Stone Protectors was a toy line and 1993 animated series. The whole thing was made in an attempt to market troll dolls to young boys. It was fairly unsuccessful.The premise was that five members of a terrible band called the "Rock Detectors" stumbled across some strange magical stones, which are sought by Zok, an evil music-hating reptile-like creature. Princess Opal of Mythrandir split a powerful magic stone into six pieces, and Zok only has one. He wants to gather them all and reforge the original magic stone in order to become all powerful. The crystals make each band member gain awesome powers (none of those powers being playing well), and they are whisked away to Mythrandir to help save Princess Opal's land form Zok.This rather obscure show only lasted 13 episodes. It was released onto some VHS tapes in 1994. A video game was also produced, which got better reviews than the show did.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Guess which stone the bad guys ended up with? The Onyx — the black one.
- Cursed with Awesome: The Stone Protectors feel this way. On one hand, they're trapped away from Brooklyn. On the other, they've got badass troll bodies instead of scrawny human bodies. And for some reason, being trolls also made them good at playing their instruments.
- Dark Is Evil: The Onyx. Technically the Onyx itself isn't evil, but it's black and it's the Stone of Power the bad guys got.
- Egregious: This is actually one of Chester's catch phrases. He was a troper before troping was a thing.
- Environment-Specific Action Figure: Sports figures. They did those instead of a Princess Opal.
- Fake Band: The Rock Detectors
- Five-Man Band: Close but no cigar - Clifford just plain didn't fit into any of the team roles.
- Magical Land: Mythrandir. You didn't expect a Tolkein reference in this context, did you?
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Cornelius gained supersonic vocals as his power. The time they got their powers switched, Maxwell got the supersonic vocals and enjoyed them so much he screamed himself mute in about 10 minutes.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: The enemies are all reptilian.
- Rollerblade Good: Maxwell
- The Big Guy: Chester
- The Lancer: Maxwell
- The Leader: Cornelius
- The Smart Guy: Angus
- The Smurfette Principle: The only major female was Princess Opal, and she wasn't based on a toy.
- Toyless Toyline Character: Princess Opal was not based on a toy. She wasn't even going to be adapted to the second wave of them. Some villains were also like this. Also, Opal's Soldiers.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Three of the five band members got cool powers — Cornelius became a skilled samurai, Chester became a wrestling expert with super strength, and Angus became a skilled soldier who could turn anything into a weapon. Maxwell got super-speed, but he needed to wear rollerblades to use it. And Clifford only got the ability to climb things. Granted, he could climb anything and came in useful regularly, but it was hardly cool compared to the other powers.