The knight gets paid in stock options.
Urban Fantasy, also sometimes called "Modern Fantasy", is a genre that combines common fantasy
conventions with a modern settingnote
The name "Urban Fantasy" is sometimes taken to imply that all works in the genre must take place in a large city, but this is not the case. Rather, the name implies throwing fantasy elements into our urban
society. Still, it's very common for Urban Fantasy
stories to take place in a large, well-known city, all the easier for their fantasy elements to hide themselves in.
As a genre, Urban Fantasy
is sometimes seen as more accessible to the average reader than the Medieval European Fantasy
due to the Like Reality Unless Noted
nature of it, and the fact that modern settings are familiar to readers whereas the medieval era is something that modern readers may have trouble relating to. The exact cut off date for what falls under Urban Fantasy
is fuzzy, as the works which most commonly get this label applied to them feature settings in the present day, but works taking place as far back as the Victorian Era
are generally included. Works taking place more than ten to twenty years in the future however, are not.
Urban Fantasies almost always take place on Earth, rather than a Constructed World
, or if not on Earth then in a place so close as to make little difference. Alternate History
is common, incorporating Fantasy elements into real historical events, with humans living alongside magic, though if this isn't done there is usually a Masquerade
, implying that witches, elves and fairies live along side us, just in hiding. In such stories, The Unmasqued World
is a common plotline. Another common convention used in Urban Fantasy
is to suggest that at one point the world resembled a Medieval European Fantasy
but The Magic Goes Away
, and in the present The Magic Comes Back
and now humans have to adjust to it.
often crosses paths with a number of genres, including Alternate History
, Dungeon Punk
, Gothic Punk
, Magical Realism
, Paranormal Romance
, Paranormal Investigation
, Supernatural Fiction
and Supernatural Thriller
. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whether a work qualifies, but generally speaking Urban Fantasy
is known for showing the impact of modern society on the fantasy elements included in it. Elves carry guns, witches use microwaves and Leprechauns work at the bank. It takes more than tossing in the odd vampire
solely for the fear-factor to truly apply.
, Supernatural Soap Opera
and Historical Fantasy
are notable sub genres. Urban Fantasy
is itself a subgenre of Speculative Fiction
, specifically Fantasy
. Many works that throw mystery-genre elements into the mix also rate as Fantastic Noir
. Most of the Vampire Fiction
published in recent times falls under this genre, whereas in the past it followed the conventions of Horror
. Urban Fantasy
is often considered the fantasy equivalent of Twenty Minutes into the Future
If you want to know how to write an Urban Fantasy
, please visit the Write An Urban Fantasy
If you want to see a list of common tropes of this genre, see Urban Fantasy Tropes
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Arcana Heart
- Banzai Pecan
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
- Devil May Cry
- Eternal Darkness
- First Encounter Assault Recon
- July Anarchy
- MOTHER 1 (EarthBound Zero)
- MOTHER 3 is a deconstruction, where the idyllic, simple Tazmily Village is corrupted into urban trappings, making the former villagers less friendly than they were before.
- Nexus Clash, although players can also visit the home planes of the various supernatural forces that have converged on our world, where this trope doesn't apply as much.
- Power Gig: Rise of the SixString
- Phantom Breaker
- Sakura Note: Ima ni Tsunagaru Mirai
- The Secret World
- Shadow Realms, partly (there are also sections on another world).
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Shin Megami Tensei I, but only in the first third of the game. Afterwards it segues into an After the End setting.
- Shin Megami Tensei If
- Shin Megami Tensei IV, but only a third of the way into the game. Before that, it exists in a Schizo Tech Medieval setting
- Catherine, A story about a town where men's dreams are being invaded by a succubus
- Devil Survivor, deals with the aftermath of a demon attack which leaves an entire city isolated from the rest of the world. The player character has a device which can tell when any other device holder will die, thus giving the means to prevent said deaths.
- Devil Survivor 2
- Persona, a hospital is transformed into a demon filled labyrinth, and only a small group of high school kids can rescue their friend, thanks to the manifestation of their own psyche
- Persona 2, in Sumaru City, a mysterious individual named JOKER seems to have made rumors into reality. All hell breaks loose.
- Persona 3, a young student with the ability to perceive a moment in time called the Dark Hour gets caught up with a school club filled with individuals who can do the same in order to stop the destruction of the human race.
- Persona 4, a young student and his new friends get caught up in a grizzly murder case when it is discovered that the culprit is using a supernatural realm that can be accessed via television as his murder weapon.
- Persona 4 Arena
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
- Persona 5
- Devil Summoner
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Street Fighter
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
- White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
- The Wolf Among Us
- The World Ends with You