A radio sitcom for The BBC
. It follows the exploits of cookery writer Damien Trench (Miles Jupp), who writes with a serene eloquence about expensive food. However, his life is in contrast with his serene writings, as Damien is neurotic and anxious.
Damien lives with his partner Anthony (Justin Edwards). They are currently having building work done by their wise Irish builder, Mr Malaney, and his assistant Steven.
Damien has a love/hate relationship with his agent Ian, who often calls to make demands of Damien.
The show contains the following tropes:
- Affectionate Parody - Of lifestyle/cookery writers in general, Nigel Slater in particular.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other - For all that they bicker, Damien concedes that he is "extremely lucky" to have Anthony.
- British Brevity - So far three radio series. There is a TV series in the works.
- Comfort Food: Of various types. Anthony in particular has responded to stress or disappointment by ingesting heroic quantities of cheese, chocolate and stir fry.
- Comical Overreacting: Damien suffers from panic attacks which, realistically, barely need anything to set them off.
- Diet Episode - Anthony goes on a diet, and Damien gets so enraged about faddy diets that he makes an enemy of a Gillian McKeith expy.
- Food Porn - A parody of that sort of writing.
- Hideous Hangover Cure: Made by Damien in the first episode after a boisterous New Year's Eve party.
- Motor Mouth: Damien's mother (and Damien himself, to a lesser extent).
- Opposites Attract - Damien is the creative, Anthony is the more practical, science-orientated one. However, they both share the same snobby tastes.
- Sound to Screen Adaptation - A TV series is in the works.
- Real Men Cook - Both Damien and Anthony are good at cooking.