"Hey, what's this? Only the
women get naked?! That's bullshit!"
A form of soft-core "figleaf" male censorship, where men are shown wearing pants or underwear, in situations when they normally would be nude
most often is aimed at the straight male Demographic
The assumption is that most heterosexual guys prefer seeing female flesh to seeing other naked guys. Therefore, because Most Writers Are Male
, men in sex scenes will be far more covered than women, even during intercourse. The woman may be completely naked (or at least not wearing anything visible; a skintone patch or a cover between legs can be completely hidden from the camera in a way that a penis can't), but the guy will still have his shirt on — or sometimes only his fly is down. It doesn't matter that with his fly down and his belt off the guy's pants would fall down. It also ignores how painful sex with a metal zipper rubbing up against the genitals could be. All that matters is seeing that sweet, sweet fanservice with the least amount of squick
. Selective Squick
This is most obviously shown by the trope where, even after sex — or sometimes even during
sex, when it's interrupted — men will be shown wearing boxer shorts
; apparently the message is that women also don't want to see a man's naked "area" — even while having sex with them. It's also done for practical reasons. Genitalia in general are too hard-core for anything less than X-rated sex scenes (but are fine for PG-13 otherwise), and it's simply impossible to avoid seeing men's genitals while showing their "area"; meanwhile women typically wear loose lingerie to avoid showing even pubic hair.
For an analysis of why creators may choose to use this trope, take a look at the Analysis
page. (Tab above)
Can be a case of Truth in Television
. Couples engaged in public sex may wear as much clothing as possible for varying reasons. Compare Wall Bang Her
, which usually carries the implication that He and She were both
just too horny to bother taking their clothes off. See also Sex Dressed
, when a couple's disheveled clothing makes it obvious that they've been doing the deed.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Taken to silly heights in certain Japanese hentai, where males sometimes don't bother taking off their pants, or even unbuttoning them! Remember those pajama flaps you had as a child, for "easy access" to the toilet? This is a much smaller target. While this is likely to be a choice to reduce the mosaic area Censor Steam, it makes for a very awkward scene when released in other countries.
- The sex scenes in Tsukihime are much like this, as Shiki is only completely naked in one such scene (more often shirtless, or simply "unzipped"). Strangely, it's also very briefly inverted; somehow, Kohaku manages sex while wearing a full-length kimono...the first time, at least, though this might be because she has far more experience than she wants or needs. This trope is in full effect afterwards.
- Averted, on the other hand, in Fate/stay night, complete with lampshading ("What kind of man expects just the woman to take off her clothes?!")
- This is parodied in the Web Comic Ghastlys Ghastly Comic with the character Hentai Guy, a porn star from Japan whose claim to fame is having an invisible penis.
- Incidentally, at least one show has found a way around this—it stars an Invisible Streaker!
- In Dead Leaves, the "heroes" manage to have sex through full body straight-jackets that only have one opening... for defecation. While it's clearly hinted in dialog where the point of insertion must be, neither suit appears to have an opening in the front.
- Even followed with Yaoi Guys where the Uke often ends up completely naked whilst the Seme usually keeps his clothes on.
- Sebastian Michaelis of Black Butler seems to only take his clothes off in Fan Fiction. When the manga has him screwing information out of Beast, who barely wears anything anyway, he simply takes off his coat. (And, at some point in the process, his gloves—Ciel comments the next day on the unusual phenomenon of being able to see Sebastian's (black) fingernails.)
- In the anime, he doesn't even bother with that much, with a completely nude nun. Even in the infamous corset scene he is fully clothed.
- Klaus of Hyakujitsu No Bara never takes off his pants. Being a Boys Love series it's obviously it's not a squick issue, and probably is intended to be kinky in a power-dynamics kind of way, as Taki is always completely naked.
- Ayace of Corsair only seems to lose the pants on special occasions.
- Yuuichi manages to keep his pants mostly on while having sex on a chair in The Secret Agreement. Couldn't have been comfortable.
- In Berserk, when Griffith/Femto rapes Casca he appears to do this through his armor. However, since he is a demon it is likely that the "armor" is actually his skin, and he is completely naked, but then that raises the question of why no genitals are visible on him even when he is clearly facing the reader. Considering the level of shape-shifting power apostles seem to have, a retractable penis isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination, but most Apostles seem to love flaunting their Body Horror and inhuman sexuality as much as possible and wouldn't bother to "retract" even if they could. This example notwithstanding, the series as a whole averts this trope. Penises are frequently shown during sex or rape scenes (which there are an awful lot of), whether they belong to humans, trolls or demon possessed horses (seriously).
- Pick any depiction of Jesus on the cross. Chances are that he'll be shown wearing a ragged loincloth. In reality, Roman crucifixions always involved stripping the condemned individual fully, as part of the over-the-top humiliation of the person the practice entailed. The only thing Jesus ought to be portrayed wearing is the crown of thorns.
- Not only Jesus, but in any depiction of Roman crucifixion victims: Saint Peter, Saint Andrew, etc.
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier. During the obligatory sex scene, Mina Murray pulls her bra and skirt up and pulls her knickers round her knees, exposing her bosom and buttocks. Allan Quatermain in contrast keeps his trousers on, and only opens his shirt slightly. A subversion follows the sex scene, when Quatermains penis is fully visible, hanging out of his pants, post-coitus.
- Inverted in this scene◊ from Stormwatch — Hellstrike's Goofy Print Underwear is around his ankles, while Fahrenheit's panties are clearly still on.
- A non-sexual example in Green Lantern - Kyle Rayner is having something of a Battle in the Center of the Mind and is nude save for his underwear. Though the man he's fighting (Nero) is actually fully clothed.
- In The Mask Returns, Kathy attempts to trick the current wearer to take the mask off by acting like a prostitute. As the act draws near, the clothes come off, and she inquires if he's not "going to take that off" (referring to the mask). He looks bewildered as though he can't possibly have forgotten something - however, save for the mask, he is also still wearing a pair of boxer shorts.
- Female variant: Issue 30 of All-New X-Men doesn't explicitly say what happened between X-23 and the time-displaced teenaged Angel, however the issue opens on Laura waking up in one of the Worthington Family's private retreats with the room in disarray and and clothing scattered across the floor. However Laura is still wearing her underwear, so if they did, either she got at least partially dressed again, or she left them on during the act.
- The absolute pinnacle of this trope can be seen in the 1981 movie Excalibur, where Uther Pendragon has a sex scene in full plate armor. At least he removes the codpiece...
- Another extreme example can be seen in the French Canadian made-for-TV movie L'enfant D'eau (1995) in which, probably because the man was portrayed as mentally incapacitated and the girl as severely underage, both were fully clothed (except for his not having a shirt) for a "sexual encounter" which viewers and critics were given every reason to believe actually consisted of nothing more than her grinding herself on him a little bit.
- Poked fun at in the first American Pie movie, where the main character was watching porn and was trying to avoid looking at the male porn star while focusing on the woman.
- In a segment in The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat, Fritz is shown in a rocket ship having sex with a female reporter... and both are wearing space suits. This is just plain puzzling as there were already two other sex scenes with explicit cartoon nudity... to say nothing of the first film. Given Fritz's character, it was really more of a fetish or a "Hey, this situation doesn't happen very often, let's try this!"
- The movie Sea Of Love is a good example - Ellen Barkin is completely naked, Al Pacino never seems to remove an item of clothing more substantial than his tie.
- Enemy at the Gates has an extremely awkward sex scene where the only flesh shown is a brief shot of the woman's butt as she pulls her pants down. All other clothing stays on. This one is a justified, since they were in the midst of an army camp in Russia and were trying not to attract any attention, and it was cold.
- Inverted in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, where there is more male nudity than female, and the full-frontal male nudity starts in the first 10 minutes of the movie.
- Inverted in 28 Days Later, in which we are treated to plenty of naked Cillian Murphy but the lead female keeps her bra on the whole time, and, in fact, requests that the soldiers leave the room so she can change her clothes in private (there was an ulterior motive for this).
- Used to imply a drug-fueled threesome complete with a 69 position in the 2009 Land of the Lost.
- In Taking Lives, there's a sex scene between Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke. Jolie wears only an open robe; Hawke keeps his suit on.
- Not a sex scene, but in Rankin-Bass's The Return of the King and the Peter Jackson version, Sam finds Frodo in the tower with his pants still on, while the book specifies he's naked.
- Used in the live-action film, as well.
- Averted for laughs in a scene added to the Extended Edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in which the Dwarves bathe completely nude in one of Rivendell's fountains, much to the consternation of Elrond and his courtiers.
- Two of the very few images not taken frame-for-frame in the movie adaptation of Frank Miller's Sin City: Bruce Willis as Hartigan is not stripped entirely naked as he's hung at the mercy of That Yellow Bastard, and That Yellow Bastard himself also keeps his Y-Fronts on in the scene where he's working on Nancy. Having said this, Nancy the stripper's breasts are kept conspicuously covered in the film as opposed to the original source material.
- The comic of The Big Fat Kill briefly features Dwight nude in the opening scene in Shelley's apartment. This is absent in the movie.
- Seen in a deleted scene from Repo! The Genetic Opera, in which Amber Sweet convinces Graverobber to sleep with her to get out of paying for her Zydrate. Both remain fully clothed for the entire scene— the only item of clothing removed is Graverobber's big coat.
- Black Scorpion (The Roger Corman "superhero" movie) features a scene were the heroine knocks a man in a business suit onto the bed. She takes off her costume (except for her mask and gloves) and the two have sex, while the man is still fully dressed. In the morning she is gone, and he wakes up in tighty whiteys.
- Bollywood rapists have a tendency to rape women by jumping on top of them, wrestling for a bit and then getting up and running off...while both the rapist and victim are fully clothed. Which for some reason often includes a cowboy hat.
- The Other Boleyn Girl inverts this, in that the only person to show any skin is Eric Bana. But it plays it somewhat straight during a rape - both characters keep most of their clothes on.
- In the Realm of the Senses inverts this, with the female protagonist fully clothed while her male partner is totally naked.
- A couple at the beginning of Anthropophagous 2000 have sex with their shorts on.
- There's a completely clothed sex scene in Thanks Killing.
- The very softcore porn film Getting Into Heaven features men having sex with Uschi Digard while wearing underwear.
- Averted in I Am Curious(Yellow), where the objective is to show people as realistic and non-glamorous. Borje is completely naked when the situation requires it.
- Averted in film Eurotrip, after Michelle Trachtenberg's character nearly removes her bikini on the nude beach, her brother accidentally draws the attention of every guy on the beach (which is filled entirely with guys, btw). Cue a couple of hundred naked guys, wangs hanging low, chasing the main characters down the beach shouting "Girl!" repeatedly. As one of the main characters said, "I've never seen so much sausage. It's like the International House of Sausage."
- Taken to a ridiculous level in the French film Une histoire d'amour (also released under the title Tied) in which a bottomless Laetitia Casta has sex with a guy who barely bothers to undo his fly, to the extent where in real life he'd likely have suffered zipper burn.
- Averted in X-Men: Days of Future Past, by Hugh Jackman's request. However, only his back was visible.
"I land back in 1973—this is what the script says—I wake up next to a girl who I don't remember, and I get out of bed wearing boxer shorts. I was like, 'I don't know about America, but in Australia if you're next to a really good-looking girl, you're not getting out with boxer shorts on or briefs or anything.' So yeah, I went commando."
- A monstrous bandit in the fourth volume of A Song of Ice and Fire rapes a woman right through his armor on a raid, and the results are indicated to be not pretty at all.
- In Maurice Druon's The Accursed Kings novels, the bandit-knights who Rape, Pillage, and Burn during France's 14th century troubles are said to rape women "whose skin remained scarred by their chainmail". It's meant to underline their brutality.
- In Bruce Sterling and William Gibson's The Difference Engine, spy and adventurer Mick Radley and Hooker with a Heart of Gold Sybil are described in detail as clothed in bed after sex (she has pantalettes and a shirt, he has a fine nightshirt, while having no logical reason for it).
- Later on, when Ned Mallory and Hetty (Sybil's former roommate, incidentally) have a bed session, Mallory actually has to pay extra to see Hetty fully naked. Probably meant to show how the stricter Victorian mores affected people's kinks.
- In a scene in the book Creation by Gore Vidal, one character, a Persian, has it explained to him that while his people have sex wearing their clothes (exposing only their genitals enough to fit them together), Babylonians strip naked, and in order to participate in a particular Babylonian sex-ritual he will have to strip. It matters because the character is wearing a disguise.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
- In the episode "Annihilated", Elliot removes his jacket and shirt before climbing into bed with Kathy, but not his pants.
- In a later episode Elliot is seen stripping to a pair of form-fitting bikini briefs before climbing into bed with pajama-clad Kathy.
- One of the male characters in Coupling bemoans the risk of the "potentially-dangerous eye slippage" that can happen whilst watching porn and (shall we say) throw one off one's stride.
- A pretty ridiculous example of this can be found in the CSI episode "Fur and Loathing"; a fursuiter's semen is found on the costume of a fellow fursuiter, which he deposited on there during a "furpile" at a convention. While this isn't that unusual (fursuit fetishists are out there, so this scenario is a bit more likely than one might think), what does make it unusual is that the fursuiter in question had his costume lined with latex (and with no opening to do the nasty with, as most fur suit fetishists have in their suit), so this is a literal case of Right Through His Pants.
- In Weeds, Nancy's panties and bra stay put when having sex with the Hispanic drug dealer in season one and later when Nancy has sex with Conrad.
- This popped up a few times in Sex and the City when the actress in the scene refused to get undressed for the camera.
- Grace on Saving Grace leaves her panties on even when they guy pulls down his underpants (if the guy was even wearing any). (Except the Season 1 finale where she's handcuffed to the bed naked all night, with full rear view.)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- Inverted in season 6, with Buffy nearly or fully clothed (or invisible) while Spike is given, in his words, "a sock".
- Done to especially weird effect in their exhibitionist scene on the top level of the Bronze, where both are not only nearly fully clothed, but standing on their own two feet, in a way that (given the height difference between them) would make sex pretty difficult. As TV Without Pity put it, "And then they got it on in some kind of anatomically impossible way. Is Spike walking around the Bronze with his pants around his ankles, or what?" Many viewers assumed he was doing stuff with his hands, though this is apparently not the intention.
- Occurs twice in an episode of Angel. Spike has been recorporealized and immediately runs off for a nooner with Harmony. Right through his pants. Later, a flashback shows that Angel and Spike had a complicated relationship as vampires. The real deal breaker was when Angelus screwed Drusilla. Right through his pants.
- This isn't always reserved for the guys. In the old Soul Food series, the women always kept on their undergarments while the men were nude, apparently thrusting right through the panties.
- Used on guys AND girls in the The Secret Life of the American Teenager. The Modesty Bedsheet is frequently discarded to reveal that the characters who just had sex are mostly clothed (which makes one wonder why they bother with the sheet in the first place). The guys will be shirtless and in pants or boxers (and on a few occasions, JEANS) and the girls will be in their bras and panties or short shorts.
- The Torchwood episode "Day One". Right through his pants and her skirt, then he turns into a pile of dust.
- Inverted in the Lifetime Miniseries Maneater when Clarissa doesn't want to take off her wedding dress, so her new husband decides that they'll just work around it.
- In Rescue Me, every single sex scene so far plays this trope straight.
- A glaring example appears in Gossip Girl, which is otherwise quite sex-filled for its genre. Chuck Bass, of all people, is shown waking up after a one night stand wearing pajamas. As in he brought the girl home, got undressed, skipped into his jammies and then slept with her. The reason for this is probably that the actor is way too tattoo-happy while the character isn't the type to get tattooed (Chuck is the only male main character who hasn't appeared topless).
- In season four, one episode shows Chuck and Blair panting heavily after just finishing having sex... and they are both fully clothed sitting next to each other in his limo.
- In the Blake's 7 episode "The City at the Edge of the World", Vila and a female mercenary named Kerril get trapped on a spaceship that (they think) is running out of air. As the two come to terms with their fate they embrace. When we see them next they are fully clothed and lying a foot apart◊ despite the dialogue making it very clear that they just had sex.
- The Veronica Mars episode "Kanes and Abel's" has an Imagine Spot like this — Veronica is imagining Jake Kane murdering Lilly after catching her in flagrante with Weevil, and when he pulls the two of them apart they're both wearing pants. Of course, this is justified by the fact that it is an Imagine Spot, and Veronica probably doesn't naturally imagine her friends naked...
- At first it seemed like Game of Thrones was going to play this straight in the first episode, but the second episode actually gives us an inversion: Daenerys doesn't remove her dress the first time she makes love to Khal Drogo while facing him, while he is completely nude. Theon Greyjoy and even Hodor also get to show off their, uh, manliness.
- Particularly egregious during the Dothraki wedding in the first episode, however: the two men who get into a fight over a woman both appear to be having sex with her by getting behind her, flipping up her loincloth, and then thrusting with their pants completely on. It's apparent that they are meant to be penetrating her, but it's kind of ridiculous given that you can plainly tell they haven't even pretended to take their dicks out. A very literal Right Through His Pants. The showrunners also mention that they weren't sure if the wedding scene was violating any public decency laws in Malta, where it was filmed, meaning that it might count as an Enforced Trope.
- Given a tongue-in-cheek reference on the DVD commentary by the showrunners. The sex between Jaime and Cersei was nude in the books, but the two wear clothes in the series. This was probably done out of consideration for the child actor who plays Bran.
- Stannis and Melisandre display this in full during their war tabletop session. Melisandre is completely undressed while Stannis never so much as pulls his pants down.
- Seen on How I Met Your Mother: Marshall and Lily are attempting to conceive a baby, and Marshall is disturbed by an earlier conversation with Robin, to the point where he breaks it off and jumps out of bed, revealing he's wearing boxer shorts. In fairness, Lily is wearing pretty covering lingerie, so it's possible he's actually more naked than she is.
- Happens quite a bit in The Tudors, which is especially ridiculous given the Gorgeous Period Dress most of the characters wear.
- Averted in a season 1 episode of Haven; when Duke rolls out of bed the morning after hooking up with a woman who turns out to be the Monster of the Week, he's clearly naked.
- Featured in the video for Studio Killers' Ode to the Bouncer. While lead singer Cherry points out that she's not wearing knickers, the bouncer clearly keeps his trousers on.
- In Trapped In The Closet, Sylvester is fully clothed while making love with his woman in Chapter 5.
- British tabloid agony aunt columns with attendant "story" comic-things have a tendency to invoke this trope to a ridiculous extent; even those which elsewhere feature topless pin-ups will have men in boxers and women in full lingerie during what are allegedly sex scenes, even when these are supposed to be characters in the strip fantasising about sex. Precisely how anyone is supposed to take a storyline about an affair consisting of dry-humping seriously is not particularly clear.
- The website/DVD series Amateur Allure has this as its trademark. The women are, obviously, naked, but the men involved usually remain fully clothed, with their pants up.
Stand Up Comedy
- In the musical of Spring Awakening, Wendla is disrobed down to her shift, while Melchior apparently only has to push down his pants to get it on, giving the audience a very nice view of his fine, masculine and time for intermission!
- The Light in the Piazza has an almost-identical scene to the one listed above.
- Equus notices this trope stranded on the highway, and gives it the finger as it blows right by it. In the final act, Alan Strang and his female love interest strip completely naked on stage, lie on top of each other, and (in the most recent production with Strang being played by Harry Potter's Daniel Radcliffe) even make a few half-thrusts before stopping for plot reasons. The majority of the rest of the scene is then performed in the nude.
- The same goes for David Grimm's Kit Marlowe, in which the title character makes his grand entrance by swinging onto the stage on a rope without a stitch of clothing on. He proceeds to spend the entire first scene in the nude.
- Taken to the extreme in The Sims - the Sims not only emerge from having sex still wearing underwear, but they also use the toilet through their pants.
- In the first game, they were naked when they got out of the "love bed". Considering that the original was a lot more G-rated overall — Sim-sex was entirely optional (and only even possible in a specific bed, or changing booths,) and babies spawned out of nowhere after the couple did a lot of romantic interactions (in other words, babies came from kissing), whereas the sequel has pregnancy and Sims that actively desire "WooHoo", including a whole aspiration for that — the change is puzzling.
- While obviously not possible to do in-game, a book in The Elder Scrolls tells of a great warrior who did it through heavy armor. This would be a real master-skill perk, but is trumped by it being implied that he was better at it in heavy armor than out.
- Both played straight and inverted in Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes From Liberty City. Luis has sex several times onscreen, but he's always fully clothed. However, the only full frontal nudity in the game is male.
- The infamous "hot coffee" mini-games in GTA: San Andreas has Carl keeping his pants on while the women he beds are usually nude.
- Averted and inverted in Grand Theft Auto V at least twice, in that the male characters having sex have their pants down, but the female characters appear fully clothed.
- There is a glitch for the sex scene with Morrigan in Dragon Age: Origins that results in your character doing it fully-armored.
- Dragon Age is an example even without a glitch; the characters don't take their underwear off during those scenes. In Morrigan's case at least, they actually put underwear on.
- In the City Elf origin story, Vaughn and his compatriots are all but outright said to have raped Shianni after abducting her, but when the player busts in to kick ass and save the girl, they're all fully clothed. It is, admittedly, possible that they'd gotten finished and Vaughn and his cronies had managed to get their clothes back on and Shianni found and pulled hers on too.
- Also shows up in Dragon Age II, though they cut away from the sex scenes before any clothing comes off, so it is slightly more justified.
- Neverwinter Nights wasn't actually programmed to include sex scenes but the fandom came up with the Romantic Animations Suite to avert this trope, rendering naughty bits in all their horrifying glory.
- Metal Gear Solid 3 ends with EVA and Snake spending a passionate night together. When Snake wakes up the next morning, his shirt is gone but he's still wearing trousers.
- A scene in Xenogears shows Ramsus and Miang sharing a bed. Miang is apparently naked (or at the very least topless), but when Ramsus gets out of bed, he's wearing black briefs. This is quite noticeable because most of the time the game has no issues with showing male characters nude.
- The FMV horror game Phantasmagoria has a rape scene, but both characters are clothed, so the scene looks more like violent dry humping, really.
- In Catherine, whenever Vincent wakes up next to a naked Catherine, his boxers are still on.
- Katawa Shoujo: Played straight in Hanako's route, in which Hisao doesn't even take off his pants for the only sex scene while Hanako gets completely naked, but averted in all other scenes as he gets just as nude as the girl. As a possible explanation, that scene was supposed to be very awkward. Interestingly, said scene is also pretty much the only time in the game his genitalia is visible. (Apparently, the artists were squeamish of drawing it.)
- Hanako actually gets just as naked as Hisao. They both keep their underwear on with Hisao opening his fly and part of Hanako's panties being brushed aside to reveal her genitals.
- In Shizune's route, the first sex scene involves this with both parties; Hisao's pants are unzipped while Shizune is still wearing her dress while they have sex. Justified in Hisao's case(to Hisao's relief, as he isn't quite ready for her to look at the scar on his chest) because Hisao is sitting in a chair with his hands tied behind his back, and Shizune would literally have to rip off his shirt.
- Also possibly inverted in Emi's route. You wouldn't think you would have to take your shirt off to engage in anal sex, but Hisao (and Emi) do anyway.
- Mass Effect 3 has this. The end of the game has a love scene, and a post-love scene, and in them, the male characters are all wearing black boxers and the females are wearing black lingerie. Only Liara is ever seen to be nude. Garrus Vakarian never even shows that much, um, scale; he's fully clothed in both scenes, though the post scene has him at the table reading rather than in bed, at least. Likewise, Tali never actually shows anything, though when Shepard wakes up she literally just finished putting her environmental suit back on. This has led to speculation that underwear is a human invention.
- In Citadel DLC, Shepard wakes up in bed with his/her significant other after the party. Both of them are fully clothed even though most cases imply that they did the deed before falling to sleep (and yes, Garrus is in full armour). Tali lampshades.
- There's also the Renegade sex scene with Jack in the second game. If you choose it, she and Shepard have some rather violent foreplay which ends when she pins him down on a table, mounts him, and then throws her head back as if in the throes of passion. Trouble is, neither party has even begun to take anything off yet. The Paragon conclusion to her romance uses sex-scene shots with an equal degree of failing to take anything off, although since Good People Have Good Sex it's a lot less aggressive.
- Averted in the first game, which brought down the Moral Guardians (although even Jack Thompson called the criticism silly), which probably led to it's use in the later entries and the Dragon Age games.
- Neither male nor female characters in the execrable Ride to Hell: Retribution take off their clothes for the extremely awkward sex scenes.
- At the end F.E.A.R. 2 we get a rape scene between a naked Alma and a fully clothed and armored Becket. Given the Mind Screw nature of the act, perhaps we should not find it weird for this specific case, but you never know.
- In  SIE finds the player character strapped to a hospital bed and Decides she just can't pass the opportunity up to show him her feelings Her underwear never comes off and neither do his pants. And yet...
- Scott R. Kurtz drops a passing lampshade on this trope in the final lines of the PvP episode "Another Nail in the Coffin".
- Averted in Questionable Content, when Angus and Faye have sex. He goes out of the room only wearing a hot pink condom.
- Also averted when Sven has sex with a random singer chick. His hands are the only thing covering her breasts, and it's only the angle that keeps us from seeing all of him.
- Futurama: Fry still managed to impregnate his own grandmother despite wearing tighty-whities.
- Bit of an inversion really, because not only was Fry's grandmother covered up more so than Fry, she was wearing different lingerie than what she had when she jumped on him.
- There's an animated version of The Canterbury Tales which features a knight who not only manages to rape a woman while wearing full armor, from the way it's presented he apparently manages to dismount his horse, leap, and penetrate in one smooth move.
Truth In Television
- Most pants and boxers have frontal openings at the right height, and which open easily enough. They're made for peeing but come in handy if you're in a hurry... Male bikini briefs are also quite convenient in this regard.
- As heavily implied in several examples on this page, this is best performed with button-fly pants. Nothing kills the mood like zipper abrasion.
- The chemise cagoule, a nightshirt with a fly worn in order to have sex without seeing the partner naked.