Jeremy Lee "Renni" Renner (born 1971) is an American actor known for his role in Joss Whedon
's The Avengers
. He also starred in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
and The Bourne Legacy
as Aaron Cross. His most famous role is probably that of Sergeant First Class William James in The Hurt Locker
Renner first became interested in acting through an exercise at a local police academy, which gave him the opportunity to role-play a domestic disturbance perpetrator as part of a police-training exercise for an easy $50.
In addition to his work as an actor, Renner continues to cultivate a lifelong love of music. A singer, songwriter, and musician, he performed with the band Sons of Ben early in his career. Scenes in Love Comes to the Executioner
, North Country
, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
briefly showcase Renner's singing talents.
His notable roles include:
Tropes displayed by Jeremy Renner include:
- Advertised Extra: Admitted that while he was happy to have done The Avengers, he felt that Hawkeye was snubbed in screentime. Joss seemed to noticed this, as Hawkeye will have a larger role in the next movie.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: The reason he did The Avengers was due to this trope. He even managed to convince Joss Whedon to give Hawkeye more screentime for Age of Ultron.
- The Cameo: Appeared in Thor as Hawkeye, but was neither named nor credited.
- Loony Fan: Was sadly a victim of this after playing Jeffrey Dahmer - one fan bit him on his arm, while another kidnapped his pet cat Milo.
- Money, Dear Boy: The reason he did Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters was due to this trope. Judging by the media appearances he did around the release, he seems to regret it.
- Old Shame:
- You're unlikely to hear his debut "National Lampoon's Senior Trip" mentioned in interviews.
- During his early days, he also often played Butt Monkey characters in commercials.
- Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters seems to be heading that way. The movie was pushed into the Dump Months, and people have noticed that he looked miserable while promoting the thing.
- Older than They Look: Not as much as some in Hollywood but it's still hard to believe the man is his forties, especially since almost all of his roles involve characters that are almost a decade (or more) younger than his actual age. This is accentuated in Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters, where he plays a character that is, at the most, in his late twenties.