"Do all hospitals usually have this many cute nurses on their staff or was this place purposely stockpiling to make sure that they had a steady influx of self-injured male patients?"
Exactly What It Says on the Tin
, medical personnel who are attractive. Makes you just wanna shout: "Helloooo
Expect "sponge bath", "raising temperatures" and "racing pulses" jokes. See also Naughty Nurse Outfit
for when a nurse's outfit is deployed specifically for sexification purposes, and The Florence Nightingale Effect
for nurse/doctor-patient relationships.
Unfortunately for people who expect this trope to be Truth in Television
, anyone who has ever been to a real hospital will notice that the nurses are more concerned with their jobs than titillating their patients. They will be wearing little if any makeup, and will always be in Boring but Practical
scrubs, which are nowhere near as appealing as the fetishized nurse outfits in media, and you'll almost never see a nurse on the job with her hair done up like they always do on TV. The fanciest "style" you will likely ever see is a simple ponytail, for hygienic reasons.
Even in the cases where this trope is Truth in Television
, there's not a lot of sexy activity going on. Nurses see you when you look and feel your worst. They watch you vomit, clean your catheters and bedpans, wipe your nether-regions, jab you with sharp needles, and are prone to sticking uncomfortable things in various orifices. And there is really nothing pleasant about genital or rectal examinations. Just because you might be naked does not mean anything fun is about to happen.
Please note that this applies to a character, not simply any hot actor playing a hospital worker, for the same reason Real Life
examples are not listed here. Most actors are "hot" in the first place
, so it usually goes unsaid. You can have an attractive hospital worker without
their hotness being a plot element in the work - that would not
fall under "Hospital Hottie".
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Miyo Takano, small-town nurse and Big Bad in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, with short dress and high black stockings.
- Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. The Major gets a new body from a Les Yay doctor with large, bouncing breasts. Despite The Major's implied bisexuality, she's not impressed especially when the Hot Doc turns out to be an assassin.
- Sumire Kisaragi, the new school nurse, in Change 123. The reactions of male students are understandable. Of course, what they don't know is that she is actually a kunoichi who infiltrated into the school to recruit a new member into her (all-female) ninja clan. And that she is very skillful in using the scalpel as a weapon.
- Sakura from Urusei Yatsura is both the local Miko and the nurse in Ataru's school. One of her Berserk Buttons is to see the boys hurt themselves to have an excuse to go to her for help - she beats them up in punishment.
- Tsunade of Naruto is widely considered the greatest medical ninja in the world and the most beautiful female ninja.
- In episode 39 of Get Backers, Hevn ditches a bedridden Ginji to go flirt with a tall, handsome doctor. She later finds out that he's got a wife and kids. Ouch.
- Nurse Joy from Pokémon, ''all'' of them. (Of course, maybe she's better described as a veterinarian than a nurse, but even so...)
- Candace "Candy" White-Andree of Candy Candy is a beautiful Plucky Girl who, after several hard experiences, decides to become a nurse. Since she's the adoptive daughter of a rich and snobbish family, she has to fight with teeth and nails to get her wish and to keep them away from her attempts to build herself a life of her own.
- Bleach. Medical Director of Karakura Town's main hospital, Ryuuken Ishida. Never seen in anything but white suits and medical coat (occasionally, he foregoes the medical coat if seen outside the hospital). It's confirmed that when he was in school, he was the school heartthrob.
- Justified in Empowered, the staff of the Purple Paladin Memorial Hospital's supra-human wing have access to exotic technology that makes them extremely good looking and have extremely skimpy uniforms (yes, both females and males). When Empowered asks why they're all so good looking they simply tell her it's just coincidence. That's later revealed to be a lie when one of them happens consumes food laced with something designed to neutralize superpowers and reverts to being a normal, unattractive and rather overweight guy.
- Cecelia Reyes of X-Men is a doctor and surgeon. She's not interested in joining the x-men or being a superhero, but she does have the typical idealized superheroine physique.
- Amy is considered this by others in Prison Island Break. She's harassed by Sonic, Shadow and presumably a few other prisoners.
- Lensman ("Galactic Patrol"). When Lensman Kimball Kinnison is severely wounded, his admiral orders that the most attractive nurses in the Patrol attend to him, figuring he'll inevitably fall in love with one, so she might as well be a looker. The doctor criticises this popular belief, pointing out that while patients fall for their nurses, the reverse seldom happens because the nurses aren't seeing the patient at their best. Nevertheless the stunning Clarissa MacDougall attends to the handsome hero, and sure enough the two proceed to annoy the hell out of each other with their Belligerent Sexual Tension.
- Played with in James White's Sector General series. Murchison (originally a staff RN, later earns her MD and goes into pathology) is described as being quite attractive by Earth-human standards, but the only one who acknowledges it is Conway. The vast majority of the staff, being composed of numerous species of Starfish Aliens, actually find her appearance a bit off-putting. Also played with in a different direction - when human doctors have received mind tapes from other species, they can find members of those species absurdly attractive - even if they look like giant crustaceans, or whatever.
- Max Barry's Machine Man features the Prosthetist Lola. For a man with almost no interest in his fellow human beings, Dr. Charles Neumann finds her extremely attractive.
- Upon seeing Carlisle Cullen for the first time in Twilight Bella thought, "Then a doctor walked around the corner, and my mouth fell open. He was young, he was blond... and he was handsomer than any other movie star I'd seen. He was pale, though, and tired-looking, with circles under his eyes. From Charlie's description, this had to be Edward's father."
Live Action TV
- Torchwood: Miracle Day's Dr. Vera Juarez. Walking down hospital corridors with her long legs, perfect hair, low cut dress, and high heels, she looks like a model walking the runway.
- For that matter, Dr. Owen Harper, although he no longer works at a hospital. You can bet quite a few female patients were smitten with him when he did, though.
- Lampshaded in Season 9 of Scrubs, when Dr. Cox tells a young intern that she is far too good looking to ever be taken seriously as a doctor. He's right◊, too, even if he is ignoring all the other women who have passed through the show.
- Everyone on General Hospital and its spinoffs, Night Shift and Port Charles.
- Grey's Anatomy:
- McDreamy (Derek Shepherd) and McSteamy (Mark Sloan) are referred to within the show as being attractive, while everyone else is Hollywood Normal.
- Izzie Stevens also receives frequent in-show comments about her looks, and actually put herself through med school modeling. She's arguably a deconstruction of the idea, since she admits she wonders if people like her for her or her looks, and is tired of always being described as "the pretty girl".
- Both of Bailey's Love Interests (after her separation) are of the Tall, Dark and Handsome variety (the "tall" part is emphasized because Bailey is on the short side).
- House: Nearly the whole cast of the entire show.
- Cuddy was frequently teased by House for dressing inappropriately. She doesn't really seem to mind.
[As Cuddy bends over] Oh. My. God
. You're not wearing any panties
[Standing up quickly] Yes, I am. House:
tight, you got no secrets. Skirt that
tight, I can tell if you're wearing an IUDnote
- In the first few seasons, House speculated aloud at least once on why Cameron became a doctor, since she was pretty enough to get by on her looks alone. (He concluded she must feel she had something to prove). By the last season, Cameron seems almost plain compared to other lady doctors on the team.
- Chase (pictured at the top of this page) is immensely hot. One Littlest Cancer Patient manipulated him into kissing her because he was the most handsome doctor. House and Wilson like teasing him about being "dreamy." In one episode, Chase reacts to this teasing by attempting to prove he's not that attractive by going to a speed dating event and acting as off-putting as he can realistically manage. He's forced to admit that he can pretty much coast on his looks when it turns out that over half the women are interested in seeing him again anyway.
- Even Park, whom the writers tried to play up as Hollywood Homely, has some serious nerd appeal.
- House himself is worth noting, as the character is supposed to be distinctly unsexy. The general consensus is that it didn't work.
- Robert Palmer's "Bad Case of Lovin' You (Doctor, Doctor)" (Doctor, doctor, gimme the news, I gotta bad case of loving you...)
- Alice Cooper's "Nurse Rosetta" is about a priest fantasizing about a nurse.
- The Yu-Gi-Oh! game has a few. The most famous example is Injection Fairy Lily; not only is she a cute nurse (if yo can get past the huge syringe), the anime emphasizes it, having her flirt with the opposing player when she's summoned (which the dub edits out in most cases). Her Older and Wiser form, Counselor Lily is a subversion; given as her dress is more modest and she seems to be taking her job more seriously when she appears on the Spell Card Attrafic Control (which fits, seeing as the position of counselor would suggest an advanced degree). There’s also Nurse Reficule the Fallen One, who is clearly an evil version of the trope, emphasized by the fact that her effect changes Life Point gain into Effect Damage. (pretty much the opposite of what a nurse is supposed to to. Of course, she is a Fallen Angel.)
- Older than Television: Old Vaudeville shows often had a scene where an attractive woman in a nurse's uniform would walk across the stage, prompting the male cast members to call out: "Hello, Nurse!!". (And now you know.) See the "doctor sketch" in Neil Simon's The Sunshine Boys for a good reenactment of this bit.
- Rival Schools has Kyoko Minazuki, a rather buxom school nurse.
- Litchi Faye Ling from BlazBlue is a doctor who is currently trying to find a cure for a certain monster who used to be her friend. She's... wearing a very Stripperiffic red Qipao, which shows her very buxom body (there's a reason why her In Universe Nickname is 'Boobie Lady'). She's got a more conservative, covering cloth when not fighting, though. And her voice also sounds flirtuous at times (although she's probably just teasing).
- Sayoko Uehara of Persona 4, an extremely flirty nurse with whom the main character can develop the Devil Arcana.
- Almost every Harvest Moon title has at least one good-looking person in the medical profession that is an eligible marriage candidate. Probably the only exception is Dr. Hardy from the Wonderful Life series.
- Teddie Adelaide in Mitsumete Knight. The protagonist in-game (and one of the Official Konami Guides as well) even hangs a lampshade about her "nice body" when they are at the beach.
- Valentine from Skullgirls does dress as a nurse and her combat repertoire includes lots of medic-based things, including surgeries and such. And her breasts pop out of her nurse outfit. It's a trap; don't fall for it.
- Mikan Tsumiki from Super Dangan Ronpa 2 seems to look like one, with the semi-short nurse's uniform, being wrapped around in bandages and having a large bust size. But she's also very clumsy, prone to shrieking and crying and in chapter 1, she is covered with food.
- This trope is half the point of Kiss Of Revenge, which is set at a large Tokyo hospital and features several very attractive doctors as potential love interests for the protagonist, along with two very cute nurses and a stylish female M.D. as supporting characters.
- Leela is once impressed with a handsome doctor, which makes her all flirty: "A tall doctor, you say?" His name is Adlai Atkins and they grew up in the same orphanage. He's an eye surgeon, and it doesn't hurt that most doctors are rich.
- The movie had a sexy young doctor named Dr. Cahill, (although Fry just called her Dr. Good and Sexy) who - despite her insistence that her attractive nature didn't make her a bimbo - was in fact a bimbo.
- An old Popeye cartoon has him and Bluto competing to see who can be the first to get hurt badly, so they can be treated by nurse Olive. Olive's hotness is an Informed Ability at best. In-universe, Bluto and Popeye certainly believe in it, though.
- An episode of The Penguins of Madagascar had Private falling in love with the zoo's new cute vet, and repeatedly getting himself hurt on purpose in order to spend more time with her.
- The Amazing World of Gumball: Gumball dreams of one day becoming a "handsome" doctor when he grows up.
- Hello, Nurse! from Animaniacs who unsurprisingly is a nurse has men lusting after her constantly especially the Warner Brothers.