Nightmare Fuel: Sailor Moon
may be a series about girls with magical planetary powers, but that doesn't stop some pretty disturbing things from popping up.
In the name of the moon, spoilers below!
- Usagi hallucinating Mamoru's rotting skeleton.
- In the SuperS arc, the main villain Queen Nehelenia forces everyone to have nightmares. Sailor Venus dreams that she finds Sailor Moon's skeleton with decomposing skin still clinging on.
- In the second arc, Koan from the Black Moon Clan sets a little girl on fire for no reason. If that wasn't bad enough, the charred corpse was actually left lying there for anyone to see.
- The first monster Usagi fights, which is downright hideous, and it's not helped by the fact that she kills the thing by cutting its head off.
- The Big Bad of each arc, except Galaxia, who looks like normal human, and Chaos, since we don't see much of it:
- Queen Metalia, shown here, is basically a living Nightmare Face made of darkness.
- Death Phantom, in addition the Grim Reaper getup he has in the anime, has the true form of Eldritch Abomination that's also a living planet.
- The Death Busters are on the whole pure Nightmare Fuel. In the anime, their common monsters, the daimons, turned their victims into goofy monsters that were mostly harmless after their first appearances. In the manga, they are best described as massive lumps of flesh with no bones that can inhabitant any or anything. Departing from the series usual Evil Is Sexy trend, everything the Senshi fight this arc is like that. Pharaoh 90 is basically a giant one of those.
- Lighter than the above examples, Nehellenia's true form is an insect-like Humanoid Abomination.
- Hotaru's cybernetic limbs, which look like they were taken from Terminator, with what we see of them appearing to be wiring and metal covered by synthetic skin.
- Mistress 9's true form in the manga. Her appearance that most fans remember is when she's possessed Hotaru's body and caused it to age into an adult, but her true form is a Humanoid Abomination, seen here, and her bursting out of Hotaru's body also seems to be blood when she does it.
- The dungeon Sailors Mars, Mercury and Jupiter are imprisoned in after being kidnapped by the Black Moon Clan. It's full of rotting corpses.
- From R movie:
- The scene where the first of Fiore's "experiments" take place. The People Puppets scene is one of the creepiest scenes in the movie.
- The part where Minako is bending over an energy drained person's body and the person grabs her ankle without any warning whatsoever in a Jump Scare!
- The Kisenian Flower is as creepy as heck, and Fiore wasn't much better. I mean, the guy wanted to perform a Colony Drop on the Earth just to spite Sailor Moon!
- Fiore's Villainous Breakdown, where he announces his plan to crash the asteroid into the Earth, all while his eyes are glowing red.
Fiore: I won't let anyone take Mamoru from me.
- The scene where Fiore sucks Sailor Moon's energy. Not helped by the creepy music and Usagi screaming in pain as Fiore gives her a "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- From S movie:
- ''The Snow Dancers''. Minions to Snow Queen Kaguya, they don't speak so much as shriek.
- The attack on the city, which features such lovely gems as people being frozen alive by the Dancers, all while accompanied by ominous music.
- The scene where the Inner Senshi (minus Sailor Moon) think they destroyed a Snow Dancer, only for said Dancer to sit up missing half of its face and both arms, and comes charging at them.
- One scene doesn't even feature violence and is still creepy: a scene where one of the Snow Dancers turns to look at the Inners. Just a look and nothing else. And it's still scary.
- The Snow Queen herself. She wants Earth for her own collection, meaning she's done this to goodness knows how many other planets. And she wants us next.
- The fact that the Snow Queen and Queen Badiyane from the SuperS movie below are two of the most horrifying villains in the franchise. How: while other villains merely want to destroy the earth and/or Sailor Moon, these villians both believe in a perfect, orderly world. They are the only two villains that could be classified as KnightTemplars.
- From SuperS movie:
- The Adult Fear present in Badiyane's plan. Imagine being a parent and losing your child. Now imagine that your child was kidnapped to be used in something that would *kill him/her*, and you have her plot in a nutshell.
- This movie manages to make good use of Soundtrack Dissonance with the song "Sajin no Yousei" playing whenever Badiyane's minions kidnap children.
- The scene when the Senshi confront Populein while he's playing his flute and the children are walking towards the gondola. He stops, and the children all collapse without warning.
- The Puppyots, which take Creepy Child and Uncanny Valley Up to Eleven by being babies made of candy that explode when destroyed.
- This exchange:
Usagi: "Give us back Chibi-Usa and the children!"
Populein: "Chibi-Usa? Oh, that little girl... Madam Badiyane likes her very much."
- Queen Metalia, from what we've seen of her so far in the opening, she's now designed more faithfully to the manga.