You know, Minnie, you might want to try a smudge-proof product.
"If we got a point for every time she kissed me in there..."
The quickest way to show that a male character has been the recent target of female affection (and a lot of it
) is to show him with his face (and sometimes elsewhere on his body) covered in lipstick marks
. His hair and clothing may be disheveled as well.
Most commonly the result of an extremely numinous Smooch of Victory
Usually animated, though occasionally imitated in live action for exaggeration purposes. In Real Life
, marking as easily as that is usually a sign of a very poor-quality lipstick.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ranma ˝: This has happened to Ranma Saotome numerous times. Perhaps the most humorous example was done to him by Konatsu, a kunoichi that isn't quite what she appears to be.
- One time, in the manga, Ranma drew lipstick kiss marks all over himself to make Akane think his Unwanted Harem had fought over him and he just got caught in the middle. He even beats himself up with nunchucks to complete the story. (He does this so Akane won't think that the ring his mother wants him to give to Akane is an engagement ring.) This plan backfires when Shampoo, Ukyo, and Kodachi discover the ring and fight over him for real.
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Lotte Lieze did this to Chrono when the Lieze sisters were introduced. "That was yummy."
- Seina Yamada from Tenchi Muyo GXP is subjected to this by Seto's handmaidens in episode 13.
- An episode of Shadow Skill had Elie repeatedly kiss her adoptive brother Gau on his cheeks, much to his chagrin.
- In Hanaukyō Maid Tai La Verite Taro ends up in this state in several instances such as episodes 2 & 9, thanks to Lemon, Marrin, and Marron. Also happened to Taro in the first episode of the first season.
- In "MÄR", Dorothy to Ginta, first as a "Shut Up" Kiss and eventually as a Smooch of Victory.
- She also does this to him in chapter 30 after seeing each other again after the first time the group went to the training gate.
- In Of Love and Bunnies, a Power Rangers fanfic, during a flashback, the Rangers have to get their broken-down Zords to a mechanic. It Makes Sense in Context. As a distraction, they throw Tommy, the White Ranger, to the adoring crowd following them. Later, after they start fixing the Zords, the other Rangers finally remember to retrieve Tommy. He returns with a half-ripped costume covered with kisses (along with some short-term PTSD).
- In the Slice of Life Star Fox fanfic Butterfly Photographs, Fox McCloud arrives home from a date night after the sun is already up, clearly dazed. After telling Falco he needs to "check his messages", he flops in the captain's seat of the Great Fox and is out like a light. Peppy arrives home from his buddies' Bowling Night and counts three different shades of lipstick on Fox's cheeks, and a fourth different color of lipstick on one of his ears. Fox's date (a supermodel for a very prestigious modeling firm) apparently wanted to bring Fox over to where she used to work. Only when they arrive does he realize that before modeling she was a stripper, at an especially high-end venue. Her former workmates thought Fox was, and he quoted, "absolutely adorable". Falco is described as being "reverent" of the job Fox's date did on him.
- This Homestuck fanart of Eridan and Feferi.
- The Last Emperor is a rare live-action film example.
- Moulin Rouge! has a scene where Christian and Satine are sneaking around the theater and Christian leaves with his hair ruffled and Satine's lipstick marks smudged around his mouth and face.
- On Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Jessica blows a kiss at Eddie, and the lipstick mark flies across the room and lands on Eddie's cheek. His girlfriend Delores (who had just caught Eddie with his pants downnote ) scornfully rips the mark off his face.
- Played for laughs in one of the Redwall books, Mariel of Redwall. The two otter twins, Bagg and Runn, are caught eating berries in the kitchen. After being chased out, they get hold of a little bankvole girl called Petunia and kiss her cheeks repeatedly until she's covered in purple lip marks. Hilarity Ensues when Petunia's mother catches them and starts hitting them with a soggy dishcloth.
- Holly in the Red Dwarf episode "Parallel Universe".
- This happened to Barney Fife every once in a while, courtesy of Thelma Lou.
- Occurred once on the American version of Deal or No Deal, where a female contestant and several of her family members kissed Howie Mandel, leaving lipstick marks on his face and bald head. He paused after a commercial break for an in-game explanation to his wife, should she happen to be watching the broadcast.
- On Malcolm in the Middle, Reese hallucinates that the scantily-clad woman in a billboard comes to life and gives him a kiss, leaving a huge lipstick mark all over his face.
- In Big Time Rush, Logan attempts to flirt with a girl, but Camille, who secretly has a crush on him, comes up and kisses him multiple times, leaving lipstick marks all over his face. This, of course, causes the girl to leave.
- In the early Mash episode Springtime, Radar is reading a (presumably dirty) poetry book and goes around asking the camp what "slaking" (no, not the Pokémon) means. He asks a nurse who has the hots for him, and at the end of the episode, ends up Covered in Kisses. When Col. Blake asks what happened to him, Radar says, "I think I've been slaked." (Judging by the huge grin on his face, yes, he has.)
- Overlapping with Take That Kiss, this happens to Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory when he quickly loses a wrestling match with Penny, whom along with Amy kisses his face as he begs them to stop.
- In Twin Peaks, Dwayne Milford, the mayor of the town the series is named after, gets kissed multiple times by his brother's widow, Lana, leaving lipstick marks all over his face.
- In John Michael Montgomery's "Cover You in Kisses", he says that he'd give anything to make his lover warm by covering her in kisses and wrapping her in love.
- Mario gets covered with lipstick marks from the princess after beating Bowser in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels All Stars.
- Jazz gets covered in kisses from Princess Eva in the ending of the PC game Jazz Jackrabbit 2.
- In Psychonauts, If Raz gives a rose to a girl in the windows throughout Black Velvetopia, then he is safe from El Odio and gets covered in kisses temporarily.
- One of the images shown at the end of Disgaea 2 is Axel, in the middle of a parade, surrounded by fangirls and covered in lipstick. Including all over his chest.
- At both endings of Epic Mickey, Oswald gets this.
- In one Homestar Runner toon, Strong Bad's attempt at making everybody's pants poof away at the senior prom fails because he was the only one that was wearing pants anyway. Nice lipstick-print boxers.
- Later, Homestar makes a reference to his own nonexistent e-mail specials, suggesting that he had a pillow fight with some lady-types in the 49th e-mail. Going to the address where "hremail 49" would theoretically exist shows a brief clip of Homestar covered in kisses while several offscreen lady-types laugh and throw pillows at him.
- In the sbmail where Homestar dressed up as The Cheat and took his place one of the easter eggs showed The Cheat dressed up as Homestar, sitting on Marzipan's couch and simply covered in lipstick marks.