There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
Tastes great, better filling! Sandwiches of one kind or another have been the Trademark Favorite Foods
of many characters.
Occasionally characters may comment on its simplicity, use wacky ingredients, or overstuff their sandwiches
, but it's all the same basic food item.
With the aid of a handy logical fallacy
, one can prove that a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness: nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is better than nothing.
Also see Dagwood Sandwich
. See also Inherently Funny Words
, Wasteful Wishing
, as a common part of that trope is the character wishing for a sandwich. When provided as a health item or powerup in videogames, see Hyperactive Metabolism
and Power-Up Food
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Bone: Smiley Bone thinks the most beautiful sound in the world is a sandwich being born.
- In Star Trek, Scotty's first response to meeting Spock Prime is "You're from the future? That's brilliant. Do they have sandwiches there?" (Already established is the lack of sandwiches in Scotty's vicinity, since he works on an ice moon in the middle of nowhere and nobody's bothered to send food in some time.)
- In Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs the first thing Flint has the FLDSMDFR make is a cheeseburger, which ends up being a shower of cheeseburgers that kicks off the plot. Later, when the mayor asks him to "do lunch," he makes it rain sandwiches, and during the Perfect Food Storm, the Eiffel Tower becomes a toothpick for a giant BLT.
- In Troll 2, Joshua eats a double-decker bologna sandwich and so becomes powerful enough to defeat Creedence and the goblins.
- Subverted in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (The Movie), when Harry asks Ron on the train if he'd like anything from the trolley. His expression and tone of voice when he pulls out his squashed corned beef sandwich and says "I'm set" is priceless.
- In Zathura when the stranded astronaut arrives in Danny and Walter's house, one of the first things he does is make himself a sandwich.
- The gamer kid in Gamer is introduced spreading green stuff onto bread and making a sandwich out of it before kicking ass in his video game. Later he recommends the "pistachio butter sandwiches" to some police.
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- In Mostly Harmless, Arthur has an existential crisis where, among other things, he faces the depressing fact that about the only thing he's any good at is making sandwiches. After Arthur's ship crash-lands on Lamuella, stranding him there among the bronze-age inhabitants, he ends up becoming a tribe's Sandwich Maker. The book spends three solid pages of a ten-page chapter describing how this is an exalted position, and Arthur's unparalleled skill at making sandwiches is regarded as literally divine, and he actually gets more respect than the village chief.
- Subverted, though, in another Hitchhiker book, when Douglas Adams takes up a good chunk of narration explaining that the English eat sandwiches (specifically, the sort of sandwiches you get in pubs and British Rail buffet cars) to atone for their collective sins.
- After Harry Potter saves the world and has closure with Dumbledore, he just wants to go up to his bed and wonders if Kreacher will bring him a sandwich there.
- In A Wrinkle in Time, one of the first things Mrs. W does when she visits Meg's home is to ask for a tuna salad sandwich. Though Meg isn't exactly thrilled that a complete stranger just arrived uninvited, she nonetheless makes the sandwich and even adds some diced sweet pickle.
- In Discworld, Vimes likes bacon sandwiches, with lots of extra-crisp bacon and as little lettuce and tomato as he can get away with. (A wizard in Unseen Academicals also liked bacon sandwiches enough to ask the Cabinet of Curiosity for one. This was a really bad idea.)
- Roland, of The Dark Tower series, is a big fan of "tooter fish" (tuna fish) sandwiches and soda after starving in the desert for a few days. Hot dogs are still only tolerable.
Live Action TV
- Although Joey from Friends was always a Big Eater, the episode with the trivia contest confirmed that his favorite food is "sandwiches". Other episodes have people distracting him with specifically a meatball sandwich.
- In "TOW The Ride Along", when the boys think they hear a gunshot, Joey covers Ross instinctively, which bothers Chandler. At the end of the episode, Joey reassures him that he wasn't protecting Ross over Chandler: he was protecting the sub sandwich he bought in an earlier scene.
- Wilder from The Latest Buzz was obsessed with creating the perfect sandwich.
- Horne Brothers in Twin Peaks!
- In one Monty Python's Flying Circus linking animation, a bacon, lettuce, Michelangelo's Adam and tomato sandwich is constructed.
- Nothing would make El Chavo happier than a torta de jamón (ham sandwich).
- Per Bob King:
Sandwiches are beautiful,
Sandwiches are fine.
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time;
I eat them for my supper and I eat them for my lunch;
If I had a hundred sandwiches, I'd eat them all at once.
- Fred Penner and the crowd at the The Pit Pub would agree.
- Sandwich, sandwich, I'm in love with you...
- The Trademark Favorite Food of Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes is tuna sandwiches (Watterson established that fact in the very first daily strip of the comic).
- In one strip, Calvin asks Hobbes what he'd wish for if he could have anything in the world. Hobbes says, "A sandwich." Calvin accuses him of being unimaginative: he'd wish for "a trillion billion dollars, my own space shuttle, and a private continent!" Hobbes may not be all that creative, but at least he gets his wish.
- Blondie has the tall, multi-layered Dagwood sandwiches.
- Popeye The Sailor: Wimpy will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
- In one week-long series of Peanuts strips, Charlie Brown ran out of dog foot, so he made Snoopy a really big hoagie that took him the whole week to eat (which he finished on the strip that ran on Christmas Day, where he left the crumbs for the birds, using them to spell out "Merry Christmas"). In one of the six strips, he goaded the mean cat next door, saying that if he came near him again, "I'll hit you with my sandwich!" And in another one, he was dozing, and then heard footsteps, and then saw Woodstock when he opened his eyes. "I knew I heard someone walking on my sandwich!" he mused.
- The Sandvich in Team Fortress 2 is an unlockable edible device for the Heavy. He must forsake having a secondary weapon to carry it, and must stand still and vulnerable for four seconds as he eats it with a hearty OM NOM NOM, but its delicious lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, meat and triangular slices of bread will give him a healing boost of up to 300 HP.
- The NES game Dragon Power, an old Macekre of the very first Dragon Ball home game, replaced Master Roshi's demand for underwear with one for sandwiches.
- Earthworm Jim 2 has the sandwich item, which bumps Jim's HP up to 200%.
- Not just any sandwich, it's a chip butty; a British sandwich made with chips (fries) and butter.
- Ever17. All food the characters can find is chicken sandwiches. Moar chicken sandwiches, nothing but chicken sandwiches!note Subverted when the Kid finally gets sick of eating nothing but sandwiches.
- Commander Keen : Aliens Ate My Babysitter! has a titanic floral obstacle with snapjaws and the biting of the people of the OH FLAYVEN, and Blaskowitz has to find him a similar sized, being titanic, sandwich in order to feed him and get the past of the plant creature you know of the being.
- An interesting side note, Commander Keen calls it "the second biggest sandwich he's ever seen" once he picks it up. Just where did he see a bigger one?
- Castle Crashers has sandwiches as a powerup item, which don't restore any health, but instead make you beefier for a short time.
- Village Bridge from Pokémon Black and White has a mini-game where the player character receives orders from customers and delivers berry sandwiches to them for a local baker.
- Kingdom of Loathing:
- The game has a number of sandwich-based food items available, from the humble Spam Witch sammich (dropped by Spam Witches in the Vallyey of Rof'lm'fao) to the sandwich of the gods (available as a reward from Fernswarthy's Basement).
- Players under the Avatar of Boris path can learn the skill "Demand Sandwich", because apparently Boris could demand sandwiches, "and somebody would do it, if somebody knew what was good for somebody". Should you become in tune with Boris enough (by learning all of his skills), you can permanently learn the skill "Request Sandwich" on completing the run, which doesn't have as high a success rate (because you aren't quite as... persuasive as Boris was), but can be used in almost any run.
- Players under the Avatar of Jarlsberg path, with access to the Supreme Chef skills of the original Chef-Magus of the Kingdom of Loathing, can learn to prepare a variety of foods including no less than four sandwiches (immaculate grilled cheese, immaculate egg salad sandwich, the perfect sandwich, and the Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich).
- Inverted in Final Fight 3. A sandwich pickup fills less of the health bar than even a bottle of cola, and is unquestionably the worst health pickup in the game.
- The Onion has reported on sandwich innovations such as Pfizer's Hoagizine, a turkey-bacon-guacamole-lettuce-tomato sandwich so delicious you need a doctor's prescription to consume it, and Arby's Beef 'N' Bacon sandwich, which disappointed the fast-food chain being "merely 'good.'"
- In the ninth season of Tech Infantry, William Bishop eats quite a few sandwiches, to the point that it became a Running Gag.