Make Me Wanna Shout
"They say Ulfric Stormcloak murdered the High King... with his voice! Shouted him apart!"The power of sound. Able to shatter glass, crumble rocks, and knock down buildings. Er, in the world of fiction, anyways. Characters who have super-powerful screams or other sound-based superpowers can usually do something like vocal mimicry, scream out sonic booms, and screech so loud it can paralyze people by making their eardrums bleed. It's also interesting to note that in Real Life, versions of this power would be Awesome but Impractical, seeing as a sonic boom would practically level everything in a spherical radius from the hero. Comes with an unusually high level of Required Secondary Powers (most importantly, super-resilience in their own eardrums), and often involves Acceptable Breaks from Reality — a visual that indicates the sound — to depict. Glass-Shattering Sound is a sister trope for sounds that only shatter brittle materials. Sometimes combined with Razor Wind. Can overlap with Breath Weapon. Compare Loud of War, Musical Assassin and the sonic variants of Brown Note. For a related but less lethal weapon trope, see Sonic Stunner. Sound sources other than voices that have an effect on people or things is covered by Gale-Force Sound.
—Random civilians, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Fan Works
- Live-Action TV
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
open/close all folders
Music and Music Videos
- The page title comes from a 1965 hit by a lion-lunged Scottish singer: (You Make Me Wanna) Shout! was her big debut hit. Lulu certainly did. So did the rest of the band.
- The kid in Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock" video has this power. (Okay, he needs a guitar and some huge speakers, but it still counts.)
- A crowd-pleasing sight gag in Peanuts was a character (either out of anger or exultation) shouting something so loudly that it literally blew away whoever was standing next to him or her, causing the person to flip backward in a somersault.
- SCP Foundation
- SCP-633 ("The Roaring One"). When SCP-638 is enraged it can shout with tremendous volume and force, including deafening personnel and blowing steel doors off their hinges.
- SCP-1048 ("Builder Bear"). One of SCP-1048's creations, SCP-1048-A (a teddy bear made out of human ears) gave off a high-pitched shriek that caused intense pain in the ears and eyes of everyone within 10 meters. All persons within five meters started growing ears all over their bodies within 20 seconds and died within three minutes.