Western Animation: Dennis the Menace
In 1986, Dennis the Menace (US) was adapted into a 65-Episode Cartoon for U.S. syndication by DiC Entertainment, later moving to Saturday Mornings on CBS.
The 1980s animated series provides examples of:
- Acrofatic: Mr. Wilson.
- Banister Slide
- Canada, Eh?: However, this plays up to stereotypes.
- Canon Foreigner: PeeBee, Jay,note Lars and Mr. Cavallini.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The episode Trembly Assembly is notorious for this; not to mention the writing is oft-criticised, and the plain Mind Screw situation.
- Five-Token Band: Dennis, Joey, PeeBee, Jay and Gina. A semi-recurring character named Tommy was ironically the Sixth Ranger. Margaret sometimes fills the Sixth Ranger as well.
- Full Name Ultimatum: Margaret often does this to "Dennis Mitchell!".note
- Headless Horseman: There was an episode where Dennis scared some people by pretending to be a headless horseman.
- Market-Based Title: Just "Dennis" in the UK due to the Name's the Same Dennis the Menace (UK).
- Off Model: This is a DiC cartoon after all.
- Revival: Brought back in 2003.
- Before that, there was one in 1993.
- Second Place Is for Winners: Mr. Wilson enters a contest for a vacation. He wins first prize, but the vacation package is second prize. First prize is... a pet goose or duck.
- Shout-Out: In one episode, Dennis hums the theme to Inspector Gadget.
- Stealth Pun: The original characters PeeBee and Jay. Think about that for a second.
- The Tonsillitis Episode: One episode had Dennis in the hospital for a "tonsil-neck-tummy".
- Tsundere: Margaret (at least in this version) is type A.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: At times with Mr. Wilson, whenever Dennis and his friends mean well in helping him but unintentionally doing more harm, which aroused enough anger in him to turn red in the face.
- Zeerust/3D Movie: Dennis sneaks out to see The Future in 3D.