"It's time I gave you a proper thank-you! Pucker up, handsome!""My hero! *mwah!*" Some men quest for glory, fame, and riches. Some men seek power and strength. Some want To Be a Master. And some guys just want a kiss from the princess they're trying to save. For some strange reason, princesses and other Love Interests seem to love giving out kisses as rewards for helping them. The smooch of victory is a standard part of the Rescue Romance, but it can appear in almost any scenario where a guy has the potential to impress a girl—either by winning a contest, saving her from a horrible beast, recovering her purse from thugs, or whatever the plot writers think up. The scenario generally goes like this:
— Flurrie, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Alice is in trouble. Bob vows to help her. Alternatively, Bob is entering a contest. He vows to win for Alice's sake.
- Bob overcomes obstacles, goes through many trials, and goes through hell and back for Alice. He eventually saves Alice or reaches his goal.
- Alice says to Bob, "Oh, Bob! How can I ever thank you?"
- Alice then proceeds to show Bob exactly how she can thank him by giving him lipstick imprints right on the face.
- If this is Bob's first Big Damn Heroes moment, it will often result in Post-Kiss Catatonia.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Kid Muscle tries to invoke this in Ultimate Muscle, but it doesn't pan out.
- In an episode of Tsubasa -RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE-, Kurogane is rewarded that way from a lady he freed of mind control. He doesn't immediately realize it's a reward, though, given she's a dark witch. But she's still appreciative.
- The Christmas episode of Pokémon has Ash and friends helping Santa's Jynx get back home; Jynx keeps insisting in kissing them as thanks.
- Summer Wars ends with Natsuki giving Kenji the chance to kiss her. He's too excited to go through with it and passes out with a stream of blood.
- In The World God Only Knows, every time Keima captures a girl's heart, it always ends with a kiss.
- Double subverted with Hinoki. Keima wasn't the one who captured the runaway spirit inside of her so therefore didn't kiss her. However, before she left, she kissed him anyways, much to everyone's - including Keima's - shock.
- In Katekyō Hitman Reborn!, Tsuna receives a kiss from Chrome as thanks for standing up for her when the others were suspicious of her actually being Mukuro in disguise.
- Mai from Yu-Gi-Oh! tells Rex Raptor that she'll give him a kiss if he wins a game of Duel Monsters against her but if he doesn't, she gets to take his room. She ends up winning and Rex ends up out in the cold.
- An ... interesting variation occurs when old man Yanagi attempts to do this to main character Yusei after the latter won a duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
- Digimon Tamers: Ryo tries to invoke this trope with Rika ("What do I get for saving your life not once but twice?) But it doesn't work. ("How about twice the whooping?"
- Defied in one of The King of Fighters manga. After Kyo Kusanagi rescues his kidnapped girlfriend Yuki, she tries to give him one of these while crying due to the terrifying stress that the deal brought her. However, Kyo gently places a finger over her lips, smiles sadly and tells her he's not worthy of a kiss since the poor girl was kidnapped in an attempt to lure him out and force him to fight. She understands his reasons and doesn't insist, only watching him walk away.
- Genderflipped in Detective Conan, as Sato and Takagi's second on-screen kiss happens after she manages to rescue him from a Death Trap that he has been caught in for almost two days.
- Girls Bravo inverts the trope by having Kosame give the kiss to Kirie, despite having taken a blow from Lilica for her. While Kirie was disappointed that they lost, she was more concerned for Kosame's condition and was so relived to see she hadn't been seriously injured that she embraces her. Which prompts Kosame to kiss her (seen at 7:52-9:04).
- In episode 29 of Dragon Ball Super Bulma does this to Vegeta after he quickly gathered the dragonballs for Beerus and Whis, which he did out of fear after Beerus threatened to kill him if he didn't, after receiving the kiss he freaks out and tells her to warn him next time she does that.
- In episode 216 of One Piece after Foxy Pirate member Porche falls into the sea after being knocked off her partner Hamburg, Sanji jumps in to save her and she thanks him with a kiss which causes him to faint and they are both eliminated from the race because the old man who they were supposed to Tag saw them move.
- In the Marvel miniseries Beyond!, college hero Gravity quips "Nothing beats post-save-the-world sex".
- Legion of Super-Heroes: Brainiac 5 gives Lyle Norg one of these after rescuing him from Apokolips. Whether he intended to or not depends on who you ask.
- Supergirl: In Demon Spawn the titular heroine kisses then-Love Interest Geoff after he saves her.
- Gets a very quick mention in Watchmen. When Hollis Mason, the future Nite-Owl was a little boy, he would have day-dreams about being a super-hero and going on adventures. One would always end with the pretty damsel he'd just saved offering him a kiss and him proudly refusing.
- Runaways: Gert is angry with Chase because he didn't respond to any of her e-mails while the group was temporarily disbanded. Then he tells her that he didn't keep in touch because he was busy tracking down Old Lace for her. Snogging ensues.
- Inverted during an issue of Marvel Team Up 4 between Spider-Man and the X-Men. When Spider-Man is saved from an infection caused by Morbius the Living Vampire, Jean Grey uses her powers to locate the professor who can save him. After webbing up Cyclops, Spider-Man thanks her with a smooch. She would return the favor years later in an issue of Spectacular Spider-Man. The original five X-Men and Spidey team up to defeat Prof. Power. After they save the day, Jean gives him a peck on the cheek. Keep in mind that she was married to Cyclops at the time who was standing beside them but Spidey was also happily married to Mary Jane (he even jokingly said "lipstick on the mask. How will I explain this to my wife?") so it was obvious that it was just a friendly smootch.
- In Captain Britain and MI13:
- Captain Britain gets not one, but two with his long-lost wife Meggan. Once when he thinks he's rescued her from Plokta, and once when he actually has rescued both of them from Lilith.
- Played with in regards to Faiza planting one on the Black Knight after she just rescued him from being killed by Dracula.
- The Smurfs has a few examples:
- In "The Smurf Garden", Smurfette gives Dopey one when he saves his fellow Smurfs from Gargamel, the result of which makes the floppy top part of his hat rise.
- In "The Olympic Smurfs", Weakling wins the Olympics and is about to embrace and kiss Smurfette as his prize when Brainy shows up with his pink card and takes her away from Weakling, ruining the moment.
- Veronica lays one on Archie in a story where he uses some investigative powers to find Big Moose for a key baseball game Riverdale High is playing against Central High. Archie and Jughead find out that Central High tricked Moose into skipping the game for a family matter. They find him, tell him the scheme, and Moose—fully angered—wins the game both with his bat and his glove.
Coach Cleats: Moose, if ever there was a hero it's you!
Moose: Duh, you mean if ever there was a hero, it's Archie! If it wasn't for ol' Arch, I'd be in Central City right now!
Jughead: Moose is right! This victory we owe to my buddy's detective work!
Veronica: (grabbing Archie and kissing him on the cheek) Isn't he marvy??
- In Robin Tim kisses Stephanie after she rescues him from being Buried Alive. As she had been flirting with him since nearly their first meeting this is quite nice for her, though Tim realizes quickly that despite the relationship having long since fallen apart he's still technically dating Ariana and prevents things from going any further till he's actually single, and he and Steph begin dating before the week is up.
Films — Animated
- Shrek: Fiona wants to kiss Shrek after he rescues her. This is before she realizes he's an ogre and afterward she no longer wants to kiss him.
- In Wreck-It Ralph, Fix-It Felix Jr. gets one from a Nicelander after completing a level in the game. He later gives a rare male-to-female example to Calhoun after the Cy-Bugs are defeated. She responds with a Big Damn Kiss.
- At the end of Asterix Vs Caesar Panacea kisses Asterix for rescuing her and her fiancé Tragicomix, after she does the wings on his helmet spin around causing him to briefly fly to the ceiling.
- In Asterix Conquers America Obelix gets one from the Indian chief's daughter Atishoo after saving her from a stampeding herd of buffalo.
- In Penguins of Madagascar, Kowalski gets this from Eva after Dave is defeated.
- Rod Rescueman, the bungling trainee super-hero from Twice Upon a Time, has this as his main motivation; he has to rescue a Damsel in Distress and get a kiss in order to become a full-fledged hero. He gets peeved when Flora Fauna — who he doesn't realize he hasn't rescued so much as kidnapped and beaten up — refuses to comply. At the end of the movie, after the Big Bad is defeated, Flora passes out victory kisses to not only Rod, but Scuzzbopper, Ralph, and Mumford. Mumford even manages to wrangle a second kiss before Ralph pulls him away.
Films — Live-Action
- Hilarious subverted at the end of Lockout when Snow is released and Emilie shows up, smiles prettily, and punches him across the face. Wincing, he says "for a second there I thought you were going to kiss me!"
- One of the more famous film examples is the one between Spider-Man and Mary Jane after Spidey does an awesome No Holds Barred Beat Down on a group of would-be-rapists.
- In Batman Forever, Dick Grayson (pre-Robin) gets one of these. In this case, the girl invokes this trope via directly asking him if he's gonna kiss her after saving her life, and Grayson was more then happy to comply.
Dick:I could definitely get used to this super hero gig.
- Played with Who Framed Roger Rabbit: After Eddie defeats the Villain and rescues Jessica, she plants lots of kisses... on Roger.
Roger Rabbit: Jeepers Eddie, that was swell! How can I ever repay ya! (Big Toon Kiss)Eddie: For starters, don't EVER kiss me again!
- Eddie does get a kiss...from Roger earlier in the movie, after he fools the weasels searching for him.
- The movie Labyrinth sets it up for disaster when the Goblin King warns Hoggle if Sarah kisses him, he'll redirect them to the Bog of Eternal Stench. Naturally, after he rescues her from some fireheads she kisses the side of his head, ignoring his protests, and the two of them get redirected.
- Father-daughter variant in Hook, when Peter rescues his little daughter Maggie.
- In Man of Steel, Superman and Lois have one after Zod's mothership is slurped into the Phantom Zone singularity and the destruction the World Engine was causing is halted. Their victory smooch is a bit premature, however, as Zod survived, falls down the Despair Event Horizon and attempts to take it out on Superman and what's left of Metropolis. When Zod is finally done in, it's more tragic than celebratory, as Superman is horrified he had to kill Zod. Lois is still there to give him a bit of a Cooldown Hug though.
- A nicely underplayed version in 2010: The Year We Make Contact. After they survive the risky aerobraking maneuver, Floyd gets a peck on the cheek from the Irina, the pretty Russian nutritionist.
- The Quick and the Dead. The Lady is so glad to live through her first Quick Draw duel she kisses the Kid, whose affections she's curtly rejected before then.
- Charlie Wilson's War. Congressman Charlie Wilson kisses his Sexy Secretary in front of his congressional colleagues when she brings him the news of the first Hind gunships being shot down.
- Royal Flash. Flashman gets a kiss on each cheek from the officer who pins his (unjustly earned) medal on him. The kiss isn't what makes Flashman uncomfortable, but the fact that the officer's tricorne hat keeps butting him in the face.
- Played for Laughs in Thor: The Dark World. Darcy has her life saved by her intern Ian, whom she's been bossing around the entire movie. The scene then cuts to Jane fiddling with her teleportation device, only to suddenly transport Darcy to their location, in the midst of giving Ian a bend-over kiss. When Darcy realises what's happened she lets go in embarrassment, causing Ian to fall to the ground.
- Played for laughs in Octopussy, when Q drops his hot air balloon on the head of a mook who was about to shoot Octopussy's Amazon Brigade. The grateful girls swarm him and shower him with kisses. The old man asks what they think they're doing.
- In Jurassic World, Owen Grady kisses Claire Dearing after she saves him from a rampaging pterosaur.
- Played for Laughs in Kingsman: The Secret Service. Eggsy asks the Swedish princess for a kiss in exchange for rescuing her, because he's always wanted to kiss a princess. She offers Rescue Sex instead, then throws in anal just before he takes off to foil the Big Bad.
- In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, all the female members of the Gryffindor Qudditch team gang up on Harry to kiss him after he wins an important game for them.
- Goblet of Fire has Fleur giving Harry two on each cheek for saving her little sister Gabrielle during the Tri-Wizard Tournament (even though she wasn't actually in danger).
- Gender inversion in Half Blood Prince: Ginny helps Gryffindor win the Cup, and Harry takes the celebration as the moment to kiss her for the first time.
- In Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian story "A Witch Shall Be Born", Ivga seeks out Valerius after the victory.
As Valerius started to follow Taramis across the square towards the palace, through a lane opened by the wildly cheering multitude, he felt a soft hand slipped timidly into his sinewy forgers and turned to receive the slender body of Ivga in his arms. He crushed her to him and drank her kisses with the gratitude of a weary fighter who has attained rest at last through tribulation and storm.
- In Sheep's Clothing Doc receives a delayed one from Sarah, but it's only delayed only because he was in and out of consciousness for two weeks after the final battle.
Live Action TV
- One episode of Angel featured Angel rescuing a woman in an alleyway, and gently rebuffing her when she was clearly willing to kiss him (and more). Made (intentionally) hilarious by Spike lurking on a nearby rooftop, dubbing in his version of the dialog.
- Spike himself gets a kiss from Buffy after he resists torture and death threats to protect Buffy's kid sister. The scene marks a change in Buffy's attitude towards Spike from loathing and unconscious Foe Yay to that of Fire-Forged Friends and future Love Interest.
- On Glee, after the New Directions win Nationals, they come back to their school triumphant and nearly all of the couples get a dramatic and public kiss.
- In Pushing Daisies, Ned gets a very much unwanted one of these from Olive after he saves her from a murderer.
- Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor has a tendency to kiss people like this. He once even kissed his Heterosexual Life Partner under these sorts of circumstances.
- In "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship", the Eleventh Doctor plants one on Rory for coming up with an escape plan. When things turn out to be more complicated, he complains about Rory getting his hopes up and wipes at Rory's mouth.
- A (comparably) mundane example crops up in season two of The Office (US). After closing a particularly important sale, Michael and Jan kiss. The season two premiere also has a drunken Pam kissing Jim after winning a Dundie. Small victories count.
- Josh and Donna's first kiss on The West Wing was one of these.
- Hilariously, at the climax "A Fistful of Datas" in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Worf is clearly horrified at the thought he's about to get one from a saloon girl whom the holodeck has given Data's face. The look of desperation on his face as he kept telling the computer to end the simulation now is something to behold
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Lord Zedd gives Goldar one when Master Vile leaves.
- In Alias, Sydney and Vaughn's big first kiss takes place at the end of "Phase One", where they've essentially taken down SD-6 in one episode.
- In Premiere, Zhaan gives Crichton one... by pressing her ear against his head and giving him some kind of electric jolt.
- Chiana does this to Crichton in the season one finale of Farscape, saying she never got to properly thank him for saving her life. She is clearly interested in thanking him with more than just her lips, but he gently turns her down.
- In the Mirror Universe episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, Captain Archer plans to use the over-whelming power of the U.S.S Defiant to seize control of the Terran Empire, only to be poisoned on the brink of victory by his Hot Consort, Hoshi Sato. The last thing he sees before passing out is Hoshi kissing his bodyguard, Tavis Mayweather. Hoshi goes on to become Empress, which is worth celebrating with a snog on any day!
- Many Match Game contestants got to kiss the celebrity with whom they won the big money (the head-to-head part of the Super Match)—opposite sex, naturally. They were usually polite, quick kisses, but some celebrities like Patty Duke Astin and Debralee Scott were known to ramp it Up to Eleven.
- Person of Interest. In "Prisoner's Dilemma", Detective Fusco (normally the series Butt-Monkey) has to protect that week's POI while the others get Reese out of jail. We never see what happens exactly, but it ends with Fusco being kissed by supermodel Karolína Kurková after he saves her life from Armenian gangsters. Some days are obviously better than others.
- After Sheriff Jody Mills accidentally reveals the Weaksauce Weakness of the Leviathans, Bobby Singer spontaneously snogs her, but lacks the confidence to follow this up when Jody responds positively to this.
- In "Wendigo", Dean is hoping for Rescue Sex from the grateful Damsel in Distress. She jibes him for "cheapening the moment", then gives him a peck on the cheek instead.
- Doctor Who. In "The Crimson Horror", the Doctor is rescued by Jenny Flint whom he bends over for a Big Damn Kiss. As Jenny is a Victorian-era lesbian who's also married, she responds with an Armor-Piercing Slap.
- The Last Ship: In the season 3 premiere, a woman who’d received the cure from the Nathan James tries to give Slattery one and ends up kissing his cheek when he pulls away. It leaves a lipstick mark which causes Garnett no end of amusement when she rubs it off and he gets embarrassed.
- Rick Rude would find ladies in the audience to kiss after winning his squash matches, which got him in trouble when he kissed the wife of Jack "The Snake" Roberts.
- Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero, after Dolph defeated Jack Swagger to win Vickie's managerial services.
- During the round robin to crown the first women's champion of the Funkin Conservatory on !Bang! TV, there was a three way tie between Malia Hosaka, Claudia "The Claw" Reiff and Lexie Fyfe. The referee announced the winner would be decided by a points system. Hosaka kissed him and was awarded the belt.
- ROH Night of Hoopla in 2013, MsChif kissed Michael Elgin after he used the green mist to get the winning pin fall against Adrenalin Rush and Athena in the main event.
- Name a video game where you have to Save the Princess. Any video game.
- There are several in the Zelda series
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and the linked ending of The Legend of Zelda: Oracle Games end with Zelda giving a kiss to Link.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Link gets a kiss from Madam MeowMeow after rescuing her
Chain Chompdog. The kiss will refill Link's hearts.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: normally, you would get the blue Zora's Tunic by saving King Zora, but you can also buy it. Why you'd want to do this when you can get it for free isn't obvious, but if you do, he'll try to give Link a kiss instead. Yes, the king. Link never says anything, of course, but he quite obviously adamantly refuses—the king seems disappointed.
- Subverted in the CD-i games. The CD-i games are based on the cartoon series where Link will repeatedly try and fail to get a kiss from Zelda. After Ganon is defeated:
Gwonam: You, Link, are the hero of Koridai!Link: I guess that's worth a kiss, huh?Zelda: Hah!
- The Mario series just loves this trope:
- Princess Peach has given more than one to Mario, to the point where it's considered tradition. In some of the games, if you beat the game using Luigi, she'll give one to Luigi as well.
- In the first Paper Mario game, Goombaria gives one to Mario as a reward for finding her doll. He shudders.
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Goombella gives one to Mario for helping her escape the X-Nauts in Rogueport.
- Also in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Vivian gives one to Mario for helping her find the Superbombomb. This is a bit peculiar, considering...
- Attempted defiance in the second chapter: Portly cloud spirit Flurrie offers to give Mario "a little sugar" for finding her necklace. Mario refuses (as much as a Heroic Mime can obviously refuse, anyway), but the poor plumber gets a face full of lipstick anyway.
- She almost does a Foe-Tossing Charge to get to him, too. His partners at the time are pushed out of the way and lie dizzy on the floor while she smooches Mario.
- Even Wario gets one in Wario Land 4, complete with his own princess.
- Defied in Wario Land: Shake It! where Wario, who's way more interested in the treasure than the princess, tosses her out of his way before she even finishes her congratulatory speech.
- Super Mario RPG features a mini-game that uses this trope straight and averts it. In the Marrymore Wedding Chapel, Mario teams up with Bowser to save Princess Toadstool (Peach) from being married to the hairy Wario-like Booster. Toadstool expresses her admiration by promising him a kiss, something that both Bowser and Booster cannot tolerate. Depending on your performance, you are rewarded with a kiss from Peach... or Bowser... or Booster... or both.
- "Oooh, you leaped a bunch of mushrooms, I'm so impressed."
- In Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, each time you rescue a sorceress, you can choose a "kiss" as your reward. It occupies a valuable slot in your powerup menu, but if you carry all four kisses to the end of the game, you unlock a concept art gallery.
- Lynn in Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 offers one (or several) to the main character regardless of the main character's gender.
- Resident Evil 4, where Ashley Graham offers to "do some overtime" with Leon after he rescues her. It doesn't take long for him to decide to say no.
- An optional action in King's Quest III after rescuing Rosella. It also shows up in King's Quest II (Graham and Valanice), King's Quest VI (Alexander and Cassima), and King's Quest VII (Edgar and Rosella).
- In Chibi-Robo!, Mrs. Sanderson gives one to Mr. Sanderson after he and Chibi defeat all the mega Spydorz and the Queen Spydor, leading to an Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other moment.
- Castle Crashers features this no less than three times. It is taken to new levels of Victory by the fact that the winning Knight has to fight his fellow Knights to win her kiss!
- This is the player's reward for rescuing damsels trapped in the caves, and on a good run you might get half a dozen kisses. Each one happens to give you extra health. There are also, however, "kissing parlors" where you can pay for a kiss with the same healing effects, apparently under duress since they also reward you if you "rescue" them from there.
- In the upgraded rerelease, the damsels can be replaced with "mansels" (males dressed in nothing but a full body ribbon) or "pugsels" (dogs).
- Kirby receives one from Ribbon in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, causing him to swoon.
- Beyond Good & Evil has a rare male-on-female example. Double H attempts to give one to the heroine Jade after she wins the hovercraft racing championship. Jade is not amused.
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, the Turtle who saves April gets a kiss on the snout from her, complete with Lipstick Mark
- Ratchet & Clank both get kissed by Angela when they beat the final boss of Going Commando.
- Final Fantasy IX - Averted when Zidane rescues Princess Garnet from the crumbling castle. She hugs him very warmly, but never actually kisses him.
- The Protagonist in Dragon Age: Origins can request this reward a couple of times throughout the game. In Redcliffe, Kaitlyn will give the hero a very chaste kiss on the cheek for finding her brother Bevin. Similarly, Bella the barmaid will give the hero a big smooch if you ask for a “hero's welcome” after saving the village, or if you give her enough cash to quit her job at Lloyd's tavern. The last two examples are particularly amusing, as a kiss from Kaitlyn will make her brother cover his eyes in embarrassment and a smooch from Bella will leave every drunk in the tavern gaping in wide-eyed surprise.
- In Dragon Age II, you can take a sidequest off your companion Isabela, and one dialogue option is to ask if you can get a kiss if you do it. She seems amused by the idea and says you can 'even pick where you want it."
- Done in the perfect ending of Kid Icarus, following a Plot-Relevant Age-Up.
- The arcade version of Double Dragon provides a bit of a twist. Normally if one player completes the game, then he will get kissed by Marian (the kidnapped girl). However, if two players defeat the final boss together, the game will force both of them to fight each other until only one remains to claim Marian for himself.
- Joe & Mac has each Distressed Damsel do this, providing After Boss Recovery.
- Smurfette does this to Smurf as his reward for her rescue in the Atari 2600 version of Smurf: Rescue In Gargamel's Castle and in Infogrames' The Smurfs (1994).
- In Tiny Toon Adventures Buster Busts Loose, after Buster beats the final boss, Babs gushes about how great he is, then offers him one of these. Buster doesn't seem interested at all, and Plucky intervenes to stop the whole thing.
- Sequential Art has one. Involving sewers.
- Girl Genius: The victory was mutual rather than a rescue, but the excitement got Agatha a bit carried away. Complete with Post-Kiss Catatonia!
- This is in the webcomic Kid Radd. The end of every "Kid Radd" game is an (offscreen) kiss.
- Dan Miller, the author, realized this and pulls a fake-out at the very end, after he already pulled a dramatic Almost Kiss scene. Radd and Sheena look like they're finally going to kiss, when a pair of canes drag them offstage and Mook sprites Bogey and Joule jump on-screen - leading to them having an Accidental Kiss.
- Bittersweet Candy Bowl: Lucy gave one to Mike at the end of Confrontation.
- In American Barbarian, for Rick.
- Played with in Magick Chicks. To cover up for the events that occurred while Faith was unconscious, Tiffany told her that she saved the day; leaving Faith to assume that her short-term memory had been effected. Still, she coyly asked if the hero would get a kiss. Tiffany paused for a moment, then smiled and figured 'sure, why not?'.
- In Tales of the Questor, Quentyn is surprised by one from a fae. She's a bit surprised by his lack of reaction.
- Between Terra and Zadok in 1/0.
- Done by a shapely human female in the Woody Woodpecker short Hot Noon, as well as Socco in Morocco.
- Type 2 subversion: The Legend of Zelda cartoon had Link frequently request one whenever he rescues Zelda. Sometimes, she offers herself. In both cases, events conspire to prevent it from happening.
- Link and Zelda from the cartoon are later transplanted into the Captain N: The Game Master cartoon. The episode Potion of Power essentially serves as a Fully Absorbed Finale with a resurrected Ganon being defeated and Link finally getting that kiss from Zelda he was after for the entire previous series. Kevin actually manages to get a kiss from Zelda after just arriving in Hyrule, angering Link who was trying and failing for the entire previous series. In fact, Kevin gets two in the episode to Link's one.
- Uniquely subverted in Teen Titans Super Hero Origin. Robin unlocks Starfire's shackles and she kisses him, not out of gratitude, but to learn English
- In Gargoyles, at the end of an episode focusing largely on the Trio's affections for Angela, she gives them all a kiss on the cheek, at least partly out of a desire to quell the competition between them.
- An episode of the classic Jonny Quest had Jonny and Hadji escaping this after saving a couple of women, with Dr. Quest joking about returning to the issue in ten years or so.
- Jonny: (fervently agreeing) Yeah, see you in ten years!Hadji: It's a date!
- In the W.I.T.C.H. episode "I is for Illusion", Cornelia is sent flying by a monster. Caleb pops out of Meridian and catches her just in time, and she rewards him with a kiss that Blunk has to pull them both away from after several seconds.
- The Grand Finale of Danny Phantom: "Wow. Remind me to Save the World more often."
- In ReBoot, Dot and Bob watch as the user reboots the entire city and saves them from living in an apocalyptic hell. When the city turns back on they come together and their kiss gets the full 360 degree camera treatment.
- Played for Laughs in an episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender, in which Suki saves Toph from drowning, and she kisses her thinking that it was Sokka.
- Pen is kissed by the Princess in Adventure Time. He gets quite flustered. It's even cuter than it sounds.
- "Business Time", where
PenFinn doesn't want the Hot Dog Princess to kiss him because she smells like old hot dog water; then one of the businessmen they'd hired earlier takes the kiss "for [the] team."
- In a weird variant, Marceline kisses Finn after he fights a gigantic monster bat. The thing is, she was the gigantic monster bat, and it wasn't so much a "smooch of victory" as a "smooch of her giving up because she's decided he's a Worthy Opponent."
- More classic example in "Wizard Battle" when Finn sneaks into the eponymous event to prevent the Ice King from winning the prize: a kiss from Princess Bubblegum.
- "Business Time", where
- On Phineas and Ferb, Ferb gets one on the cheek from his Precocious Crush Vanessa in "Vanessasary Roughness" after saving her life and helping her get a container that had a rare element inside of it that her father had been seeking.
- Baljeet gets one in "Phineas and Ferb's Christmas Vacation" for bringing a girl the Christmas present she really wanted. Funnily enough, a kiss from a pretty girl is what Baljeet wanted for Christmas.
- In Batman: The Animated Series, it showed up between Batman and Harley Quinn of all people. When Batman showed her a bit of kindness by returning a dress she'd bought and told her even though she's going back to Arkham, she should get a little happiness. Touched, Harley gives him a quick peck. Then, looking playful, gives him a long, long smooch, telling him to call her. Robin and Poison Ivy, watching, seem weirded out.
- Done often with Sonic and Sally on Sonic SatAM. It happens less in the Archie comics.
- Parodied in the Looney Tunes short "Eatin On The Cuff" in which the moth's girlfriend Ms.Honeybee does this too him, the thing is she was the one who saved him from the man crazy Black Widow Spider.
- Adventures of the Gummi Bears: Cavin gets one from Calla at the end of "Ogre for a Day".
- Played with in Seth McFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy when Mario wants Princess Peach to kiss him after he rescued her but she refuses. He then lets Bowser eat her after getting fed up with her.
- In the Five-Episode Pilot of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, the slave girl gives Duke (who she has a crush on) a long, passionate kiss after being liberated.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: Edd gets one from Nazz when he decided to save the other kids from Ed dressed as a monster. In "The Big Picture Show" Eddy gets one too after he becomes accepted by the kids after downing his bully of a big brother.
- Inverted in Dragons: Riders of Berk: Hiccup gets a kiss from Astrid for losing. He threw the last challenge so Snoutlout wouldn't disappoint his dad. Astrid had chewed him out earlier for being over competitive and was so glad to see him reign it in she planted one on him.
- Played straight at the end of the movie, also from Astrid.
- Xiaolin Showdown example: Kimiko does this twice to Raimundo. First when escaping Wuya's crumbling lair, riding back on Dojo and then another when Rai becomes leader.
- In the first episode of Captain N: The Game Master Princess Lana does this to Kevin making Simon Belmont jealous.
- At the end of the Young Justice episode "War" Bumblebee kisses Guardian after they defeat Mongul, Arsenal feeling left out wonders why that never happens to him then Wonder Girl gives him a kiss on the cheek as she walks by carrying the defeated Mongul, he then says "It's a start!".
- Kevin gets one from Gwen when he is changed back from his mutated form in the finale of Ben 10: Alien Force.
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) April O'Neil would sometimes kiss the turtles after they rescued her or saved the city from Shredder's schemes, most commonly Leonardo or Donatello would be the one to receive the kiss, on one occasion when she kissed Donatello Raphael tells her that he and the others deserve it as much as him, before she can she is interrupted by Michelangelo bringing in pizzas.
- She also does this to a police officer in "The Great Boldini" for allowing the turtles an hour to catch the crooks for are responsible for stealing an emerald that they were blamed for stealing.
- Two bathing beauties give Beetlejuice a kiss on each cheek in "Mr. Beetlejuice Goes To Town" after he wins the election of Neitherworld mayor.
- In Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels when they solved the mystery and defeated the villains Taffy would often kiss Captain Caveman, sometimes he would receive one from one of the other girls or the damsel he recused.
- Mighty Mouse was known to have the female mice he would rescue lay a big one on him (one cartoon has his face smothered with lipstick imprints). Mighty Mouse would plant some big ones himself.
- In the American Dragon: Jake Long episode "Hero Of The Hourglass'' Jake gets one from his future mother Susan for saving his future father Jonathan and getting them back together after they had broken up, because Jake had earlier revealed her dragon heritage to him in an attempt to keep him from grounding him all the time and having to keep his dragon form a secret.
- In the TaleSpin episode "For Whom The Bell Klangs Part II'' Katie Dodd does this to Baloo and Louie for saving her from Thaddeus Klang and recovering the ancient bells for her which were allowed to be kept in a museum.
- In the Courage the Cowardly Dog episode "The Mask" Bunny does this to Courage for saving her from her abusive dog boyfriend and reuniting her with her friend Kitty.
- Penelope has done this a couple of times in The Perils of Penelope Pitstop to a member of the Anthill Mob particularly Clyde or Dum Dum after they rescue her or help her with one of her goals, she has also kissed Sylvester Sneakly the alter ego of the villain The Hooded Claw after he reluctantly gives away money to charity a few times.
- Wonder Woman does this to Batman in the Justice League episode "The Brave and the Bold" after she saw that he was concerned for her safety when she had been buried underground stopping a missile and he tried to dig her out fearing she was dead.
- Linka has done this to Wheeler a couple times in Captain Planet and the Planeteers first for finding a way to reverse the mutation of the rats and another time for helping to win a game show that decided the fate of the Earth.
- Cheetara does this to Tygra in the Thunder Cats 2011 episode "New Alliances" after he prevents her from getting shot by a lizard man sniper.
- The Super Mario Bros. Super Show:
- In "Brooklyn Bound", Princess Toadstool kisses both Mario and Luigi on the cheek after getting rescued.
- In "Flatbush Koopa", when the heroes mistakenly believe they have defeated King Koopa for good, Princess Toadstool kisses both Mario and Luigi on the cheek.
- Kaeloo: In Episode 136, Stumpy saves Pretty from some aliens and she rewards him with a kiss on the lips.
- In the last episode of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien Julie kisses Ben after he defeats Vilgax and changes all the Esoterics back into humans.
- The Real Ghostbusters:
- In "Look Homeward Ray" Ray receives one from his childhood crush Elaine after saving the town and defeating the Winged Puma ghost.
- In "Egon's Ghost" when Egon is made human again after spending most of the episode as a ghost, Janine kisses him out of joy and also to prove he's solid again.
- In "Russian About" after defeating the Old One ghost and getting Dimitri and Vladimir arrested for summoning it Russian celebrity Katrina Novechenka gives each of the Ghostbusters a kiss, she also blows one to Slimer after he asks for one.
- The victory over Japan kiss in Times Square is a gender inversion; the sailor saw and impulsively kissed her, and a photographer happened to capture it. Such kisses happened all over the country on that day. His actual date who WATCHED the whole thing, was in the background of the photo smiling, and was so not bothered that she later married the man.