Behind every powerful man (or woman, occasionally), there is a secretary, assistant, or aide to keep his schedule and organize the paperwork. This character is usually calm and meticulous, is likely to wear a crisply pressed suit
, and may add a pair of dashing glasses
. In other words, they're a perfect
excuse to throw in a little Fanservice
. Because Most Writers Are Male
, this tends to take the form of the Sexy Secretary
, but sometimes (especially in works that lean towards a female audience), it'll be an attractive guy
: the Right-Hand Hottie.
If the boss is also a hot guy, there's opportunity for Ho Yay
via Subordinate Excuse
, for additional Mr. Fanservice
to the Sexy Secretary
. If they are more than fanservice they function as The Face
open/close all folders
- Johann on the Gevalia Coffee commercials
- Joe Namath was an "Olivetti Boy".
Anime and Manga
- Descendants of Darkness: Grouchy old man Chief Konoe has hot secretary Seiichiro Tatsumi (seen above).
- Tatsumi actually replaced Konoe in the main cast. In his original appearance, he was a featureless megane-type labelled 'secretary.' Then he got a little development, was young and gorgeous, and started getting all the scolding-boss scenes, with increasing levels of terrifying. Once it was established he completely controlled all the money and had history with Tsuzuki, Konoe was pretty much entirely relegated to background and being that guy who's actually aware of the Ancient Conspiracy. Whatever it was.
- With the result that the audience will probably never know what Sagdanasu was talking about way back in The Devil's Trill when he listed all the secrets he'd dug out of Tsuzuki's mind and said, "I even know about you, Konoe!"
- 100% Perfect Girl: Prince Jarte (himself no slouch in the looks department) has two: His secretary and head of intelligence Benjamin, who is very pretty, has little glasses and butt-length hair, and Kairen, the head of the secret service, who is pretty and pouts a lot.
- Sai, secretary to the Millenium Prime Minister, complete with long pretty hair and a massive case of unrequited love.
- More yaoi than you can shake a large, suggestively-shaped stick at, as it's a standard plot.
- Kyoya from Ouran Highschool Host Club, who practically runs the whole club behind Tamaki. And why yes there are hints of a homoerotic undercurrent.
- In Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, we have this in G, Giotto (Vongola Primo)'s glasses-wearing right hand man. In the anime, there is even a episode where G demonstrates this. Gokudera seems to have turned into this in the future.
- Rei Hino's father had one in the Sailor Moon manga, a Megane young man named Kaidou. He's a Big Brother Mentor to Rei, though she harbors a crush on him for a while.
- Frieza from Dragon Ball Z had his general/assistant Zarbon, a fighting narcissist whose good looks managed to make Bulma fall in love with him the second she laid eyes on him. She lost interest quickly after he transformed...
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Isolationist!Japan has the Moe Anthropomorphism of the Osaka Prefecture handling his meetings with the only mantion he meets up with, Netherlands.
- Kanon◊ from Code Geass, with emphasis on the Ho Yay. He claims to aid his boss Schneizel "in both public and private," and this official artwork◊ (possibly NSFW) suggests that the creators were quite aware of the innuendo. He's not particularly hypercompetent, though—Schniezel can manage well enough on his own.
- Rurouni Kenshin gives us Makoto Shishio's girlfriend and caretaker Yumi Komagata.
Live Action TV
- Mad Men Season 3: Lane Pryce's
secretary right hand, John Hooker, is one of these even within the universe: as office manager at Sterling Cooper upon its takeover by Putnam, Powell, and Lowe, he replaces Joan...and is thus in charge of the secretarial pool. The secretaries (besides Joan, who hates him for personal reasons and disdains him for professional ones and Peggy, who doesn't think too much of him) all swoon over his good looks and sexy British accent.
- In Friends, Rachel hires a totally unqualified guy for her assistant solely on the basis that he was cute.
- In the How I Met Your Mother episode "Mosbius Designs", Ted hires an attractive intern to help him with his architectural firm in the apartment (mostly consisted of Ted's errands and random tasks for Ted to feel like his project is actually going somewhere.) Robin starts sleeping with him because he's both good looking and is turned on by the control of him keeping the bathroom key to the apartment from her.
- On Heroes, the Haitian was right-hand hottie to Noah Bennet. Played by former Hugo Boss model Jimmy Jean-Louis, no less.
- Torchwood's Ianto Jones. Although his boss/boyfriend is a greater source of Fanservice than he is, recurring character Captain John Hart refers to Ianto as "Eye Candy", apparently in the belief that that's why he's kept around.
- In the first episode, Jack introduces Ianto as the guy a) who handles clean-up, b) gets the team from place to place, and c) "looks good in a suit." So yeah, John wasn't too far off.
- On Doctor Who, Harriet Jones (Prime Minister) and Torchwood One leader Yvonne Hartman both had attractive right-hand men.
- Billy Keikeya, Gaius Baltar and (to an extant in Seasons 1-3 and fully in Season 4) Lee "Apollo" Adama fill this role for Education Secretary/President Laura Roslin on the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica.
- Maya on Just Shoot Me! did this as an experiment for an article, pitting a handsome doof against someone who was qualified but plain-looking. Guess who won.
- Merlin's Ensemble Darkhorse Sir Leon is Arthur's second-in-command. Having appeared throughout season 2 simply as a random knight, he was upgraded in season 3 to this trope.
- Catherine the Great was fond of those. Platon Zubov was a particularly outstanding example of the trope.
- Pope Benedict XVI's private secretary Monsignor Georg Gänswein, is famously good-looking; the press even call him "Beautiful George". The paparazzi and tabloids mention him a lot, and the Italian edition of Vanity Fair magazine featured him on its cover in January 2013 (with the headline "It's not a sin to be beautiful").