open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin indulges into this at the end of the Tanabata filler episode, after mistakenly believing that Kenshin wanted to marry her.
- One Pound Gospel: Kosaku starts pigging out on ramen after Sister Angela tells him that she can't spend any more time with him until he stops liking her as more than a friend.
- Sorta used in Persona 4: The Animation when Aika offers the Rainy Day Special to Yu after Nanako's death. Yu is in such a depressed state that he actually eats it whole in less than 10 minutes — it's remarkable because this is a beef bowl that Yu and his friends have eaten before, and it's so... special that it's almost impossible to eat in less than 40 minutes.
- Kanade aka Angel in Angel Beats! goes for some Mapo Tofu (extremely spicy tofu dish) after being ousted from her position as Student Council President. But even that small pleasure ends up being inadvertently stolen from her by the SSS.
- In Inukami!, Youko's Trademark Favorite Food is chocolate cake. It turns out her crush gave her some when he was much younger; he doesn't remember it, but this act of kindness that happened when he when stuck on a mountain and surrounded by dogs, turned her into a yandere for him.
- Inuyasha's Ramen fixation, anyone?
- In a Naruto filler mini arc, Princess Fuku indulges into eating because she's too nervous in the wake of her Arranged Marriage. So much that she becomes a Fat Girl, and her Ninja Identical Stranger Ino Yamanaka is commisioned into becoming her Body Double. Then the soon-to-be husband, Prince Chikara, turns out to be a pudgy guy and a Chubby Chaser...
- In Afro Samurai, Afro's Trademark Favorite Food is lemonade, his first drink of it being the high point of his generally crappy childhood.
- In Pokémon Special Diamond offers a slice of cream pie to Platinum when she gets depressed in the wake of her super contest.
- Ponyo in Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea is obsessed with ham! Because it's the first human food she ever tastes and it was fed to her by the first human she ever met.
- Urd and Skuld in Ah! My Goddess can recharge their powers via the Comfort Food of their choice ice cream for Skuld and Sake for Urd. Belldandy loves sodas but avoids them because one sip can get her roaring drunk.
- In the eighth Pokémon movie, Max earns Lucario's trust with chocolate. Lucario is later seen sharing some in the afterlife with his master, Sir Aaron.
- In Mitsuki Oosawa's version of Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu, Tiltyu tells Azel about this trope:
Tiltyu: Well, I'm going to make soup for everyone in the base (And I also need your fire magic to ment the snow into water). In troubled times like these, I at least want them to eat something super delicious. (My cooking skills are nothing to scoff at, I'll let you know. In fact, I'm skilled at everything!)"
- In Anpanman, Anpanman himself lives in a bakery. So, whenever his friends come running to him in need of help, they're normally in a panic, and Uncle Jam, Anpanman's father figure, always has fresh bread, tea, and cookies ready to help calm their nerves.
- In the dub of Axis Powers Hetalia, America's explanation for why he eats so much junk food is because it numbs him to the many problems he has to deal with. When he tells China this, China's immediate reaction is to start eating a large amount of chocolate.
- Fruits Basket: Tohru Honda tends to put her cooking skills to use cheering up her various friends (and given how many of them are The Woobie, she's often busy with that). One notable example is when she brings Rin, who is recovering in the hospital, some gelatine. Rin eats it at night, noting that it tastes good. One chapter also has Kyo cook a meal for Tohru, after she gets sick. Between the food and him listening to what upset her to the point of the cold, she quickly gets better.
- Sorta weaponized with Kirio Hikifune's food in Bleach. Not only she's a Supreme Chef who's VERY good at both Western and Eastern food, but she charges her meals with reiatsu to help her guests replenish their energies beyond any levels. Once Ichigo and Renji eat a massive meal prepared by her right after being healed by Tenjirou, their spirits are lifted off the ceiling and they're brimming with energy.
- The concept itself is also discussed on page, as Ichigo wonders if it's okay to eat such delicious food after Soul Society has almost been destroyed, but Renji replies that this is exactly the reason why they should do it: they gotta replenish their physical and emotional energy before starting to fight again for everyone's sake. Hikifune overhears this, returns and agrees with the second.
- Discussed in X/1999. When Sorata manages to feed Kamui some of his excellent food after a particularly harsh Break the Cutie deal, Arashi congratulates him and says that if Kamui is still willing to eat after all the shit he went through, it means he hasn't completely lost the will to live. This also hints at Arashi's Orphan's Ordeal, which included her living in the streets with almost nothing to eat until the Ise Jingu priestesses took her in.
- Implied to be the reason why Koujiro Hyuuga of Captain Tsubasa loves Coca Cola and always drinks it despite it being bad for a sportsman like him. He used to be very poor as a child, now that he has a regular income and a good part of his goals are secured, he feels that he can allow himself that little pleasure.
- In Claymore, Deneve' and her apples. Considering the life of a claymore is a never-ending Trauma Conga Line, completely understandable.
- Shokugeki no Soma's Megumi Tadokoro specializes in this kind of dish. Her cooking has a relaxing quality that evokes childhood memories and the simple comforts of home, in contrast to her peers' Orgasmically Delicious creations.
- In one Zits strip Jeremy isn't feeling well, so his mother makes a heaping pile of food to carry up to his room.
Walt/Dad: Calorie therapy?Connie/Mom: When in doubt, apply food to the wound.
- In Drabble, Ralph claims it's impossible to feel bad when you're eating pancakes.
- In a week of Peanuts strips in 1968, Lucy selling something called "Goop" at her booth for five cents a bowl. Charlie Brown needs it after another failed attempt to introduce himself to the Little Red-Haired Girl, because, as he says, "a good way to forget a love affair is to eat a lot of goop!"
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction A Delicate Balance, Twilight's comfort food is chocolate granola bars. When the rest of the characters hear that she bought out Sugarcube Corner's entire stock, they immediately realize something is wrong.
- In another My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction, "Past Sins",Celestia is unable to sleep , fearing that an attack by Nightmare Moon is Imminent. She Orders Maroon Carrot Soup and an extra large helping of Cloud Cake from the Royal Kitchens in an attempt to calm her nerves and set her Mind at ease. For her part, Nightmare Moon is terribly fond of Celery Soup. Why is the dark goddess of Equestria fond of such a pedestrian dish? It was the first meal Twilight Sparkle fed her, after rescuing her from the Everfree Forest back when Nightmare Moon was merely, a scared little filly known simply as Nyx
- In the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fanfiction 30 Years some particularly bad nightmares drive Donatello to raid to fridge for some Devil's Food cake and a glass of milk.
Films — Animated
- In Ratatouille, the title dish proves to be a Comfort Food for Anton Ego, as evidenced by the tears of joy and happy memories of his mother when he ate Remy's slightly fancied-up version. The experience was enough to cause a complete change of heart.
- Kung Fu Panda: Po often eats to comfort himself, after the climactic dumpling fight, Po has moved beyond that kind of emotional crutch.
- The Princess and the Frog: We have the scene where Tiana prepares some gumbo for herself and Naveen.
Films — Live-Action
- In Constantine, after a jaunt into Hell for information, Constantine declares he needs to eat. It's unclear if this is to cope with the trauma or because he had used up a lot of calories in his psychic journey, but in the film it seems to be a little of both.
- In Iron Man, the first thing Tony Stark asks for when he gets back to the safety of American soil after being held hostage by the Ten Rings is an American cheeseburger, which he proceeds to sit down and eat during the press conference he immediately holds.
- In Gotcha, after Anthony Edwards manages to return to West Berlin after a rather traumatic trip to the East, the first thing he does is go to West Berlin's McDonald's and order "an American cheeseburger, some American fries, and a nice, thick, American milkshake."
- In Defending Your Life, one of the benefits of the way station between Earth and Heaven is the ability to eat as much comfort food as you want without gaining weight (we see one person order and eat 20 pies).
- Fat Bastard from Austin Powers lampshades one negative aspect of overrelying on Comfort Food:
"Of course I'm not happy! Look at me, I'm a big fat slob. I've got bigger titties than you do. I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook. I've not seen my willie in two years, which is long enough to declare it legally dead. (on the verge of tears) I can't stop eating. I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle."
- Keep in mind that his idea of Comfort Food includes human babies.
- Word of God says that this is the reason why Hector Barbossa kept talking about apples in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.
- In The A-Team Baracus can often be calmed down by coconut curry with toast points.
- In the original series B.A.'s Trademark Favorite Food was milk.
- Jurassic Park: While waiting until the next day to search for Dr. Grant and the kids, Dr. Sattler finds Hammond eating ice cream and joins him.
- Subverted by Signs; The Hess family decides to share a meal including all their favorite foods (spaghetti, bacon cheeseburger, ect.) when the aliens invade, but are too anxious and sullen to enjoy it.
- Distressed by the lack of attention that her husband gives her, Tamara in Dr. Giggles starts eating ice cream out of a bowl. Then the eponymous villain arrives and is appalled by her unhealthy eating habits, and kills her by pumping her stomach to the point of bleeding.
- In A Brother's Price, when Jerin's toddler sisters are inconsolable about his going away to get married, he comforts them by suggesting they bake a cake and make ice cream.
- In one of the books in The Pendragon Adventure, Bobby appears in modern-day Stony Brook where his Muggle friends live, and they go to their local fast-food hangout for fries.
- Harry Potter:
- The standard treatment to recover from a Dementor attack is chocolate. Some Truth in Television here; chocolate is known to have mood-elevating effects. By the end of the book, Harry is tired of it.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Kreacher offers to make Harry a treacle tart and after Harry saves the world, he really wants a sandwich made by Kreacher.
- In the Cordwainer Smith short story "The Ballad of Lost C'mell" Lord Jestocost is extremely fond of eggs, he considers them a special treat.
- In A Planet Named Shayol On the Body Horror Penal Colony planet Shayol the Bull-Man B'dikkat offers to make Mercer some fried eggs before he sends him outside because his first day will be easier if he has food in his stomach.
- Deconstructed in Jelly Belly. Big Eater Ned struggles with his weight throughout the book, not helped by the conflicting food messages he receives from his family. His parents tell him he needs to lose weight, but Grandma Rose continues to make him fattening meals and sweets as she truly believes food equals love.
- In The Hunger Games, Katniss's favorite food from the Capitol is lamb stew with dried plums. Soups and stews are common foods in Seam and it probably reminded her of the home and family she desperately missed
- Discworld has Rincewind, whose love of potatoes stems from when he was marooned on a desert island, he was safe and had food but the two things he lacked were female companionship and potatoes. Some wires got badly crossed in his head.
- The Kate Jacobs novel Comfort Food is pretty much all about this with liberal amount of Food Porn Just reading the first paragraph and you'll be craving some kind of cake.
"Gus Simpson adored birthday cake. Chocolate, coconut, lemon, strawberry, vanilla—she had a particular fondness for the classics. Even though she experimented with new flavors and frostings, drizzling with syrups and artfully arranging hibiscus petals, Gus more often took the retro route with piped-on flowers or a flash of candy sprinkles across the iced top. Because birthday cake was really about nostalgia, she knew about reaching in and using the senses to remember one perfect childhood moment."
- In The Witch of Blackbird Pond, half of Hannah's cure for sad children is blueberry cake. (The other half is a kitten.)
- In one of the Animorphs books, after Rachael involuntarily morphs into an elephant and falls through the second floor of her house, after a big hullabaloo she is resting in a hotel room, where she calls room service and orders a burger and fries with a slice of cherry pie a la mode and chocolate milkshake.
- When Willoughby breaks Marianne's heart in Sense and Sensibility, Mrs. Jennings tries to feed it away. It doesn't work, as Marianne indulges her sorrow to the point where she can hardly eat or sleep, but she does have success when she digs out an old bottle of wine that Elinor claims for her own treatment.
- In Jane Austen's Emma, Mr Woodhouse orders a bowl of gruel whenever he's distressed, which is nearly all the time. His older daughter Isabella loves gruel as well and the comforting effect is the same for her.
- In Papelucho en la Clínica, Papelucho chomps on some watermelon few after being operated on by mistake and lampshades the trope as he thinks "oh wow, an ill person who eats won't die". Bad thing, eating so soon after an appendix removal operation backfires *terribly* on him; he passes out few minutes afterwards and, when he wakes up, he's told that he almost died.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events: While at the Anxious Clown, the waiter, hearing of Aunt Josephine's death, offers the Cheer-Up Cheeseburger to the Baudelaires, Mr. Poe, and Captain Sham/Count Olaf. Subverted in that it doesn't do much.
Live Action TV
- In Doctor Who after the Doctor explains to Rose that he's the last of the Time Lords, and what that actually means, they go out for chips. The chips help.
- In Supernatural, when Castiel abandons his host body, we get to see said host body, Jimmy, chow down on cheeseburgers to the point of grossing Dean out.
- Doubly funny because cheeseburgers are Dean's comfort food.
- In Parks and Recreation, cheesburgers are one of two known cures for Andy's 'shoe shine head' ailment.
- In The Drew Carey Show episode "The High Road to China", Drew is stranded in China with no money and without his passport. He gets some money by working locally and upon arriving in Beijing, almost immediately goes to the McDonald's there. Unfortunately, he still hasn't got enough even for a Big Mac, prompting him to say "I never thought I'd use this in real life, but 'I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.'".
- It is mentioned in an episode of Babylon 5 that Michael Garibaldi eats like a starved man after experiencing serious personal tragedy, though only one early episode draws any particular attention to it. Worth noting that he is consistently depicted as being an excellent cook, particularly when it comes to Italian cuisine. He is also an alcoholic, so the food could also be a sort of Addiction Displacement.
- Tater tots for Mercedes in Glee. Naturally, she is not happy when they are banned.
- In Fraggle Rock, radish bars are Comfort Food to Red and Mokey Fraggle. They even sing a song about it!
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- After Buffy and Angel break up near the end of season three, Giles' immediate suggestion is ice cream of some kind. Buffy decides to wait until after she's killed anything that could stop her friends from going to the prom. "Advantage of being a Slayer, kicking ass is comfort food."
- Buffy: "When this is over I'm thinking pineapple pizza and teen video movie fest. Possibly something from the Ringwald oeuvre."
- Averted in "Killed By Death". Buffy is disappointed that no-one brought her chocolate in hospital. Then she discovers that Willow did all her homework. "Chocolate means nothing to me!"
- After Joyce dies and they have to sit around waiting at the hospital morgue, the Scoobies go to get something from the cafeteria, only to return with armloads of soda, chips, chocolate and sandwiches. Willow says only, "We panicked."
- When Angel hears that Buffy is Back from the Dead (again), they realize they have to meet...and it's a Noodle Incident on both shows that neither wants to discuss. Buffy brings back a giant tub of fried chicken, while Angel admits he could really use some ice cream.
- In the first season of Lie to Me Foster is always seen eating or drinking something that's admittedly unhealthy - Slurpees, chocolate, huge soft drinks. Lightman never misses an opportunity to make comments about it, though Foster is firm on her refusal to quit because it's what makes her happy.
- On Bones FBI Agent Booth - a former sniper - has a huge weakness for macaroni and cheese. At one point, Brennan surprises him by acquiring the recipe of a chef in an impossible-to-get-into restaurant and serving him a special dinner. It was yet another tiny moment that spoke volumes about their relationship without words.
- In Justified Errol has loved marinated pork tongue since childhood. Limehouse reminisces about how Errol's father would bring him pork tongue when Errol was a little boy.
- In Good Eats, Alton Brown mentions comfort food in quite a few episodes but in the forth episode, "Use Your Noodle", he proclaims the most comforting comfort food of all is lasagna (He may have a point there)
- In the eighth season of American Idol the top seven are asked what there favorite comfort foods are Lil likes chocolate chip cookies with pecans, Anoop is fond of barbecue,Matt really likes hot tea, Danny loves Puerto Rican and Mexican, food Alison loves anything with chocolate on it, Kris favors cornbread as his comfort food and Adam REALLY LOVES ice cream.
- In the episode Good of the Soul on The Chew four of the hosts talk about their favorite comfort foods Mario wants spaghetti, Carla wants collard greens and cornbread, Daphne is always craving banana pudding and Clinton craves macaroni and cheese.
- In the Mash episode "Adam's Ribs", Hawkeye goes out of his way to order and have delivered to the 4077th (which is in Korea, remember, in the middle of a war zone) 40 pounds of ribs (plus sauce) from a restaurant called Adam's Ribs in Chicago, Illinois. And why did he go to such trouble? Because he was sick of army food and Adam's Ribs was the best food he could think of. Unfortunately, he never got to eat any of it as he was suddenly called away to the O.R.
- Pity he forgot the cole slaw.
- Frasier: Maris ballooning to 200 pounds after Niles divorces her.
- Frasier when he's between jobs.
- The Golden Girls subverted this once.
Dorothy: Blanche, where's the cheesecake?Blanche: I found two gray hairs.Dorothy: Blanche! You're getting old! We all are! That's no reason to eat an entire cheesecake!Blanche: I found the two gray hairs in the cheesecake.
- Mentioned on Orange Is the New Black in "Tall Men With Feelings." During the impromptu memorial, Poussey says she thought they could use some "comfort food" and pulls several snacks from under her shirt and the waistband of her pants.
- Star Trek: Voyager.
- In "Extreme Risk" B'Elanna Torres is suffering from severe depression and asks Neelix to make her banana pancakes, just like her grandmother used to make. Subverted when she takes a single bite, then leaves. At the end of the episode, she's tucking into another plate with more enthusiasm.
- In an earlier episode, taking place shortly after the start of the series, Neelix winds up being introduced to the concept of comfort foods by way of simply having various crew members asking him to cook some (in particular he mentions having to learn how to make peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches). Understandable, as the Voyager crew needs a lot of help to cope with the stress of being stranded in the Delta Quadrant.
- Person of Interest. Reese saves the life of a POI from an assassination attempt. When she has time to think about what happened and starts to Freak Out, he offers her chocolate. She asks if it will counter the adrenaline rush. Reese says no, it just tastes good.
- In And Out Of The Kitchen - Anthony has responded to stress or disappointment by ingesting heroic quantities of cheese, chocolate and stir-fried stewing steak.
- In Space Beasts Ichabod Crane (not that one) really likes a good cup of chamomile tea after a humiliating experience
- Also his girlfriend Marzipan the Cat Girl wanted a hamburger with extra onions after being held captive for three weeks by aliens.
- Most of the characters have their own personal comfort foods, there have been quite a few episodes dedicated to discussing when their comfort foods became comfort foods.
- Bill Brandy: Ice Cream, particularly strawberry flavor
- Jim Buckwheat: Apple Pie
- Ichabod Crane: We already mentioned chamomile tea but his favorite childhood meal is New England clam chowder.
- Matoaka Redfeather: Loves her strawberry sweets she is especially fond of the strawberry cordial Minsk makes.
- Edward Green: Mentions chicken soup as his comfort food
- Zander: Loves apples
- Kate Punda Milla Has a weakness for apple cake
- Cornelius Oolou: Mentions his love of meat loaf
- Thomas Lanky Has his tuna fish sandwiches
- Rose Loves chocolate truffles
- Belladonna Starchild Favorite childhood comfort food is angel food cake.
- Andy Kan: Likes French fries smothered in curry sauce
- Tipp Barrington has an extreme weakness for cherry pie
- Special mention goes to one of the villains, Duchess Bimbolurlina Has a weakness for chocolate covered pretzels.
- Bad Dudes: After you rescue him from the captivity of ninjas, President Ronnie wants to go for a burger. You, however, do not get one.
- In The Sims 2's Free Time Expansion a Sim with the Family Aspiration can learn to prepare Grandma's Comfort Soup which gives a strong boost to both food and comfort meters and instantly cures sickness.
- In The Sims 3 you can choose a Sim's favorite food (Along with favorite color and music) Sims will get a mood boost when eating their favorite food.
- The Legend of Zelda
- In The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, Link absolutely LOVES his Grandma's soup! (Which also recovers his HP magic and doubles his attack power!)
- Also appears in The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess: Yeto brews a soup for his sick wife using pumpkin, goat cheese, and fish... and as you add each ingredient, the soup becomes tastier (?!) and is a better healing potion. You can drink as much of it as you want, and considering how many bottomless pits and spiky ice monsters haunt the premises, you'll probably want a lot of it...
- Soup appears to be a common comfort food in the Zelda series because it appears again in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Pumpkin Soup is another healing item and it's even enjoyed by the Sky Spirit Levias.
- This is probably the reason for for the Favorite Food in Earthbound and Mother 3 you can either type in your own actual favorite food, or use one of the default options. In Mother there is no default options it is entirely up to the Player to name the favorite food. Of course Hilarity can ensue in Mother 3 where it is used more often
Claus Ooh, lunch, lunch! Brains!
- In the Pokémon games feeding your Pokemon vitamins and EV berries will raise their happiness and make them like you more.
- In one of the Nancy Drew Games The Haunted Carousel the hot fudge Fundae is connected to Joy's lost past, Nancy has to order the sundae and grab the special spoon in order to rekindle Joy's suppressed memories
- Right before the Final Boss fight in Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, Xion offers a despondent Roxas a bar of Sea-salt ice-cream. They quietly eat ice-cream together one last time.
- In Tomodachi Life, a Mii's Favorite Food also doubles as Comfort Food, and is a very fast way to make them feel better if they become sad. Their All-time Favorite food, however, cheers them up instantly.
- Toyed with in Fire Emblem Awakening. If Gaius is Cynthia's father and speaks to the Alternate!Cynthia in the DLC Future Past map, Alternate!Cynthia will politely refuse the sweets he offers her... but only because she wants to eat said candy after the fight is over, since she remembers how her now dead actual father used to give her candy as prize for doing good things.
- In The Order of the Stick the Monster in the Darkness claims to have eaten all the mint thins from some girl scout cookies because.
Monster in the Darkness: "Sometimes I eat to fill the loneliness..."
- According to Wapsi Square, pizza is the universal comfort food, even to the point where your demons won't bug you when you are eating it.
- In Housepets! The depressed dog Tiger frequently eats to comfort himself, to the point of eating disorder, His most frequent comfort food seems to be pizza, but he's also been seen noshing on other things like cookies as well.
Marvin: Within the past week, Tiger consumed 57,000 calories worth of pizza, soda, chips and other bagged fried food, ice cream, pasta, snack cakes and regular dog food.
- In a recent comic Tiger's owner tells him he needs to go on a diet.
- In Faux Pas After Cindy gets needled by the vet.
Cindy: So you get ice cream for seeing the vet?Randy: Sometimes. For special occasions. Eating too much ice cream would make you sick...And then it's back to the vet.Cindy: Then more ice cream?Randy: It's a vicious circle.
- On Sinfest the coffee house lady provides this to Orphantron.
- Never get between an Agent of the Protectors of the Plot Continuum and his/her/other/its chocolate or alcohol.
- The Nostalgia Chick stuffs herself with Subway and Dairy Queen when she's feeling depressed.
- The Nostalgia Critic likes all sorts of junk food, but enjoys the cookies and cream brand of Ben & Jerry when he's feeling low.
- Team Kimba of the Whateley Universe and Chou's Moon Pies. The rest of the team has their own comfort foods (Lancer's is pork rinds), but Phase is appalled by all of them since he has the refined palate of a food critic.
- In Homestar Runner, after his Lappy got swiped, Strong Bad gorged himself on various chips, which he claimed to be his anti-depressant.
- In both the book and the cartoon Where My Hat is At Homestar really needs a few Cold Ones when he fails to find his hat and thus can't play in the big game. Turns out his hat was between the milk and the Cold Ones
- In the Sbemail Bedtime Story The Cheat can't go to sleep without his security...item, and a big glass of Suddsu (Which is a glass of skim milk and gummy bears)
- In both the book and the cartoon Where My Hat is At Homestar really needs a few Cold Ones when he fails to find his hat and thus can't play in the big game. Turns out his hat was between the milk and the Cold Ones
- In Neopets the chips and gravy item is described 'The perfect comfort food for a cold windy day'.
- Although it is technically listed under 'medicine' not 'food' when your pet is suffering from Neoblues feeding them a Tasty Pie will instantly cheer them up, or you could use Steaming Green Tea from Shenkuu, either will work
- Global Guardians tough guy Stone fights off feelings of hopelessness when tragedy strikes by indulging in his love of Sabrett's hot dogs. Grilled, with onions, relish, and Memphis style barbecue sauce on a whole wheat bun, accompanied by a handful of Lay's barbecue potato chips, and an ice cold beer. If things are really bad, he's been known to down an entire pack of the things, one at a time.
- In Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! Norville 'Shaggy' Rogers constantly consumes massive amounts of sandwich and pizza, seemingly to sooth his jittery nerves, even going so far as to consciously seek out food when in immediate physical danger. He shares this trait with his dog.
- "Like, being in a constant state of terror makes us constantly hungry!"
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The turtles were ALWAYS craving pizza, Michelangelo in particular to the point that Fanon sometimes depicts him as having an eating disorder.
- In The Simpsons episode Scenes From a Class Struggle in Springfield, after Marge realizes she doesn't want to become a member of the Springfield Country Club, the family shares a meal at Krusty Burger. (In the DVD Commentary, the writers point out a Continuity Nod to Lisa Becomes a Vegetarian, as Lisa is only eating french fries in this scene).
- Care Bears: The Care Bear Cousin Treat Heart Pig seems to be the embodiment of this trope
- At the end of the episode The Great Race The Care Bears and Care Bear Cousins all treat themselves to ice cream after Lotsa Heart Elephant beats Beastly in the titular race.
- Another instance in the episode Home Sweet Homeless After the Forest of Feelings is flooded leaving the Care Bear Cousins homeless, the Care Bears console their cousins with hot cocoa.
- In the Wild Kratts episode A Bat in the Brownies everyone gushes over Jimmy Z's brownies which he boasts is his Grandma's recipe.
- Also in the same episode Koki (Who has been freaking out due to her fear of bats) really wanted some chocolate zucchini bread.
- Most people have a special treat that makes life a little more bearable. What that comfort food might be and why varies from person to person. One study determined that there are at least four categories of comfort food: nostalgic, indulgence, convenience and physical comfort. Another study also determined that males prefer warm, hearty meal-related comfort foods (such as steak or soup) while females prefer snack-related ones (like chocolate or ice cream).
- Nancy Reagan used to eat bananas in the middle of the night when she couldn't sleep.
- It is said that the poet W.H. Auden kept a bowl of cold potatoes by his bedside at night.
- Great chef and food writer James Beard found comfort in marshmallows. He didn't like to toast them, he just liked to eat them right out of the bag.
- M.F.K. Fisher wrote about the comfort foods of her friends: one enjoyed a baked potato with lots of butter, another preferred milk toast. Mrs. Fisher's comfort food was canned tomato soup. She had a even special pitcher from which to drink it.
- Psychologist Dr. Joyce Brothers finds comfort in floating islands. (Floating Islands are a dessert, meringues sailing on a sea of custard)
- The Italian dessert tiramisù was often given to recovering patients. "Tirami sù" means "Pull me up" (or, less literally, "Cheer me up") in Italian.
- What people on death row tend to pick as their last meal.
- Individuals with Bulimia will often select comfort food while on an eating binge. This is because for many people Bulimia is an unhealthy reaction to stress, depression, and feelings of helplessness. Binging provides a sense of comfort and security for many people, so selecting comfort food is a rather natural choice. Ice cream is especially popular, in part because it... Erm.... "comes up" smooth.
- Studies have shown that sugars and fats provide a dopamine rush...and that the parts of the brain that respond to this are exactly the same ones that respond when "sugars and fats" are replaced with drugs and alcohol. In fact, dieting causes a withdrawal-like response!