Scarlett Johansson (born November 22, 1984) is an American actress of Danish and Jewish descent. She started acting at a young age, debuting in North, then later got attention for roles in The Horse Whisperer and Ghost World. She then broke through in 2003 with both Lost in Translation (which she won a BAFTA for) and the adaptation of Girl with a Pearl Earring. She has developed a close working relationship with Woody Allen, appearing in major roles in three of his films. She also won a Tony Award for her performance in the 2010 revival of A View from the Bridge. She's also Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.Scarlett also has a music career goin' on. She first gained attention from indie kids for appearing onstage during the first concert of a reunited The Jesus and Mary Chain to sing backing vocals on "Just Like Honey." She then proceeded to make an album full of Dream Pop covers of Tom Waits songs, and managed to bring David Bowie to sing on one of the songs. She also appears on the compilation album Unexpected Dreams: Songs From the Stars and on the song soundtrack for He's Just Not That Into You; she's also performed the Oscar-nominated "Before My Time" for Chasing Ice (in which she doesn't appear) and "The Moon Song" with Joaquin Phoenix for Her (in which she does appear...sort of).She has herself a Villain Song in The Jungle Book when, as a Gender Flip version of "Kaa" she does "Trust In Me." Interestingly, although her singing is over the end credits, she had the second track on the soundtrack album.Scarlett's directorial debut, unlike that of her one-time co-star Natalie Portman, was cut from the anthology film New York, I Love You; but fans of Miss Johansson (and Kevin Bacon, who stars in the short) can see it on the DVD as an extra. She was set to make her feature directing bow in 2014 with an adaptation of Truman Capote's Summer Crossing (as with the aforementioned short, she also scripted), but production was delayed (see the next paragraph for the most likely reason). She's set to direct an Ellie Goulding concert for American Express in November 2015.She was married to Ryan Reynolds between 2008 and 2011, and in November 2012, began dating French advertising executive Roman Dauriac. In September 2014, Scarlett gave birth to a daughter, Rose Dorothy, and she and Dauriac married on October 1, 2014 in Philipsburg, Montana. They divide their time between homes in New York City and Paris.She is now attached to star in a Hollywood adaptation of ''Ghost in the Shell''.
Her Films Include:
- North (1994)
- Home Alone 3 (1997)
- The Horse Whisperer (1998)
- Ghost World (2001)
- Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
- Lost in Translation (2003)
- Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)
- The Perfect Score (2004)
- The Spongebob Squarepants Movie (2004)
- The Island (2005)
- Match Point (2005)
- Scoop (2006)
- The Black Dahlia (2006)
- The Prestige (2006)
- The Nanny Diaries (2007)
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)
- The Spirit (2008)
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
- He's Just Not That Into You (2009)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2010 — present) as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow:
- We Bought a Zoo (2011)
- Hitchcock (2012)
- Don Jon (2013)
- Her (2013)
- Under the Skin (2013)
- Lucy (2014)
- Chef! (2014)
- Hail, Caesar! (2016)
- The Jungle Book (2016)
- Anywhere I Lay My Head (2008)
- Break Up (with Pete Yorn) (2009)
Provides examples of:
- Action Girl: As Black Widow, obviously, but see also Lucy.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Even the Girls Want Her: Katy Perry and Lois Griffin are among those who love her.
- Fanservice: See Lost in Translation, Iron Man 2, He's Just Not That Into You, The Spirit and The Avengers. Not to mention the Panty Shot in The Perfect Score.
- Gender Flip: The character she voices in The Jungle Book (2016) is Kaa, who was originally male in both the Rudyard Kipling book and the animated Disney movie (and was voiced by a man, Sterling Holloway, in the latter).
- Going Commando: According to her, the Spy Catsuit for The Avengers was so tight, she ended up having to do this to be comfortable.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Platonic Life Partners: With Chris Evans. She has stated in interviews that her close friendship with him contributed very much to their onscreen chemistry in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Vocal Dissonance: Has a surprisingly deep and husky voice.