open/close all folders
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- Near the beginning of the first Back to the Future, Marty hooks up an electric guitar to a ludicrously huge speaker. He plays a single chord and is physically hurled backwards by the sound (the speaker is destroyed in the process).
- Kung Fu Hustle features the Harpists, two villains who fight their opponents by playing a guqin (Chinese zither) that makes sounds loud enough to knock people down. This is easily topped by the Landlady's "Lion's Roar" technique, which shakes buildings and cracks stone columns. When this fails to affect the Beast, the Big Bad of the story, her husband helps her rip the top off a funeral bell and holds it up for her to use as a megaphone. The result is a sonic tornado that reduces the room to splinters, with the Beast becoming a rapidfire participant in Oh Crap! and Blown Across the Room. This does hurt the Beast, and when she moves in to give him a second dose, he promptly surrenders. NOT.
- Near the end of the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, Mike and Don send Shredder flying by turning the speaker he's standing in front of at maximum and hitting a chord.
- In Cheech and Chong's Next Movie, Cheech has a devil of a time getting inside his own home when Chong's playing a solo. Chong's playing also blows playing cards away, causes dogs to cover their ears, and makes neighbors take cover.
- In The Italian Job (2003), The Napster wants a stereo so loud "it'll blow a woman's clothes off." In the end credits, it apparently works.
- The video to the Nickelback song "Gotta Be Somebody" demonstrates the trope nicely, with cracks in the ground and general earthquakes accompanying the refrain each time.
- Manowar have slipped the occasional line about getting this loud into their song lyrics, perhaps most prominently in "The Gods Made Heavy Metal".
- Space Ace has Kimberly do this over videophone
- Viscera Cleanup Detail: Among the game's normal in game radio "the big banger" which appears on every level, The game also has one unique "The Bigbanger: Supernova Edition" in game radio. While the bigbanger sound players are described by in game documents as a model that has won a contest by having "Earth-shattering" loudness, the normal Bigbanger radios players encounter simply produce sufficient sound to broadcast music throughout the level and shakes itself while doing so. The "Supernova" edition of the player, however, can produce music that is obviously louder than any in game sound effect, at the same time shaking every object in the area, sends all the small objects in the vicinity flying, setting all the flares alight, detonating any dynamite within medium range, and shakes the bucket machines and bin machines in to producing buckets and bins.
- The Whiteboard: Doc using new speakers
- Schlock Mercenary: "If you want to really yell at somebody, Doctor, do it from the diaphragm."
- Questionable Content: In A Very Sweet-Tits New Year Part 1.
- El Goonish Shive:
- In a parody of the Maxell ad mentioned elsewhere, in Coach Random a character turns on an uberstereo and gets blasted completely out of his seat.
- Freefall: In this strip, Mr. Raibert gets a demonstration on the improvements in small speakers over time, getting blasted by a shouting Max Post over the phone, in a Shout-Out to the old Maxell cassette ad demonstrating this trope.
- In the Teen Titans mini-episode featuring Punk Rocket, Punk Rocket's guitar playing acts like this.
- From Transformers Animated, there's the rock battle between Optimus Prime and Soundwave, in "Human Error, Part 2".
- In Strawberry Shortcake, before Berrykin Bloom started taking lessons his bassoon-playing shook the ground, to the point of knocking people over.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Happens in "The Show Stoppers" when the Cutie Mark Crusaders sing the line "VERY LOUD!!!"
- In the episode "Luna Eclipsed", Princess Luna, using the Royal Canterlot Voice, has this effect.
- "Putting Your Hoof Down": Fluttershy does this three times; when she screams "NOPONY!!!" at the end of her rant before leaving town, again when she says to her little critters friends "Am I RIGHT??!!", and again when she exclaims to Rarity and Pinkie Pie that Old!Fluttershy is "GONE!!"
- "Wonderbolts Academy": The sheer force of the sound from Pinkie Pie's oversized megaphone moves mountains.
- "Daring Don't": In Rainbow Dash's recalling of Daring Do's adventure in the intro, Ahuizotl's roar sends Daring Do tumbling backward in a very strong wind.
- "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3": Rainbow Dash's scream of "Enough!" has this effect on her friends, instantly putting a stop to their bickering.
- In a Garfield and Friends Quickie, Roy and Lanolin get into a bleating-and-bukawking fight, which Roy wins utilizing a huge Behind the Black stereo system that sends Lanolin flying quite a distance in front of a Wraparound Background.
- In the Wakfu episode "The Black Raven", Miranda yelling for her husband Kabrok blows back Amalia's hair.