Christopher Robert "Chris" Evans (born 1981) is an American actor who, until recently, was best known for a tendency to play the smart alec and pretty boy in his roles, including the desperate everyman protagonist Ryan in Cellular, Johnny Storm aka The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies, and "Harvard Hottie" in The Nanny Diaries. And if you're old enough, you probably first remember him from Not Another Teen Movie, which shows he's surprisingly really good at comedy.Though he's never shied away from more serious roles (Sunshine, Push, London, Fierce People, The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond), it was still a great surprise to the mainstream public when Marvel announced him as their choice to play the straight-laced and serious-minded Captain America in their Marvel Cinematic Universe. Of course, making such a splash on Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, he became the Marvel Cinematic Universe answer to Christopher Reeve, so much so that he felt the need to be Playing Against Type,note which he did by becoming the psychopathic hitman Mr. Freezy in The Iceman and the gritty Anti-Hero Curtis in Snowpiercer in 2013. In 2014 he made his directorial debut with the romantic-comedy film Before We Go.Not to be confused with the British DJ and TV presenter who was married to Billie Piper, or a Dorito. Between playing Captain America, Johnny Storm, Lucas Lee in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Jensen in The Losers, Casey Jones in TMNT and Curtis in Snowpiercer,note Evans has perhaps portrayed the largest amount of distinct characters in comic book film adaptations.He has said that he plans to stop acting once he finishes his Marvel contract and wishes to move on to directing.note However, he said in September 2015 (after a corporate reshuffle at Marvel) that he was open to the idea of extending his contract.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- The Losers
- Street Kings
- Battle for Terra
- Fierce People
- Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
- The Perfect Score
- Not Another Teen Movie
- What's Your Number?
- The Loss Of A Teardrop Diamond
- The Iceman
- Playing It Cool
- Before We Go (directorial debut)
He provides examples of:
- Mr. Fanservice: Especially in the MCU:
- In his first movie as Cap, his body is digitally altered to look scrawny, which makes it a great surprise when, after he's treated with the super-soldier stuff, he emerges from the pod looking like…well, like Chris Evans. Without a shirt. In fact, Peggy Carter reaching out to touch Cap's chest wasn't scripted. That was Hayley Atwell seeing her co-star shirtless for the first time and she couldn't help herself.
- And in The Avengers, where the first shot of Cap is framed to show off his butt.
- The scene where Cap stops a helicopter with his bare hands in Captain America: Civil War was added specifically to show his physique tensed and straining. When Evans showed up on set wearing a leather jacket, the Russo Brothers sent him back to wardrobe and had him put on a shirt that was several sizes too small so that his musculature would be on full display.
- One of Us: He's a huge Disney fan.
- Those Two Actors: With Scarlett Johansson.