A lot of video games involve characters
. Sometimes those characters get it on. Of course, since this is a video game
, it's only a couple more steps of logic to present those, err, activities
as part of gameplay. The result is this trope, so named
after the Unusual Euphemism
used in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
. (See below for more details on its amusing history.)
Please note that this trope does not concern the depiction of sex in a video game; that falls under "Optional Sexual Encounter
." This trope concerns when said encounter is interactive
. If the player doesn't have some control over what happens, it doesn't count. This means games like The Sims
are right out, since you can tell your characters to "Woohoo
," but the act itself is a Cut Scene
with no interactivity. Of course, Rule 34
being what it is, there are Game Mods
which make Woohoo interactive. Those do
fall under this trope. (Again, more on that below.)
This trope often crosses over with Optional Sexual Encounter
, since (most) games do not make sex mandatory. Often overlaps with Ikea Erotica
("press B to thrust!").
- Each God of War game has one. Amusingly, they are Safe For Work Everywhere But America (SFWEBUS), since the Quick Time Event takes place against a Sexy Discretion Shot background.
- III seems to have missed the point of a Sexy Discretion Shot. When the minigame starts, the camera pans... to Aphrodite's two half-naked handmaidens fondling each other while watching the action and eventually starting a private minigame themselves offscreen.
- Up to Eleven in the Ghost of Sparta, where Kratos visits a brothel in Sparta and manages to entertain EIGHT women at once.... it must have been a really large bed!.
- Subverted in Ascension. There are a few moments where Kratos is about to have sex , but he doesn't go through with it because he realizes these are illusions caused by the Furies. Considering the game take place six months after Kratos killed his family, it would probably be in bad-taste to include such a mini-game anyway.
- The original version of Fahrenheit has several sex scenes, the first of them being optional and interactive, which were both Dummied Out when the game was released in the United States under the title Indigo Prophecy. The developers claimed that the removal didn't affect the plot, thereby implying they were entirely gratuitous.
- Not the plot, maybe, but certainly the characterization.
- Heavy Rain also features an interactive sex scene.
- Many porn games have this, especially Hentai.
- If the game is by Illusion, this probably is the game.
Real Time Strategy
- Parodied in Achievement Unlocked 2, where the elephant protagonist runs and leaps around a giant coffee mug.
- Another Flash platformer, Humbugger, in which you play a chicken, has a sequence in which a rooster appears out of a bush. Chicken and rooster then disappear into the bush together, and the top of the screen becomes a reaction game. Hitting the right keys causes the bush to shake, and the game gets steadily faster. Completing this game causes an egg to roll out of the bush. A chick then hatches from the egg, and becomes the new playable character for a while.
- Star Control II has this within the storyline, though it's not especially smutty (the screen goes black and the Dialogue Tree goes suggestive).
- Mass Effect gets an honorable mention here. It does not actually exhibit this trope, as its Optional Sexual Encounter was completely non-interactive, but it was accused of having such a minigame (incorrectly) at the height of the Hot Coffee scandal, and reaped the rewards of free press.
- Temple Of Elemental Evil, a Dungeons & Dragons video game made by Troika, originally had a brothel that was later Dummied Out. With the Circle of Eight Mod Pack, it becomes available again. Inside, the player can purchase sexual favors in dialogue which "leave very little to the imagination."
- Final Fantasy X-2: comes damn near this trope; there's a minigame about halfway through where Yuna disguises herself as an enemy goon, goes to her arch-rival's mansion, and winds up unwittingly drafted into a massage minigame. Said rival tends to let out an orgasmic "AH! THERE!" when you hit a sweet spot;" there's also some snarky innuendo before and after from her two chief goons.
- At least two different mods add such minigames to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. One is actually pretty decent, if you can find the translation patch and get past the Nintendo Hard-ness of it.
- The Neverwinter Nights mod A Dance with Rogues took the easy route and used the dialogue system to create some.
- There are a few dating sim games on Newgrounds that have this, usually in the form of 'alternate pressing up and down' or just plain Button Mashing.
- As mentioned, The Sims does not support this out of the box, but people have changed that with Game Mods.
- Plenty of that in 7 Sins, where sex is definitely not optional. During the scenes (where both parties leave their undergarments on), the player has to finish one or several Mini Games with the sex as the backdrop. Successful completion of the minigame results in the character's increased affection for you, while a failure is not seen favorably. The sounds made by the player's partner during the minigame reflect how close he is to completion.
- Custer's Revenge; the first rape simulation game? Or H-Game?
- Custer's Revenge is a special kind of failure; not only did it involve rape, everything was incredibly pixelated and blocky due to the limitations of technology at that time.
Wide Open Sandbox
- Centurion: Defender of Rome had an example, if you managed to negotiate a peaceful alliance with Egypt. Cut to a night encounter with Cleopatra, where you have to negotiate a different kind of alliance...