Open The Door And See All The People
The scene where someone innocently opens the front door (frequently naked
, or wearing boxers or something) and there's a raging
mob on the other side. Usually the intruder then slams the door and looks around with shock.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In one The Punisher MAX story, a Corrupt Corporate Executive is told that there's a bunch of journalists waiting outside the building. So he goes to meet them, reasoning that there's No Such Thing as Bad Publicity, unaware that his plan to cause random power outages in Florida to keep electricity provided by his company at a premium was leaked to the press. The next panel has him running like hell from the baying mob.
- An inverted case occurs in Justice League International #24. A group of alien conquerors had been shrunk and imprisoned in a Roach Motel, in the JLA's kitchen. The shrink ray wears off, the invaders gather some weapons, and then they bust down the kitchen door to ravage and pillage... but discover that the JLA was holding a membership drive that day. Quoth the alien leader: "Very very quietly, pick up the door."
- In the BtVS and The West Wing crossover The Morning After Xander drunkenly marries the President's Daughter and is awoken with an amnesiac hangover by knocking on the door, only to dumbly stare at the mob of paparazzi taking his picture starkers. ""You know, I've had this nightmare before," He muttered before pinching himself and realising he was actually awake."
- Monty Python's Life of Brian does it with Male Frontal Nudity, courtesy of Graham Chapman.
- Big Trouble in Little China: Jack Burton opens a door and sees a mob of angry-looking mooks on the other side. He immediately slams the door shut, then turns to face the rest of the group with him.
Jack: We may be trapped.
- Star Wars: Han Solo running toward the room-fulla-stormtroopers. note
- St. Trinian's, near the end. Reporters are at the school and Colin Firth's character stands nude at the window of the headmistress' room.
- Inverted in Mambo Italiano, when the family of the main character step out of the confession booths, the parents ready to proudly stand by their gay son in front of the entire congregation — but they find the church empty.
- This happens to Spike in Notting Hill.
- This happens to the General Ripper from Day of the Dead. Except it's Zombies.
Live Action TV
- This happens to Frasier when he retreats to his cabin in the woods to lick his wounds after another failed relationship. Berated by his three ex-wives and his mother he attempts to flee, opening the front door to be confronted by every woman he's ever dated. He's the only person actually there. All the women are manifestations of his subconscious. Or something.
- In the song "Splish Splash", the narrator walks out of his bathroom smack into a dance party.
- In Heavy Rain, after Ethan's son is kidnapped by the Origami Killer, a mob of reporters shows up outside his door almost immediately.
- The first elevator that the player character takes in System Shock delivers him to a room with half a dozen mutants standing around. When the doors open, they rush him.
- The episode of The Simpsons where Homer has been accused of sexual harassment.
- As well as the episode featuring Mulder and Scully. Immediately after Lisa argues that the townspeople aren't going to take three seconds of blurry video as proof that Homer met an alien, Homer opens the door to find half the town on his lawn.
- In an early episode of the Disney revamp of Doug, Doug discovered that his new middle school (which had been constructed over the summer) wasn't quite finished as he went into a bathroom stall and began to unzip only to find that he was now standing on stage in the school auditorium filled with kids. When he pointed this out to a construction worker, the construction worker merely replied, "We're working on it."
- The Family Guy episode "Boys Do Cry" has the Griffins finding a large mob on their lawn after Stewie is mistaken for being possessed (this is one of those episodes, people!).