Creator: Chris Hemsworth
Chris Hemsworth (August 11, 1983-) is an Australian born actor who first became known for acting in the Australian soap opera Home and Away before becoming known in America for his Small Role, Big Impact as George Kirk in J. J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot. This led to him being cast in by far his best known role as The Mighty Thor, the Norse god of thunder, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, playing him in Thor in 2011, The Avengers in 2012, Thor: The Dark World in 2013, and Avengers: Age of Ultron in 2015.Since Thor, he has also earned good notices for his roles in The Cabin in the Woods and Snow White & the Huntsman. He most recently be seen in Red Dawn (2012), has received considerable critical acclaim for his performance in Rush, a Biopic about the rivalry between Formula One racers James Hunt and Niki Lauda , and has several other films in the pipeline including Blackhat, a technothriller directed by Michael Mann, and In the Heart of the Sea, about a group of whalers who are left stranded at sea after their ship was wrecked by a giant sperm whale, which reunites him with his Rush director Ron Howard.Not to be confused with his younger brother Liam Hemsworth.
Tropes Relating to Chris Hemsworth Include:
- Dyeing for Your Art: Like Christian Bale before him, he has often had to gain and lose a large amount of weight in quick succession due to his other project in between superhero roles. He had to lose 30 pounds of muscle in order to convincingly play James Hunt in Rush (otherwise he was too big to fit in the racecars), and then had to gain it all back again for Thor: The Dark World. He also had to go on a crash diet to play an emaciated, starving sailor for In the Heart of the Sea and re-bulked back up again to Thor-weight for Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Fake Nationality: Hemsworth adapts a British accent for Thor and James Hunt, Scottish for The Huntsman, and played Americans in Red Dawn and The Cabin in the Woods.
- He also used an American-ish accent as George Kirk in Star Trek.
- Mr. Fanservice: A number of female cast and crew from the sets of the Marvel films would find excuses to touch his arms and chest. Others didn't even bother with excuses. Even Robert Downey, Jr. has been known to talk about it frequently in interviews.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: As George Kirk in Star Trek, he bore enough a resemblance to Chris Pine, who played main character James Kirk, that according to director J. J. Abrams, some viewers mistakenly thought Pine played both characters.
- Sibling Rivalry: Both he and his brother Liam were finalists for the role of Thor, and he had actually asked Liam for pointers during his second audition (Liam had initially received a callback and Chris didn't).We both came all the way over here from Australia and ended up battling against each other.
- Star-Making Role: An odd case, and borderline inversion. Both The Cabin in the Woods and Red Dawn (2012) were clearly meant to be this for Hemsworth, but the financial troubles at MGM meant they weren't released until after he had starred in Thor, which is what ultimately did end up being Hemsworth's star-making role instead.
"This page, I like it! ANOTHER!"