Western Animation: Stoked
Fin: Okay, I have a toast! Maybe our jobs kind of suck-
Reef: And our boss is a total dork!
Uh huh, yeah! But the waves are awesome, and the beach is beautiful. And this summer is seriously gonna be fun. To Surfer's Paradise!
—Stoked, "Another Grom Bites The Dust"
is an animated
Canadian TV series. It was produced by Tom McGillis, the creator of Sixteen
and Total Drama
. It premiered on Teletoon
in June 25th, 2009. It is airing on Cartoon Network
in the United States, and ABC3
in Australia. It is produced by Fresh TV
is a character-driven animated situational comedy about a group of groms who come together one summer on the legendary Sunset Island, B.C. to experience the ultimate surfer's dream - the endless summer! Emma, Reef and Fin join locals Broseph, Lo, her brothers George and Ty, and Johnny Front Desk Guy to work at the world-renowned Surfer's Paradise Ridgemount Resort, stoked to have the summer of their lives. What they find instead - the worst jobs ever, hideous uniforms, zero respect, a run-down staff house, and a tacky, fake, touristy resort. For twelve weeks, they'll spend their first summer away from home and work the hardest that they've ever worked in their lives, but, most importantly, they have the opportunity to SURF on their days off.
Here a Wiki
Contains examples of
- Acid Reflux Nightmare: Broseph has one in "The Reefinator".
- Actually Not a Vampire: "Grommy the Vampire Slayer" is all about this as Reef becomes convinced that three VIP Eastern European guests are vampires.
- All Women Love Shoes: Lo has an obsession with flip-flops. After Fin claims that Lo has 50 pairs of flip-flops, Lo tells her not to be ridiculous. She is not some spoiled brat. She only has 36 pairs.
- Almost Kiss: Reef and Fin Several times.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: George
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
Broseph: So Johnny has the keys to the whale bus. And Johnny totally has the hots for Emma. Are you thinking what I'm thinking, bro?
Reef: Yeah. I should get some smaller cut-outs made. You know, for the babes.
- Artistic License - Meteorology: In the episode "Clinging In The Rain", a massive storm hits the beach and floods Surfer's Paradise about twenty feet up. It would take at least a Category 3 hurricane to produce this kind of storm surge, the Pacific Northwest only sees Category 1 hurricanes once a century, it would be nearly impossible under current climactic conditions for a Category 3 hurricane to maintain its strength that far up the Pacific coast.
- Attractive Bent-Gender" Reef as "Sandy Beaches" in the episode "Mr. Wahine". He disguises himself as a girl so that he can compete against Fin in a surf contest, and ends up being crushed on by the manager of the hotel. Hilarity Ensues.
- Bad Job, Worse Uniform" the waitresses in the resort dining room have to wear pirate wench outfits.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: In "Heartbreak Hotel", when the guys allow Fin to join them on their guys-only weekend, they quickly find that she is One of the Boys to such an extent that even they find her too much to put up with. In response, they begin acting excessively girly, and start doing things like knitting, gossiping, and tea parties. This is of course too much for Fin to put up with, so she leaves them alone and they can finally go enjoy themselves the way they want.
- Better as Friends: Emma with both Johnny and Ripper.
- Betty and Veronica: Johnny and Ty for Emma, with Ripper briefly filling in for Emma's Third-Option Love Interest.
- Arguably Fin and Lo for Reef in the second season. But which one is the Betty and which one is the Veronica is up to the viewer.
- Big Eater: Fin cleans out an entire mini-fridge in "Slumber Party Animals".
- Black Best Friend: Johnny.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Fin, Lo, and Emma respectively.
- Broseph, Johnny, and Reef also.
- Brain Bleach: Occurs in-universe for everyone who gets to see too much of the nudist male Bavarian twins.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Todd and Mark Marvin, and Erica and Brianna. George is slightly older, but still acts like one to his older sister Lo.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In one episode Lo and Emma get on Fin's case about her interest in Reef. Whenever one says something they appear in splitscreen with Fin who denies it and physically shoves their frame offscreen.
- Burger Fool: The waitresses in the resort restuarant have to dress in pirate wench costumes.
- Burping Contest: In "Brofinger", between Fin, Johnny, and surprisingly Lo. Later Reef joins in.
- Butt Monkey: Wipeout the mascot, and Johnny front desk guy.
- Casanova Wannabe: Reef
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Lo becomes this regarding Reef in season two.
- Companion Cube: Broseph and a hunk of Ambergris (Whale vomit) in the episode "All We Are Saying is Give Reef a Chance" He names it Carl.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Fin and Broseph.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Kelly.
- Defenestrate and Berate: Happens when the staff go on strike and Bummer locks them out of the staff house. The staff not on strike dump their belongings on them from the balcony.
- Don't Tell Mama: In "A Prank Too Far", the groms were tricked into thinking they accidentally killed Bummer. When it seemed they'd be arrested, Reef begged them not to tell his mother.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Lo and to a lesser extent, Fin towards Reef.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Johnny.
- Eat the Evidence: Lo attempts to do this, but spits out the piece of paper she tried to eat because she didn't like the taste.
- Egopolis: Reeftopia
- Embarrassing Slide: In "Grommy the Vampire Slayer", Reef is trying to convince Fin and Emma that the new guests are vampires by showing them a series of photos on his digital camera. In the middle of them is a shot of Fin in her bikini. Reef immediately claims that someone else must have borrowed his camera.
- Erudite Stoner: Kahuna
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Snack Shack
- Everything's Satiating With Sandwiches: Broseph
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks
- Expressive Hair: Wipeout, The guy in the orca costume's dorsal fin. It hilariously sags when he realizes he's been left behind.
- Expy: The whole show is basically 6teen taking place at the beach.
- Reef = Jonesy
- Johnny = Wyatt
- Broseph = Jude
- Fin = Nikki
- Emma = Jen
- Lo = Caitlin
- And many others.
- Face Doodling: Reef does this Ripper and No-Pants Lance while they are passed out.
- The Faceless: Mr. Ridgemount
- Also Wipeout, who is never seen outside of his mascot costume.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Any of Lo's schemes to get in good with her dad.
- Fallen Princess: Lo
- Flower in Her Hair: Lo
- Five-Man Band:
- Gasshole/Meaningful Name: Ripper
- Broseph, Reef and Fin are all belch variants.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Are you kidding me? This is by the people who created 6teen and the Total Drama series, what do YOU think?! Most notably, they parodied the term "MILF" in a recent episode, with Fin calling Reef's mom a "MILS", meaning "Mom I'd Like to Surf With". Reef's Mom then says "Oh..awkward.."
- In Episode 9, after seeing a photo of Reef accidentally flashing some tourists, Fin said "funny, I though it was warmer this morning..."
- From "Sweet Sweet Meat Cheat", when Fin comments on Lo's threat to Reef to either give up meat or end up dating his own hand for the rest of the summer: "Yeah, you can go on a double date with Johnny and HIS hand."
- From "Boards of Glory", Fin asks Reef and Broseph, "Which one of you wants to be the girl?"
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: In the episode "Dirty Little Secret, Nerdy Little Secrets" and the episode "All We Are Saying is Give Reef a Chance". Both examples with Emma.
- Greek Chorus: Sonny the Yellow Tang and Buster the Shark
- Groin Attack: Happens at least once in every episode.
- Hairy Hammerspace: Broseph's afro
- Hartman Hips: Most of the girls, but Fin gets a good mention, especially during her hula dance in "Reef, Broseph and Emmas Totally Stupid Adventure".
- Heroes Want Redheads: Fin tends to talk and act like she hates Reef, but she actually likes him.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Ripper and No-Pants Lance
- Hotel Hellion
- I Call It "Vera": Broseph's long board is called Angelina.
- The Inspector Is Coming: "The Very Very Very Very Very Important Guest" is about the resort expecting the arrival of a well-known hotel reviewer.
- Jerkass: The senior staff members, excluding Johnny.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bummer, after he thanks Johnny for yelling at a couple with a pair of bratty kids.
- It's implied that everyone working at the resort who acts like a jerk pretty much does so only because their jobs are so stressful.
- This was confirmed in "Endless Bummer", when Bummer is seen to be so stressed out from the rigors of his job that he breaks down crying, leading to the groms helping him deal with his stress. After the resultant We Want Our Jerk Back storyline, Bummer returns to his normal strict self, though he gets another heart of gold moment when he sincerely thanks the groms for helping him get over his stress.
- Averted, however, with Kelly. At the start of the series it was implied that she was only a jerk because she was mad at Lo for being so spoiled and bratty, but as things panned out later on she proved to be pretty much a Jerk Ass, with only a single moment of caring about Emma's well-being in "Penthouse Of Horror" implying otherwise.
- Kick the Dog: Kelly, Lo and Emma's superior, strangles a cockatoo when it repeats what Lo said about her wearing too much make up.
- And she starts dating Ty just to get in on his family's money.
- Know Your Vines: Reef picks wildflowers for Fin and leaves them on her bed. Unfortunately, there is poison ivy mixed in with the flowers.
- Large Ham: Bummer: If I had a WEEK!!!
- Last Minute Hookup: Broseph and Lo in the episode "Grom Fest" at least according to Lo.
- The Law of Conservation of Detail: One episode featured the Ridgemounts (minus Lo) planning a trip to Thailand and one of Lo's friends recorded on Smartphone what she thought of them for that. Later, they record evidence that Lo's big brother's girlfriend was a Gold Digger. Guess what Lo showed her family.
- Laxative Prank: During the strike episode, Bummer has Wipeout feed the strikers laxative laced donuts.
- Line-of-Sight Name: When Reef was dressed as a girl and got asked to enter a female surf contest. When asked for his name, he looked at the sand he was standing on and came up with "Sandy... Beaches".
- Loophole Abuse: In "Boards of Glory", Reef and Broseph compete in the tandem surf competition after Lo discovers that there is nothing the rules that specifies that the pair must be male and female.
- Magic Feather: the 'magic' board shorts in "Boardy Brotherhood".
- Mind Your Step:
"And watch out for the third step. It's kinda -" *crunch* "- busted."
- Mistaken for Cheating: Happens to Reef in "Sweet, Sweet Meat Cheat". Fin overhears Reef make a comment about cheating on Lo and assumes the worse. He is actually 'cheating' on the vegetarian diet she put him on by eating franks.
- Mistaken for Special Guest: One episode featured this. Most of it focused on the resort staff trying to redeem themselves in front of the real special guest.
- Na´ve Everygirl: Emma.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Reef, Fin, and Emma to the Ridgemount Resort. Emma to surfing.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The Kahuna is clearly a PG-rated version of the Dude.
- Not in Front of the Parrot: Lo's plans for ditching work are spoiled by the restuarant's cockatoo.
- Oblivious to Love: Johnny's crushing on Emma (who doesn't notice) who's crushing on Lo's brother, Ty (who doesn't notice).
- Of Corpse He's Alive: "A Prank Too Far"
- Official Couple: As of the second episode of season two, Reef/Lo.
- Potty Emergency: Wipeout in the episode where the groms from a union.
- Emma gets a case of this in Episode 8 when she has to watch over the surfboard exhibition. She leaves Broseph in charge while she's gone. Guess what he does to the most valuable surfboard on the show with nobody around?
- The Precious, Precious Car: In "Reef, Broseph and Emma's Totally Stupid Adventure", Bummer's precious new golf cart is 'borrowed' and driven off a cliff into a river.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Johnny in Season 2. He's finally added to the group shot.
- Purple Eyes: Lo.
- Recycled In Space: 6teen... AT THE BEACH!
- Relationship Upgrade: Reef and Lo. Totally didn't see that coming, did you?
- Also Ty and Emma, as of "Heartbreak Hotel".
- Right Behind Me: Happens to Reef when he is trying to persuade Fin to let him into Ty's room during "Board and Confused".
- And to Reef again in "The Reefinator" when the beach bully he is dissing walks up behind him.
- Romantic False Lead: Ty to Emma, and Kelly to Ty.
- Safety Worst: The episode "Safety Last"
- Scooby-Doo Hoax: Bummer's scheme to convince everyone that an unused luxury suite is haunted so he can keep it for himself.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Broseph in "Brofinger", refusing to accept any kind of sponsorship deals for his surfing talents. He also doesn't like surfing in contests.
- Shipper on Deck: Emma and Lo, constantly shipping Reef and Fin and texting one another whenever they catch the two of them in a tender moment.
- Ship Sinking: Reef and Lo in the episode "Grom Fest"... perhaps.
- Ship Tease: Broseph and Lo in the episode "Grom Fest"... perhaps.
- Short Cuts Make Long Delays: The shortcut the eponymous trio take in "Reef, Broseph and Emma's Totally Stupid Adventure" causes them to spend the day lost in the woods.
- Shout-Out: In one episode, Broseph named his board Avril. Later, he gets a second board named Shania.
- Six Student Clique
- The Head: Johnny
- The Muscle: Reef
- The Quirk: Broseph
- The Pretty One: Lo
- The Smart One: Fin
- The Wild One: Emma
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Fin and Reef. It's really more like Slap Groin Attack Kiss with them.
- Slippery Swimsuit: Emma loses both halves of her bikini after a particularly spectacular wipe-out in "All We Are Saying is Give Reef a Chance".
- Smelly Skunk
- Sounding It Out: Lampshaded in the episode with the STOKE. Reef passes Fin a note, who promptly reads it aloud. Reef replies that if he wanted it read aloud, he would've just said it instead of giving her a note.
- Spaghetti Kiss: In the episode "Hunka Hunka Burning Reef"
- Spit Take: Reef does one (with a mouthful of hot dog) after Lo tells him that he is going vegetarian in "Sweet, Sweet Meat Cheat".
- Spoiled Sweet: Lo, when she's not being a Spoiled Brat.
- Spoiler Opening: The Season 2 intro replaces the last scene with Reef's arm around Fin with Reef and Lo holding hands, and Fin on the other end of the group
- Straw Misogynist: Reef, who tends to tick Fin off with his insistence that girls can't be equals to men in surfing or similar activities, despite the fact Fin is his equal (or superior) in pretty much every "guy thing" they end up competing in.
- Surfer Dude: The whole point of the series; three surfer dudes, three surfer dudettes.
- Thieving Magpie: A thieving seagull causes Reef to be suspected of being a thief in "To Catch a Reef".
- Those Two Guys: Ripper and No Pants Lance.
- Toilet Humor: wouldn't be a Fresh TV production without it.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Fin and Lo are the tomboy and the girly-girl respectively. Emma's sorta in between.
- Tongue on the Flagpole: In "Channel Surfers", Reef attempts to kiss Lo while they are standing in the cool room. He misses and ends up with his tongue stuck to a metal strut.
- Totally Radical: Indulges in it.
- Totem Pole Trench: In "The Very Very Very Very Very Important Guest" George and Grommet stack up on each other and with Grommet on top so they can pass off as Broseph.
- Ultimate Job Security: Played straight or averted on a case-by-case basis. Reef and Fin both skipped work in "Fast Time When The Rip Tide's High" with no repercussions despite guests complaining about their absences. In the same episode, Broseph steals an irreplaceable vintage board from a popular exhibit at the hotel, and breaks it while Lo left ignored her tables in the hotel restaurant, leaving the guests complaining about the terrible service, again with no repercussions. In contrast, Bummer threatened Emma with termination unless she removed a turtle that was laying eggs from the beach, and did fire her when she brought the turtle into the hotel, but changed his mind after seeing guests cooing over the turtles.
- Vehicular Sabotage: The groms sabotage Bummer's golf cart in "A Prank Too Far", leading them to think that they've killed him.
- The Voiceless: Grommet
- We Should Get Another Tape: In "Boards of Glory", Johnny is supposed to video the opposing team for a tandem surf competition so Reef and Broseph can study their technique for weaknesses. Instead, he ends up shooting nothing but footage of his crush Emma surfing. The end of the tape shows him pretending the camera is Emma and kissing it; much to Reef and Broseph's amusement.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: "Endless Bummer", with Bummer as the jerk.
- Wild Teen Party: Lo's End of The School Year party at the hotel, which gets so out of control (pretty much trashing the entire beach area and pool - Broseph drove Lo's jeep into said pool, and it lost most of its chairs to a bonfire - and ultimately drawing the attention of the RCMP and a television news crew) that it leaves her working to pay for it for the rest of the show.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: In "Heartbreak Hotel", Emma dons a blonde wig and a pair of sunglasses and adopts a French accent in order to become 'Gemma' and become Ty's rebound girl.
- William Telling: In "Surfer's Got Talent", Broseph discovers he has an uncanny aim with a water hose and attempts to shoot a half-eaten apple off Emma's head.
- Wondrous Ladies Room: In "Surf Surf Revolution", Johnny and Broseph are being chased and lose their pursuers by running through the ladies room. Afterwards, Broseph comments on how much nicer the ladies room is than the mens room.
- Yet Another Christmas Carol: "The Reefinator". Involving giant sandwiches, the result of Broseph's food poisoning addled mind.
- Your Mom: Bummer understands seagull language and says one insulted his mother.