It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
"If they share a strand of that spaghetti, I'm gonna hurl."
A parody of a scene from Disney's animated film Lady and the Tramp
, where the titular characters shared a plate of spaghetti. The two canine lovers, distracted by a romantic serenade, ended up chewing opposite ends of the same noodle and accidentally nibbled their way into a kiss. Sometimes a parody of the next beat (Tramp nudging the last meatball over to Lady with his nose) is also included.
The contact of mouths caused by chewing the same food item is what makes this trope, so the edible item can be almost anything. Hotdogs, waffles, noodles, as well as other types of long pasta like fettuccine and linguine will do, as long as two lovers can nibble on the same item from opposite ends. Works originating from Japan usually invoke the trope by using Pocky sticks, a special kind of stick biscuit dipped in either chocolate or strawberry flavor, and of course, Japanese noodles (ramen, soba and such).
See also Sweetheart Sipping
, if it is a drink that is shared by the lovers, or Date Crêpe
, for a different kind of date meal.
open/close all folders
- Referenced but not actually done in Teacher's Pet. Leonard tries to pay a restaurateur to serve his dog Spot and his girlfriend spaghetti out back so they can reenact the scene. The restaurateur replies that he would lose his license if he did that and, furthermore, "Dogs do not have lips!"
- Disney even incorporated a redux of this scene into Lady and the Tramp's own direct-to-video sequel. It actually includes the meatball bit but not the iconic spaghetti-strand kiss. Instead, Scamp licks some spaghetti sauce off of Angel's face.
- Timon and Pumbaa accidentally kiss each other while eating a worm in a scene from The Lion King 1 ½. They weren't happy about that.
- Disney included another parody of it in House of Mouse, with vaguely-canine-y-people Max Goof and his girlfriend, Roxanne.
- In fact, the spaghetti scene was referenced and parodied several times on House of Mouse by Lady and the Tramp themselves — if the two showed up at all in an episode, it was only to eat spaghetti and usually get interrupted while trying to do the Spaghetti Kiss.
- Several years prior to that one, Disney did it again in the DuckTales episode where Scrooge gets amnesia; in his case, it happens when he and Fenton's mom go out for pizza.
- Yet another Disney parody in an episode of Recess where Mikey becomes friends with the school bully Kurst 'the Worst'. Once it's clear that they're sharing the same strand, Kurst belches and her end falls from her mouth, leaving Mikey to finish it.
- The Emperor's New Groove 2: Kronk's New Groove had a scene like this between Kronk and Ms. Birdwell. It was practically a shot-for-shot remake until Kronk tried to roll a millipede to Ms. Birdwell, and it tried to suck his face.
- Disney also did a parody of it in the made-for-TV remake of The Shaggy Dog, with the guy (in the sheepdog body), wondering why his sharing a plate of spaghetti with another dog seemed so familiar.
- This is almost done in the Phineas and Ferb Special Summer Belongs to You...with Buford and Baljeet. It only earns a shocked expression from the two and the plate of spaghetti being thrown onto Baljeet's head.
- In '102 Dalmatians', when Kevin and Chloe go out on a date, we cut between their dogs at home, watching this scene in 'Lady and the Tramp', and them on their date, sharing spaghetti the same way.
- A season 4 episode of Once Upon a Time has a pair of extras doing this in the Establishing Shot of the restaurant where Killian/Hook takes Emma on a date.
- In this Barilla pasta commercial, a couple first fails at this (spaghetti breaks) before succeeding (by using Barilla spaghetti of course.)
Anime & Manga
Live Action Television
- Full House: Lampshaded because Joey's doing it with his date, and he freely admits he's imitating the scene because he thinks it's romantic.
- In a first season episode of Gilmore Girls, Rory brings a meatball home from a date with Dean after Lorelai starts babbling to her about the spaghetti kiss.
- Hal and Lois of Malcolm in the Middle do this with kielbasa during an eating contest.
- In the Wizards of Waverly Place episode "Wizards vs. Werewolves", Alex and Mason attempt to do this with a sub sandwich, since Alex thought it would be romantic. When Mason points out how gross it is, they decide to skip straight to the kiss, before being rudely interrupted when Harper alerts Theresa.
- Appeared once or twice in Whose Line Is It Anyway?, whenever a game of Helping Hands involved spaghetti as a prop.
- Brittany from Glee practices this when she thinks she'll be going to a restaurant with Artie (although she truly wants to go with Santana). Leads to a Tear Jerker when she pushes the meatball with her nose to... no one, because Artie dumps her and Santana is mad at her.
- In the Clarissa Explains It All episode where Sam develops a crush on Clarissa, she has an Imagine Spot featuring this.
- Michael and his then-boyfriend David had one in season 1 of Queer as Folk.
- In the music video for Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend, Avril's love interest and his girlfriend attempt to do this with... something. Subverted as Avril's character interrupts them before they manage to kiss.