Radio / Chris Evans
Chris Evans, born in Warrington, Lancashire, is a TV and radio presenter who currently presents the BBC Radio Two morning breakfast show, a slot inherited from Terry Wogan
and Sarah Kennedy
. He also was a host of The One Show
until he was chosen as the new host of Top Gear
Prior to taking over the radio show, Evans presented TV shows, most notably Don't Forget Your Toothbrush
(gameshow) and TGI Friday
. He is most famous for re-inventing morning breakfast TV, revolutionising the genre with the zoo-format The Big Breakfast
on Channel Four
. (since widely imitated worldwide).
His previous stint at the BBC, on Radio One
, was marred by allegations of bullying staff and ended in his being sacked for refusing to work on Fridays because it clashed with his TV show for a rival channel. However, all appears to have been forgiven and forgotten, and Evans is now very popular in the morning radio show, gathering consistently high ratings and a loyal fan-base.
Evans was also notable as one of the two main co-presenters of the BBC flagship series Top Gear
after its revamp following the indiscreetly public retirement of its old presenter, Jeremy Clarkson. Following a ratings slump and allegations of misconduct, including renewed allegations of bullying and harrassing staff and co-presenters, Evans has now resigned from this show after only one series. His Channel Four show TFI Friday
has also been axed.
He was formerly married to singer-turned-actress Billie Piper
, now famous for her work on Doctor Who
He is not to be confused with
the American actor Chris Evans
This radio presenter's career and work contains examples of:
- Amicable Exes: He and Billie are so OK with eachother that shortly after their breakup she was the first guest on his new Sunday talk show, and he opened by joking "When are you going to pick up the rest of your stuff?"
- Cluster F-Bomb: dropped by guests such as Sean Ryder on his live Friday evening show, forcing the regulators to insist potentially contentious parts be pre-recorded.
- Drinking on Duty: some of the work he did during the latter stages of his marriage to Billie Piper has overtures of this. Both were frequently pictured leaving supermarkets with a shopping basket full of booze, and Evans himself admits he was drinking far too heavily at this point.
- Emphasise Everything: a criticism of his presentation style is that it's far too shouty and over-excited.
- Hatedom: all the people who still resent him for not being Terry Wogan, who think he has dumbed down the morning show, and those who suspect he had a hand in Sarah Kennedy's departure and the demotion of broadcasting legend Johnny Walker. Evans deals with most of these issues in his biography.note
- Evans has recently attracted a new Hatedom from Top Gear fans, incensed that somebody who in in their eyes is Captain Ersatz is taking over their show from the God-like Jeremy Clarkson. It dioesn't help that Evans has taken to using Clarkson's Catchphrase "..and on that bombshell" = possibly deliberately.
- Manic Pixie Dream Boy: in the opinion of ex-wife Billie Piper, who asserts he saved her from mental breakdown and possible suicide by being... himself.