the PC has high Fatigue, a Running Gag with Mikae calling him out on his poor hygiene will start taking place until you lower it.
- Rescue Romance: Happens if you win over Remi (rescue from kidnappers), Arisa (rescue from drowning) and Mayumi (rescue from a Near-Rape Experience). In a subversion, rescuing Mayumi helps you gain points with Yumi-sensei as well... because the would be rapist is her sort-of boyfriend.
- And if you romance Chiemi and Yumi, either of them will rescue the Player Character from drowning ( Chiemi) or thugs (Yumi, made better because the PC was trying to help her).
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Implied between Mikae and Miyuki. Mikae is a Cool Big Sis for Miyuki, is pretty protective of her, and if Miyuki and the MC meet up in July she tells him she's got a date with her, which elicits a Mistaken for Gay moment from the MC himself.
- Sailor Fuku: The PC's school features the girls using the blue and white version.
- Sex Equals Love: You can't get the PC hitched with a girl if he hasn't done it with her. And in almost all the good endings, there's a last CG with the girl and the PC cheerfully engaging in casual kinks. (Kinky roleplaying with Misako, oral sex with Mayumi, sex in a library with Remi, cosplay with Anze, a Shower of Love with Chiemi...)
- Shrinking Violet: Miyuki
- Sick Episode: Subverted. If you have high art by the time the swimming competition takes place, Miyuki will show up and pass out as you guys talk. However, Mikae will take care of her instead of you.
- Skilled, but Na´ve: Miyuki, very pretty genius artist... and extremely sheltered in regards to men and interpersonal relationships. Even the PC cannot believe it.
- Third-Person Person: Arisa, sometimes.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Mikae is the tomboy to Miyuki's girly girl.
- Mayumi, a Type A. She's a harsh and quick-tempered Fiery Redhead, but has a kind heart.
- Mikae is a Type B, happy and kind to everyone save for the MC
- Umbrella of Togetherness: Can take place with either Mikae or Mayumi. Rejecting the first's offer will lead the second to make hers.
- Unrequited Love: Chiemi might fall in this situation towards your MC. She can bump into the MC and then walk home with him if you give him a very high Appearance... The catch is that this can take place in September even if she hasn't been romanced in August, meaning that she can develop feelings the MC despite not "qualifying" as a potential girlfriend.
- Uptown Girl: Romancing Remi will be troublesome because she's The Ojou, therefore she's far outta the PC's reach. Which her Unlucky Childhood Friend and her Overprotective Dad will often remind you of. Unless you actually finish Remi's route, which involves saving Remi from a kidnapper among other things; Mr. Himekawa will be so impressed by the MC's courage that he'll lift the Parental Dating Veto and give him and Remi their blessings.
- Visual Novel
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Miyuki and Remi fit into the trope in different ways. Miyuki is more about the kindness, Remi is about the grace and class.
- Your Cheating Heart: If you are seeing both Mikae and Remi, you'll get the chance to date Remi on the 27th of September and Mikae on the 28th. If you do, Mikae will believe you had sex with Remi (even if you didn't), she'll call you a bastard and leave in a huff, ruining your chances with her forever. To top it off, the 28th is Mikae's birthday...