Film / ThanksKilling
This is one turkey you will not be giving thanks for!
(also known as Death Turkey
) is a comedy-slasher film released in 2009.
In 1621, after being slighted by pilgrim Chuck Langston, skilled shaman Feathercloud used powerful necromancy to resurrect a turkey as a monster, which proceeded to massacre the pilgrims on the first Thanksgiving Day
, before entering a state of hibernation.
Five-hundred and five years later, college student Kristen Roud and her friends - Johnny, Ali, Darren and Billy (who is descended from Langston) - are heading to their respective homes for Thanksgiving break, just as the evil turkey wakes up, killing a dog who found him in the process. Pursued by the dog's revenge obsessed owner, Oscar, the turkey embarks on a killing spree, intent on wiping out Kristen, her friends, and everyone else he comes across.
This film was the first film featured in Achievement Hunter
's Theater Mode
This film provides examples of the following tropes:
- Aerosol Flamethrower: Kristen uses one to set the turkey on fire.
- All Women Are Prudes: Ali is a self-proclaimed one, but she is an idiot, and the others are quick to point out she is, in fact, a slut.
- Amicably Divorced: Sheriff Roud seems pretty unfazed by his wife's request for a divorce:
Sheriff Roud: "Goddamn Sheryl! That coffee tastes like shit! What you do, take a dump in it?"
Sheryl: "As a matter of fact, I sure did. I want a fuckin' divorce!"
Sheriff Roud: "... Awright then."
- An Axe to Grind: The turkey kills Oscar's dog, and the pilgrim in the opening (plus another in a flashback) with one.
- Anything That Moves: A motorist stops for the turkey due to wanting to have sex with it.
- Aside Glance: By the turkey, repeatedly.
- Batter Up: Kristen uses one against the turkey.
- Big Damn Heroes: Oscar showing up to blast the turkey as it flees its teepee. It gets better, though.
- Bittersweet Ending: At least Johnny's dad died thinking his son was a football star again.
- Black Comedy Rape: Right after killing her boyfriend while he was having sex with her, the Turkey proceeds to replace him and have sex with her before killing her. Don't ask.
"You just got stuffed!"
- Blah Blah Blah: The turkey's response to the group reading the demonic saying meant to rob him of his powers, until it actually starts affecting him.
- Blood from the Mouth: Johnny's death (he was stabbed with an electric carving knife, but it never really focuses on the wound itself).
- Boom, Headshot: The turkey blows a guy's head off with a shotgun, and later sustains a gunshot wound to the face courtesy of Oscar.
- Contrived Coincidence: Sheriff Roud having one of the books about the killer turkey legend lying around.
- Crazy-Prepared: Johnny sees himself as this, just because he happened to have some rope and a lighter on hand.
- Daylight Horror: The beginning, and when the turkey is hitchhiking.
- Death by Sex: The guy who wanted to have sex with the turkey, and Greg and Ali.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Johnny reminiscing about his father playing football with him, plus the turkey's origin flashback.
- Dramatic Unmask: The turkey taking off Sheriff Rouds's severed face is treated this way.
- Eye Scream: Johnny's mother's body is missing the eyes.
- Fanservice: The film opens with a topless female pilgrim being chased through the forest.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: Done several times, most prominently with Billy's spilt innards.
- Hammer Space: Where does the turkey keep those weapons?
- The Hedonist: Chuck Langston is heavily implied to have been one.
- Kick the Dog: The turkey hacks Oscar's dog to bits, rips open a baby bunny and throws it into a fire, and forces a guy to call his daughter before killing him. Goddamn.
- Kill 'em All: Almost all the main and supporting characters end up dead by the end of the film.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: The motorist who picks up the turkey.
- Kill It with Fire: Apparently the best method of disposing of the turkey.
- Loud Gulp: Done by Oscar's dog after it stumbles across the turkey.
- Loud of War: When Kristen screams when she first encounters the turkey, it evidently causes him some distress.
- My Car Hates Me: The jeep briefly breaks down, forcing the main characters to camp out for the night.
- Name's the Same: In-universe, we have group member Billy, and Johnny's father Bill.
- Nice Hat: One of the family members in the ending is wearing a rather fabulous turkey-shaped hat.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Turkeys and radioactive waste apparently mix rather well. Thanks for showing us, Oscar.
- No Name Given: The filmmakers toyed with the idea of giving the turkey a name, but were unable to decide on one, and ended up just settling for "the Killer Turkey". Some sources call it "Turkie".
- Noodle Incident: Whatever it was Langston did to offend Feathercloud.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The turkey tricks Sheriff Roud with Groucho Marx glasses, and a few minutes later tricks everyone else by wearing the sheriff's face and hat.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Johnny coming across his mother's strung up body.
- Police Are Useless: There's only one cop in the film, and he's a dumbass.
- Power Source: The turkey's talisman. Taking it, and chanting a demonic saying backwards, will remove his invulnerability.
- Tongue Trauma: The turkey rips out Darren's tongue.
- Too Dumb to Live: Everyone in the entire film. Forget the Fridge Logic of the characters not being freaked out by the fact that the turkey talks, the kids can't even tell the difference when the turkey is masquerading as the Sherrif—and one of the kids happens to be the Sheriff's daughter.
- Totally Radical: When Darren is describing what he wants to do during the break.
- The Undead: The turkey was created through necromancy, so he presumably counts.
- Undercrank: Used when the gang meet up outside the school.
- Writers Cannot Do Math: The turkey was created circa 1621, and awakens every five-hundred and five years. That would mean the main events of the film take place somewhere around 2126. It's implied that the dog peeing on the totem pole woke it prematurely.
- Your Cheating Heart: Ali has a boyfriend, but that doesn't stop her from continually making it clear she wants to get it on with Johnny.
- Your Mom:
Darren: "So guys, I was thinking, y'know, since it's Thanksgiving and all, that we should go around and say what we're thankful for."
Billy: "I'm thankful that your mom has the juiciest poon in town."