open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- After having a minor squabble with Sae, Hiro of Hidamari Sketch (pictured above) goes on a binge eating tons of food from cake and donuts to curry, always with a "><" on her face and constantly saying things "Stupid Sae"...Les Yay? Of course not.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica Kyoko goes off on a binge after she loses an argument with Sayaka. In a variant of this, it's also implied that her Big Eater tendencies are a coping mechanism for her Dark and Troubled Past; namely, her family starving after her priest father got excommunicated, and later his killing the rest of her family and himself after finding out about Kyoko's contract.
- Usagi tends to do this in the first anime of Sailor Moon, usually after fights with Mamoru. Not so much in the manga.
- Fresh Pretty Cure!: After realizing that Miki already has a boyfriend and his hundredth defeat in attempting to ask her out, Yuuki goes on a binge of donuts while crying. As he puts it to the clerk "If it's gonna be like that, I'll just stuff my face. Old man, give'em to me nonstop!".
- Midora from Toriko takes this trope to a massive villainous level. He became a Villainous Glutton with a huge appetite in order to cope with the lose of Frohze.
- Magi – Labyrinth of Magic:
- Played for laughs as both Aladdin and Alibaba after the events of the Balbadd arc did this for months to the point they became grossly overweight. In Aladdin's case, Morgiana and Ja'far spoiled him rotten with treats so he wouldn't have to think about Ugo's death.
- In the Alma Torran flashback, Sheba aggressively ate everything at the table after she saw her Precocious Crush Solomon having a close moment with who she believed was her rival Arba. Her son Aladdin happened to share this trait.
- One Star Ocean EX has Rena do this in a panic after she mistakenly thinks she saw Claude and Celine smooching.
- When Kanou from Nurse Angel Ririka SOS began spending time with Miyuki, Ririka became mad. She ended up eating five crepes in one sitting. Her friends only watched in astonishment.
Films - Animation
- In Shrek 2, this is a Running Gag with Fairy Godmother.
A diet is ruined! I hope you're happy.
- Hiro and Tadashi's Aunt Cass does this in Big Hero 6 when she berates the two of them ending up in jail because of Hiro's bot fighting.
Cass: (angrily eating a donut) Stress eating, because of you! Mmm, this is really good...
Live Action TV
- Leo Knox from The Finder is this. Before the series he had gained weight after the death of his wife and daughter, but had lost a lot of weight with the help of Walter, but he reaches for junk food when dealing with emotions. This is especially evident in "The Conversation" where the gang is helping a family that reminds Leo of his own family. Leo at first denies that what he is eating is connected to his emotions.
Sometimes a ding dong is just a ding dong.
- In the show Pushing Daisies, Olive "stress-binged" on the pies that Ned "stress-baked".
- You can tell Jack Donaghy of 30 Rock is stressed when he starts binging like crazy.
- Ugly Betty: When faced with big stressors, e.g. the possibility of losing her job, Amanda Tanen can clean a pan of a flan in a matter of minutes. The discovery that she is adopted, and the now deceased Fey Sommers is her real mother, and her father is unknown causes her to pack on plot relevant pounds between Seasons 1 and 2.
- In Frasier, Daphne's dramatic weight gain (in reality the result of actress Jane Leeves' pregnancy) was attributed in-universe to stress-eating caused by her anxiety at trying to live up to Niles' lofty expectations.
- On Saturday Night Live, recurring character, Stuart Smalley, in one of his final appearances on the show, is hosting his show, "Daily Affirmation with Stuart Smalley", but he can't get through it because he's depressed over his movie, Stuart Saves His Family tanking at the box office despite glowing reviews from critics. He instead, spends the sketch binge eating a variety of Pepperidge Farm cookies, and chewing out the audience for not watching his movie.
- At the end of the beach trip in Mega Man Star Force 3, Geo has time to save only one of his friend's possessions from being lost. Since two of them belong to Sonia and Luna, the one whose item you didn't retrieve (or both if you picked Bud's) will indulge in this.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: In "Inspiration Manifestation", Rarity engages in this after the puppet theater she creates is harshly criticized. She's later seen crying on her fainting couch, devouring an absurd amount of ice cream.
- In the first season of The Legend of Korra, after Bolin catches Korra, his crush, kissing Mako, his brother, he runs away crying, and is later found in a noodle restaurant, slurring and nearly comatose after stuffing his face for hours.
- A lot of people suffer from this as an outlet for emotional distress, the equivalent for other people that is smoking and or drinking.
- In clinical terms, frequent use of this behavior as a coping mechanism can be called Binge Eating Disorder or Bulimia Nervosa. Frequent overeating can also satisfy the self-destructive criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder.