Film: Cheech and Chong's Next Movie
Cheech And Chong's Next Movie is the second film led by the Stoner Double Act. Cheech and Chong play Cheech and Chong, depicted in this universe as being very poor and sloppy. Their personas are not much different from Pedro De Pacas and The Man, the characters they played in Up In Smoke, but they're not doing as great as those characters were doing at the end of that movie. They're seen in this movie stealing gas for a car that isn't even theirs, owned by their irritable neighbor. When Cheech has a hot girlfriend coming to their incredibly run-down (and, in fact, condemned) house, he sends Chong off to hang out with Cheech's Texan oil millionaire cousin, Red DeWayne (Cheech in a double role), who is being kicked out of his hotel room, and has to break back into the room to pick up a duffel bag filled with marijuana. The majority of the movie focuses on Red and Chong, who smoke a lot of weed, party with a rich family (led by Edie and Bob McClurg), meet Pee Wee Herman and get abducted by aliens.
Next Movie provides examples of the following tropes:
- Acting for Two: Cheech plays Cheech and Cheech's cousin, Red DeWayne.
- Adam Westing: Paul Reubens plays himself as a Jerk Ass desk clerk, who reappears in the comedy club as Pee-Wee Herman.
- Brick Joke: At the beginning of the movie, Cheech crashes the set of Wamba's Revenge, a Charlie's Angels-style movie (featuring Rita Wilson and Elvira, Mistress of the Dark). Later in the movie, he's watching TV while waiting for Donna and the announcer says to stay tuned for Wamba's Angels.
- Butt Monkey: Cheech and Chong's anal-retentive next door neighbor.
- Call Back: Earlier, Chong fools Cheech with laundry soap, which Cheech thinks is cocaine. At the end, Chong gives Cheech some real cocaine, only it's from outer space and much stronger than normal cocaine.
- Also, Donna reappears in Nice Dreams and Things Are Tough All Over.
- The Cameo: Features appearances by numerous comedians, including Rita Wilson, Cassandra Peterson, Paul Reubens, Phil Hartman, Michael Winslow and character actress Edie McClurg.
- Catch Phrase: For Red, "Holy sheep shit!"
- Cloudcuckoolander: Edie McClurg's character. When Red chases her cat around in her house, she responds "I didn't know he could go that high!"
- The Danza: Cheech and Chong.
- Death Glare: Chong gives one to Cheech after Cheech suggests that he get a job.
- Deranged Animation: Cheech & Chong are beamed into a spaceship that looks exactly like a joint.
- Edited for Syndication: In the TV version, Red has a bag of diamonds, not marijuana.
- Erudite Stoner: Chong
- Expy: Red DeWayne is essentially Cheech's stage character, Red Neck, altered to become Cheech's cousin rather than some random redneck.
- Funny Background Event: During the scene in the welfare office, you might miss Cheech & Donna having sex in her office because Michael Winslow's in the foreground making funny sound effects. According to Chong's biography, this scene is studied in film schools.
- Hulking Out: Cheech does this after Chong returns from the UFO with "space coke" and gives some of it to Cheech.
- Incessant Music Madness: Next Movie features a stoned Chong pretending to be Jimi Hendrix...with his guitar hooked to a big amplifier. The entire neighborhood quickly knows he's playing, and even Cheech has trouble getting inside to stop him; the sound blasts keep slamming the front door in Cheech's face.
- Non-Fatal Explosions: When Chong lights a joint in a car full of gas fumes
- The Porno Mancer: Cheech.
- Stoner Flick
- Straight Gay: The biker that gives Chong a ride to Red's hotel. The soundtrack plays "Macho Man" by the Village People, and the biker flirts with Chong.