"If they share a strand of that spaghetti, I'm gonna hurl."A parody of a scene from Disney's animated film Lady and the Tramp, where the titular characters shared a plate of spaghetti. The two canine lovers, distracted by a romantic serenade, ended up chewing opposite ends of the same noodle and accidentally nibbled their way into a kiss. Sometimes a parody of the next beat (Tramp nudging the last meatball over to Lady with his nose) is also included. The contact of mouths caused by chewing the same food item is what makes this trope, so the edible item can be almost anything. Hotdogs, waffles, noodles, as well as other types of long pasta like fettuccine and linguine will do, as long as two lovers can nibble on the same item from opposite ends. Works originating from Japan usually invoke the trope by using Pocky sticks, a special kind of stick biscuit dipped in either chocolate or strawberry flavor, and of course, Japanese noodles (ramen, soba and such). See also Sweetheart Sipping, if it is a drink that is shared by the lovers, or Date Crêpe, for a different kind of date meal.
open/close all folders
- In this Barilla pasta commercial, a couple first fails at this (spaghetti breaks) before succeeding (by using Barilla spaghetti of course.)
Anime & Manga
- Aoi House covered this one, too, with hamster Echiboo and pig Luna-P. Aoi House covers a lot of parody tropes.
- This happens between Saga and Sugar in the opening titles of A Little Snow Fairy Sugar.
- Yomi and Kagura end up sharing a pocky this way in Ga-Rei -Zero-.
- Kämpfer has this in episode 7.
- Starts to happen between Keita and Riko in kiss×sis. Ako puts a stop to that fairly quickly.
- Invoked (with yakisoba) by the titular character of My Wife Is a High School Girl to seduce her husband.
- The Pokémon episode "A Fork In The Road! A Parting Of The Ways!" includes a shot of two Wobbuffets (one of them Jessie's) interacting in this manner.
- Dinosaur Comics refers to it as "third base."
- Korean comic Asaekkiga turns this trope into a terrifying game of chicken.◊
- Also done by two dogs near the end of the Jommeke album "Tobias Snuffel".
- An Archie Comics story about the very first kiss between a male and a female had prehistoric versions of Archie and Betty lock lips while eating the same date palm. (Narrator Dilton also cites this event as the reason couples go out on "dates".)
Films — Animation
- Disney even incorporated a redux of this scene into Lady and the Tramp's own direct-to-video sequel. It actually includes the meatball bit but not the iconic spaghetti-strand kiss. Instead, Scamp licks some spaghetti sauce off of Angel's face.
- Timon and Pumbaa accidentally kiss each other while eating a worm in a scene from The Lion King 1½. They aren't happy about that.
- The Emperor's New Groove 2: Kronk's New Groove had a scene like this between Kronk and Ms. Birdwell. It was practically a shot-for-shot remake until Kronk tried to roll a millipede to Ms. Birdwell, and it tried to suck his face.
- Parodied with slugs in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in the 2006 film Flushed Away.
- in Balto, Steele suggests doing this with a chain of stolen sausages while unsuccessfully flirting with Jenna.
Films — Live-Action
- In 102 Dalmatians, when Kevin and Chloe go out on a date, we cut between their dogs at home, watching this scene in 'Lady and the Tramp', and them on their date, sharing spaghetti the same way.
- Disney also did a parody of it in the made-for-TV remake of The Shaggy Dog, with the guy (in the sheepdog body), wondering why his sharing a plate of spaghetti with another dog seemed so familiar.
- "Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man" played with the trope. Lou (Costello) and the titular invisible man ended up sharing a plate of spaghetti in a non-romantic way (both were just hungry and the Invisible Man didn't have his own meal since it's hard to order a meal when you're invisible). They ended up on the same strand but before it could lead to a kiss Lou cut the strand in half with his fingers. It should be noted that this movie predated "Lady and the Tramp" by four years so the scene wasn't a reference.
- Hot Shots! Part Deux: To make it even sillier, Charlie Sheen also does the meatball bit... yes, with his nose.
- Garth and his GF in Wayne's World 2, with a liquorice wheel.
- A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner! has this almost happening between Crocker and Magnate.
Crocker: I didn't plan that.
- Der Wixxer parodies this: in a flashback, Inspector Even Longer almost spaghetti-kisses Inspector Rather Short.
- The two MUTOs from Godzilla (2014), with a nuke!
- A season 4 episode of Once Upon a Time has a pair of extras doing this in the Establishing Shot of the restaurant where Killian/Hook takes Emma on a date.
- Full House: Lampshaded because Joey's doing it with his date, and he freely admits he's imitating the scene because he thinks it's romantic.
- In a first season episode of Gilmore Girls, Rory brings a meatball home from a date with Dean after Lorelai starts babbling to her about the spaghetti kiss.
- Hal and Lois of Malcolm in the Middle do this with kielbasa during an eating contest.
- In the Wizards of Waverly Place episode "Wizards vs. Werewolves", Alex and Mason attempt to do this with a sub sandwich, since Alex thought it would be romantic. When Mason points out how gross it is, they decide to skip straight to the kiss, before being rudely interrupted when Harper alerts Theresa.
- Appeared once or twice in Whose Line Is It Anyway?, whenever a game of Helping Hands involved spaghetti as a prop.
- Brittany from Glee practices this when she thinks she'll be going to a restaurant with Artie (although she truly wants to go with Santana). Leads to a Tear Jerker when she pushes the meatball with her nose to... no one, because Artie dumps her and Santana is mad at her.
- Friends: Joey does this with his date in a Valentine's Day Episode.
- In the Clarissa Explains It All episode where Sam develops a crush on Clarissa, she has an Imagine Spot featuring this.
- Michael and his then-boyfriend David had one in season 1 of Queer as Folk.
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: London tries to spaghetti-kiss her date, but Maddie pulls her away with the spaghetti still in her mouth.
- In The Wonder Years, with Kevin's friend, Chuck and his new girlfriend Alice perform this kiss. Adult Kevin calls them both Lady and the Tramp.
- In a sketch on MADtv that spoofs Rachael Ray's show $40 a Day, a very drunk Rachael forces an unwilling waiter to do a Spaghetti Kiss with her.
- A background gag in an episode of Shake It Up! has Cece and Rocky almost share a Spaghetti Kiss while eating a giant meatball half-asleep. They then wake up, realize what they were doing and pull away in disgust.
- In the music video for Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend, Avril's love interest and his girlfriend attempt to do this with... something. Subverted as Avril's character interrupts them before they manage to kiss.
- Done with a twist in Kevin and Kell.
- Questionable Content mentions that Marten's parents met by snorting opposite ends of a line of cocaine, and meeting in the middle.
- Subverted in Sandra and Woo, when Woo and Lily share an earthworm, but Lily sucks it out of Woo's mouth before they kiss.
- Brawl in the Family:
- Attempted in the third printed volume, where Adeleine tries to give the other end of her noodle to Meta Knight to do it. (Whether they end up kissing or not is left ambiguous.)
- Parodied in Waluigi Triloigi, where a cat-Waluigi and a female dog share a noodle... Only for the cat-Waluigi to suck the dog into his mouth.
- It was done on the Tequila Taco Night episode of Epic Meal Time, where two girls share a strip of... Uh... Something.
- One fanvid for "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked it" shows a Japanese girl trying to do this to her boyfriend. He just slurps the licorice they were sharing instead of eating to the middle like she did.
- This blog's cartoon tries some more species-appropriate versions— including two sharks working on a hapless swimmer.
- deviantART artist PokemonFromHell's gallery includes a drawing of two Luvdisc doing this...with the "spaghetti" in question being the intestines of a third, dead Luvdisc.
- Referenced but not actually done in Teacher's Pet. Leonard tries to pay a restaurateur to serve his dog Spot and his girlfriend spaghetti out back so they can reenact the scene. The restaurateur replies that he would lose his license if he did that and, furthermore, "Dogs do not have lips!"
- Disney included another parody of it in House of Mouse, with vaguely-canine-y-people Max Goof and his girlfriend, Roxanne. In fact, the spaghetti scene was referenced and parodied several times on House of Mouse by Lady and the Tramp themselves — if the two showed up at all in an episode, it was only to eat spaghetti and usually get interrupted while trying to do the Spaghetti Kiss.
- Several years prior to that one, Disney did it again in the DuckTales (1987) episode where Scrooge gets amnesia; in his case, it happens when he and Fenton's mom go out for pizza.
- Yet another Disney parody in an episode of Recess where Mikey becomes friends with the school bully Kurst 'the Worst'. Once it's clear that they're sharing the same strand, Kurst belches and her end falls from her mouth, leaving Mikey to finish it.
- This is almost done in the Phineas and Ferb Special "Summer Belongs to You"... with Buford and Baljeet. It only earns a shocked expression from the two and the plate of spaghetti being thrown onto Baljeet's head.
- The Simpsons parodied it numerous times:
- Santa's Little Helper and his unnamed girlfriend do it...then start growling and fighting over the spaghetti.
- Mr. Burns does it with his girlfriend, but it's revealed that Homer, hiding nearby, is the one slurping Burns' spaghetti for him.
- And again, with Homer and Marge as dogs... Until Homer sucks Marge into his mouth instead of kissing her.
- In a Season 5 episode, it was done with a chili dog instead of spaghetti.
- In season 28, Homer has dinner neighbor Julia. Everyone things he's cheating on Marge, but him and Julia insist they are just friends. Luigi sets them out a plate of spaghetti for them as a way to test them. Homer sucks back the spaghetti strand extra hard, effectively stealing it out of Julia's mouth, and the waiter declares that it's not love.
- Rugrats in Paris has Spike and Fifi the poodle doing this with overly gooey pizza cheese taking the place of spaghetti. They then get stuck and growl at each other.
- Parodied in Family Guy:
- Brian, in the midst of a "civil rights for dogs" tear, walks in on this scene and chews out both participants for "acting the way they want you to".
- In a later episode, Quagmire is out on an actually romantic date. He ends up pushing the last meatball with his nose.
- One taken directly from L&TT, but with Michael Vick added.
- Occurs in the Christmas Special Christopher The Christmas Tree, with a skunk and a squirrel eating opposite ends of a string of popcorn. The skunk goes in for another kiss, but the squirrel jumps out of the way just in time.
- Steele in Balto tries to invoke this with Jenna using a string of sausages, only to be craftily rebuffed.
Steele: You start on one end, I'll start on the other. When we get to the middle, well...*
- Parodied in the Happy Tree Friends Halloween short "Remains To Be Seen" with Cuddles and Giggles. The twist is that they're both zombies, and they're slurping a brain.
- Done to a point in Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, as a snow leopard tries to get Po to fall for her to get an invite to rob the Jade Palace. He doesn't notice and ends up with her whole head in his mouth.
- Scooby-Doo and Shaggy do this at the end of the What's New, Scooby-Doo? episode "Pompeii And Circumstance." They are repulsed by the result.
- They do it again in the Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated episode "The Devouring" while sharing a submarine sandwich. They don't look at all disgusted this time, instead acting coy.
- Parodied in Drawn Together where Captain Hero falls in love with Clara's mentally challenged cousin, Bleh, and goes on a date with her. When Captain Hero and Bleh are at the carnival, she drools on their spaghetti and Captain Hero unwittingly grabs the saliva strand with his fork and slurps it like a noodle until he reaches her lips and they kiss.
- Salmon-Leela and Salmon-Fry share such a kiss in the Futurama “Naturama” where the strand of spaghetti is a marine worm instead.
- Adventure Time: Happens with Little Finn and Little Flame Princess when Finn gives them a cookie to share in "All the Little People".
- A Hey Arnold! episode has Arnold have an Imagine Spot of him and Lila at the Cheese Festival doing this with a piece of string cheese.
- Parodied and Subverted in the Totally Spies! episode "Silicon Valley Girls"; in a Funny Foreground Event, Clover and Alex notice the single strand of spaghetti connecting to each other's lips, but they just stop right there.
- In Western Animation/, Greg was so into a car he had his eye on, a Photo Montage shows him attempting a spaghetti kiss with it, but gets interrupted when a car salesman sics the police on him.
- At one point in the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Married to Money", Mr. Krabs and his date, a sentient wad of cash named Cashina (actually Plankton in disguise) are in a fancy restaurant, both trying to suck the same strand... only for Plankton to just cut the strand off instead, sending Krabs flying.