Known in Japan as Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
(and given the non-literal English title of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
), Sailor Moon
is a multimedia franchise that fused the Sentai
and Magical Girl
genres. The series started as a manga and was later adapted into an anime. Created by pharmacist-turned-manga author Naoko Takeuchi
, Sailor Moon
lasted for five seasons, three motion pictures, and a number of TV specials, becoming its own cottage industry in the process.
Works this franchise includes:
- Sailor Moon: What you're probably looking for. The Magical Girl manga and anime from The Nineties.
- Codename: Sailor V: Features Minako as the title character before she was Sailor Venus. Vaguely in continuity within different Sailor Moon adaptations, the manga started as a prototype then became a prequel to the original Sailor Moon.
- Sera Myu: A series of musicals, often heavily deviating from the source material.
- Sailor Moon: Another Story: A computer RPG based on the first anime (but with manga elements), taking place after the S season.
- Toon Makers Sailor Moon: An aborted American live action/animation blend adaption by a company called Toon Makers.
- Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: A 2003 Toku live-action adaptation and retelling of the first major arc, with more obvious J-drama overtones.
- Sailor Moon Crystal: A 26-episode ONA announced in 2012, which began airing in July 2014. This anime's aim is to much more faithfully adapt the original manga.