Because we're worth it!
There's beauty, stranger...in thy soft form;
Thy fine, bright hair, not coarse like the hard athlete's,
Is mantling o'er thy cheek, warm with desire...
Wooing Aphrodite with thy loveliness.
— Pentheus describes Dionysus
How do you make a Pretty Boy
even prettier? Give him long (shoulder-length or longer), flowing tresses of glossy hair. Bonus points for wearing it loose, no matter how impractical this may be.
A lot of these fall under Viewer Gender Confusion
, because Long Hair Is Feminine
(if the confusion occurs in-universe, it's an example of Dude Looks Like a Lady
). Many fall under Mr. Fanservice
Related to Rapunzel Hair
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Cardcaptor Sakura: Yue's braid of silver hair trails 2 feet behind him on the floor (or more, if it's a CLAMP illustration). Makes sense since he represents Yin and, through that, the Feminine aspect.
- Byakuya has long black hair that falls just past his shoulders. As a stoic nobleman with raven black hair and pale skin, he tends to be very popular with the women. The Shinigami Women's Institute keeps voting him the sexiest male shinigami in their annual polls.
- Ukitake has waist length white hair and is considered gentle, kind, and attractive. His Heterosexual Life Partner, Kyoraku, keeps referring to him as a ladykiller because female shinigami can be reduced to blushing jelly if he so much as smiles at them. His female third seat, Kiyone, is hopelessly in love with him.
- Yumichika, notorious for his beauty and his obsession with beauty, used to have long hair that was fashionably styled until he joined the shinigami, whereupon he cut his hair to chin-length.
- Inuyasha has long white hair reminiscent of the lion-dog figure in kabuki plays. For all his abrasive personality, he's considered rather cute, and the dog ears half hidden in his hair tend to be irresistible for women to try and touch. Even Kagome's mother gave in to the urge. He's particularly popular with Jakotsu... much to his chagrin.
- Sesshoumaru is a tall, slim, beautiful youkai of very high aristocratic rank with long, flowing white hair that falls to his waist. The anime takes this to extremes, however, by lengthening his hair down to his knees. Kagura, who had commented upon first seeing Inuyasha and Kouga that they weren't her type, fell for Sesshoumaru the moment she laid eyes on him. Jakotsu thought he was very attractive as well, but by then had his heart set on Inuyasha. The anime also gave him his very own Stalker with a Crush who fell for him the moment she saw him.
- Naraku took over the body of a handsome young human lord to create the shell of the half-youkai that he became. As a result, he has long black hair styled as a young lord would wear it. Unusually in the series, his hair is actually wavy rather than dead straight.
- Youth Gone Wild has several, though Lu Kai is most notable, completing the look with Guy Liner and lipstick.
- Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin, referred to in the first chapter as "Handsome Swordsman of Legend", has long red hair. His impossibly youthful looks are lampshaded when two of the cast are surprised to learn he's actually 28.
- Ryuunosuke of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, being a genius hikikomori, barely has time cutting his hair, which has now grown to feminine lengths. He's also so pretty that he's once forced to wear a maid outfit.
- YuYu Hakusho:
- Kurama (normally red, but turns white when he transforms into Youko), to the extent he suffers from a bad case of Even the Guys Want Him amoung the villians.
- Karasu has long black hair (which turns blond when he powers up). Considering his sadistic nature, this leads to a really creepy Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon effect.
- Shishiwakamaru is this in universe as well as out. He has a whole entourage of fangirls cheering for him and Yusuke jokes he should start a boy band because he "already has the looks for it" when he taunts him and his team.
- Sakyou, meanwhile, has more of a mullet, leads to the same Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon effect as Karasu
- Mononoke: Kusuriuri is known for capturing the hearts of all the women he meets just by standing still and letting the Dramatic Wind blow through his long, wavy ash blond hair.
- Beelzebub: When Himekawa loses the pompadour and sunglasses, his hair is revealed to be very long and beautiful, and he's so handsome his classmates are left speechless. From then on whenever he appears in this state he's nicknamed "Sexykawa".
- Amatsuki: Being set in the Edo Period, all men have long hair, but the longest belongs to Ginshu, who wears it loose and is pretty enough to have masqueraded as a woman for years. Bonten, a suave, vain demon who Word of God calls the best looking guy in the series, is unique for his long blond hair which he ties in a ponytail, but sometimes lets down for alluring effect.
- Get Backers!: Kazuki has floor length brown hair and is so pretty he's been mistaken as female a number of times.
- Aburatsubo from Magic User's Club. He's tall, has long red hair, and is gorgeous enough to have his fanclub.
- Griffith, the resident Bishōnen from Berserk who hordes of male and female characters have a fallen for and obsessed over during the course of the series, has waist-length white waves that the fandom has affectionately dubbed "cloud hair".
- Guilty Crown: Gai Tsutsugami is tall, has a well built physique, has long blonde hair that goes passed his shoulders and has attracted a number of female characters.
- Narciso Anasui from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean. Upon meeting him FF even questions his gender.
- Kouji Minamoto of Digimon Frontier technically falls under this trope since his hair is long enough to be worn in a near-waist-length ponytail. Amusingly his long-lost twin brother Kouichi is a Short-Haired Pretty Boy due to having similar features but an overall more feminine appearance.
- He's more manly than your standard 'pretty boy' as a giant muscular viking, but The Mighty Thor deserves a mention for his long blonde hair and numerous female admirers. He ain't called Goldilocks for nothin', true believers!
- The Avengers and Thor: The Dark World: Along with wavy black hair down to his shoulders, Loki has big blue eyes, a slender build, and moves very gracefully. His attractiveness to humans is implied by how easily he disarms people even before he starts using his silver tongue or mind-controlly staff.
- The Lord of the Rings: Legolas is the main example, though according to Tolkien, ALL Elves fit this trope.
- It is impossible for anyone to have hair as gorgeously maintained as Legolas' without it being all they think about or without access to cleaning agents and facilities. The best analysis of what it would take to keep that hair up on the quest for the one ring can be found in jpurnal for Legolas in The Very Secret Diaries.
- Prince Roger McClintock's long hair and prettyboy looks, combined with behaving like a useless fop in rebellion to his family, makes his bodyguards dismiss him as a useless load when they become stranded on Marduk as a result of a coup attempt, though as the series continues they realize their dismissal of him due to the appearance was a mistake.
- Fablehaven has Bracken, who is tall, willowy, youthful, and has long, soft silver-white hair.
- Plenty of men in A Brother's Price. Women keep their hair short and practical; men grow theirs out very long and usually keep it braided. Since men are so rare most women see very few, any man with all of his teeth and both eyes is going to be considered attractive... even so, Jerin is thought of as amazingly handsome.
- Roshaun ke Nelaid of Young Wizards. His descriptions in both books in which he appears stress two things: that he's very, very pretty, and sports a blond ponytail long enough for him to sit on.
- Valli in Outlander Leander has long hair and is described as pretty by Leander, and even wears flowers and dresses. Not to be confused with a crossdresser, though, because it's not considered crossdressing to them.
- Game of Thrones: Ser Loras Tyrell has wavy, light brown, shoulder-length hair in Season 1. George R.R. Martin even described the character as "...the teen idol of Westeros" in this HBO featurette. Two lowborn Lannister soldiers consider the Knight of Flowers to be prettier than the Queen. Sansa Stark has a crush on Loras because of his good looks.
- Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights has shoulder-length locks and is referred to as attractive by just about everyone on the show, including his head coach. At the very beginning of the series, he had already slept with half the rally girls and was in a relationship with one of the hottest girls in school. Then, he basically forced her to break up with him, had sex with the head cheerleader and successfully seduced a woman 16 years older than himself. Oh, and that was before he won state and started having threesomes on a weekly basis.
- Cu Chulainn of Celtic Mythology is described in the Táin Bó Cúailnge as as a beautiful young man with long, multi-hued hair that fell past his shoulders.
- Krishna is known for his long hair and his beauty, as is the god Vishnu whom he incarnates from. One of Krishna's names literally translates into "of beautiful hair".
- When Dionysus disguises himself as a human in Bacchae, King Pentheus goes on a poetic rant about how beautiful he is, paying particular attention to his long, silky hair, which he then threatens to cut off.
- Street Fighter: Vega has long hair that goes past his waist. His default outfit is him shirtless, revealing his muscular physique and wearing a mask to protect his handsome face.
- Assassin's Creed II: Ezio. His hair is usually in a ponytail, but does reach his shoulders. And over the course of the series he proves himself to be quite the ladies man.
- Guilty Gear has quite a few, with Testament standing out in particular for having long black hair and a very feminine looking attire. A number of the characters have commented on his beauty.
- El Goonish Shive: Noah has long hair he keeps in a ponytail. Due to that and his other androgynous traits other characters are unsure of his gender.
- Ménage à 3 features Erik, a blond, sunglasses-wearing rich guy who '80s hair-rock fan Zii considers a perfect boyfriend, for his looks (and for many other reasons). The spin-off comic, Sticky Dilly Buns, features Angel, who has the hair, who plays in a glam-rock revival band called "Pretty Boyz With Electric Toyz", and who the lead character correctly identifies as a romantic rival on sight.
- Todd Allison & the Petunia Violet: Meredith has long dark hair, has been the cause of much Viewer Gender Confusion since his first appearance, and was called "impossibly beautiful" by Rolls. Elijah also noted (admittedly out of continuity) how Meredith was more popular with girls when they were younger, partially due to having a more handsome face.
- In The Wretched Ones, every major male character so far, excluding the wig wearing crossdresser and Mortimer, have this feature.
- Teen Titans: Aqualad has long, black hair that runs down to his shoulders, a lean muscular physique and is consider very handsome as both Raven and Starfire get a crush him the first time they see him.
- Sym-Bionic Titan: Lance's black hair goes down to his shoulders, and he is incredibly popular in school, especially with the girls.
- Ben 10: Kevin Levin, whose black hair falls to his shoulders. He grows up into a tall, muscular young man who's had multiple girls gain a crush on him.