People do things that help them lower stress and try to forget after a hard day. Sometimes people try to drink their problems away. Others try to eat their bodyweight in ice cream. This type of behavior is a fairly common coping mechanism in both fiction and Real Life
. This usually takes place after a fight with a loved one or some other type of high level emotional distress, usually while lamenting about who or what is bothering them.
Compare Heartbreak and Ice Cream
, Comfort Food
and the alcoholic equivalent Drowning My Sorrows
. Many of these characters experience Weight Woe
due to this. It also may lead to Formerly Fit
Anime & Manga
- After having a minor squabble with Sae, Hiro of Hidamari Sketch (pictured above) goes on a binge eating tons of food from cake and donuts to curry, always with a "><" on her face and constantly saying things "Stupid Sae"...Les Yay? Of course not.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica Kyoko goes off on a binge after she loses an argument with Sayaka. In a variant of this, it's also implied that her Big Eater tendencies are a coping mechanism for her Dark and Troubled Past; namely, her family starving after her priest father got excommunicated, and later his killing the rest of her family and himself after finding out about Kyoko's contract.
- Usagi tends to do this in the first anime of Sailor Moon, usually after fights with Mamoru. Not so much in the manga.
- Fresh Pretty Cure!: After realizing that Miki already has a boyfriend and his hundredth defeat in attempting to ask her out, Yuuki goes on a binge of donuts while crying. As he puts it to the clerk "If it's gonna be like that, I'll just stuff my face. Old man, give'em to me nonstop!".
- Midora from Toriko takes this trope to a massive villainous level. He became a Villainous Glutton with a huge appetite in order to cope with the lose of Frohze.
- Magi – Labyrinth of Magic:
- Played for laughs as both Aladdin and Alibaba after the events of the Balbadd arc did this for months to the point they became grossly overweight. In Aladdin's case, Morgiana and Ja'far spoiled him rotten with treats so he wouldn't have to think about Ugo's death.
- In the Alma Torran flashback, Sheba aggressively ate everything at the table after she saw her Precocious Crush Solomon having a close moment with who she believed was her rival Arba. Her son Aladdin happened to share this trait.
- One Star Ocean EX has Rena do this in a panic after she mistakenly thinks she saw Claude and Celine smooching.
- When Kanou from Nurse Angel Ririka SOS begins spending time with Miyuki, Ririka became mad. She ended up eating five crepes in one sitting. He friends only watched in astonishment.
- In The Muppets episode "Swine Song", Kermit says that stress over the future of the show has given him butterflies in his stomach ... then clarifies that when he's stressed he eats butterflies.
- At the end of the beach trip in Mega Man Star Force 3, Geo has time to save only one of his friend's possessions from being lost. Since two of them belong to Sonia and Luna, the one whose item you didn't retrieve (or both if you picked Bud's) will indulge in this.
- A lot of people suffer from this as an outlet for emotional distress, the equivalent for other people that is smoking and or drinking.
- In clinical terms, frequent use of this behavior as a coping mechanism can be called Binge Eating Disorder or Bulimia Nervosa. Frequent overeating can also satisfy the self-destructive criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder.