open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
- Ranma ½: Kasumi Tendo often wears her hair this way, along with an apron. While she may only be the eldest daughter of the family, she handles the domestic duties of the Tendo household. It becomes even more the case when it's revealed that she's filling in for their deceased mother.
- In Bleach, Ikumi switches to one when her son shows up and she is in "sweet pampering mother" mode. In normal situations, however…
- In Alice 19th, Frey and members of his northern european Lotsan group, having this sideplaited braid is mandatory. Eric has one, too, but cuts it off when he turns to the dark side.
- Chiemi Takakura from Mawaru-Penguindrum, the mother of the protagonists, styles her hair like this.
- Eren's mother Carla from Attack on Titan. This, combined with the FMA example, have led the fandom to nickname this trope the "Dead Mom Side Pony."
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story: During her down-time, Mami Tomoe is once shown wearing her hair this way (normally she has Mega Twin Tails). Fitting, given her current relationship with Kyouko as a surrogate parental figure/Magical Girl mentor.
- As a part of her post Time Skip Adrenaline Makeover, Anna Stephanie from Blue Comet SPT Layzner lets her hair down from its initial Tomboyish Ponytail and styles it like this. She's not exactly a mother, but at this point of the series she's shouldering lots of responsibilities as The Heart of La Résistance.
- Hinami's mother Ryouko Fueguchi from Tokyo Ghoul wore her hair in a loose ponytail over one shoulder. Though a gentle pacifist, she proves to be a Mama Bear that sacrifices her life to give her daughter a chance at survival.
- Yuuri from School-Live! is only a high schooler but wears this style a few times when out of her school uniform. She's the Cool Big Sis and Team Mom character of the group.
- Akane Hyakuya in Seraph of the End sports this style, combined with a braid despite being a young girl.
- In Card Captor Sakura, Nadeshiko tended to wear her hair loose but a flashback shows her with her hair like this while teaching Touya how to play the piano.
- Nozomi, the Team Mom of Love Live!, changes her hairstyle to this (plus braided bits) in the last episode, when she graduates. She's shown with the new style in several of the cards in the series' card-collecting rhythm game.
- Lorrie Berlinetta from ViVid Strike! wears her hair this way, though did so even before she adopted Rinne.
- Zael's mother in The Last Story wears a braided side plait.
- Dragon Quest V's Bianca trades her Girlish Pigtails for one of these upon reaching adulthood. Might be another hint at how your hero's really supposed to pick her for his bride.
- Louise in Fire Emblem The Blazing Sword, who took care of her husband's apprentice Erk from childhood (and reminded them both that they had to do things other than study).
- A male example; in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, Lewyn wears his hair this way in Generation 2. Fittingly, he's a stern Team Dad in that part of the game.
- Another male example; Barrett, originally from Rune Factory 2, wears one of these in his return for Rune Factory 4. Apparently, the kids braided his hair when he fell asleep, and he kept it that way because it makes them happy.
- Sanjay from Harvest Moon: A New Beginning is yet another male example. He is Amir's sweet butler, and a potential bachelor if you play as a female.
- Higurashi: When They Cry:
- Akasaka's wife, Yukie, has one of these, and quite an impressive one.
- In Matsuribayashi, Takano's mother has a smaller variant.
- Natsumi's mother in the manga-only Onisarashi arc is a textbook example... until she looses her plait as she starts to go insane. Or rather, as we see her go insane through Natsumi's eyes.
- Keiichi's mom also sports one in the live action adaptation.
- Natsuhi Ushiromiya has a sort of high ponytail variant in Umineko: When They Cry. She is more stern than most examples but she does treasure her family.
- Natsuhi Ebata has this with her loose twin braids variant in School Days. She's very kind to her adoptive or rather, her own biological daughter whom she abandoned many years ago to Hayato Ashikaga before she married him daughter, Inori, which further emphasis this.
- In Kanon, Akiko Minase also wears her hair in such a fashion.
- Button's Adventures: Button's Mother wears her mane like this.
- Nei'kalsa of Drowtales is shown with this, which serves to emphasize her role as a mother figure to Sarnel (who's actually her brother, and while their mother is apparently alive she's also out of the picture). Especially since Word of God clarifies that she's pregnant in that scene so will soon be a mother for real.