There's a blush for won't, and a blush for shan't,Love — even Puppy Love, perhaps especially Puppy Love — makes the young and innocent blush. Whether speaking of the Love Interest, realizing that you are the Love Interest, being caught studying the Love Interest (especially by that character), declaring that She Is Not My Girlfriend, or actually talking to the person, expect the character to turn red, still more so if the Love Interest expresses affection or praise. Very young or innocent characters may evince this even when an attractive member of the opposite sex seems to notice them, or when witness other characters in love. Less innocent ones may be driven to it only by the Love Confession. Because it is out of control, the Tsundere and those Oblivious to Love may be betrayed by it. People prone to the Luminescent Blush or Blush Stickers are bound to suffer these. The Celibate Hero is often but not always prone to it. An apparently hard-bitten character who evinces it is revealing a soft side to himself. Adolescents are particularly prone to revealing they are not as grownup as they pose as. Contrast Gibberish of Love, which indicates more ineptness than innocence.
And a blush for having done it;
There's a blush for thought, and a blush for nought,
And a blush for just begun it.
And a blush for having done it;
There's a blush for thought, and a blush for nought,
And a blush for just begun it.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai La Verite episode "Forced Entry". When Ikuyo Suzuki teases Ryuuka about her feelings for Taro, Ryuuka blushes furiously while denying it.
- Koharu quite frequently in Koharu No Hibi.
- Mazinger Z: In the original manga Kouji and Sayaka often blushed when they talked to each other.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Holy Roman Empire frequently does this around Chibitalia. Germany also does this in the Valentine's Day comics when he gives Italy flowers and a ring.
- Athena and Hinagiku both seem very prone to this, but only in the right circumstances. Athena is normally quite The Stoic and reacts to even the most bizarre wackiness in the series with a straight face and a witty comment. But when we see her alone or alone with Hayate the walls come down and her face lights right up. Hinagiku is often seen to be kind but aloof at school and can lean heavily on the 'tsun' side of Tsundere when Hayate messes up, but once she's confronted by a romantic situation she's highly prone to blushing and on occasions when Hayate shows affection it's a massive blush. A chapter of the manga even had Hina's friends Miki and Risa try to figure out why she is so popular (in-series and and out) and came to the conclusion that it's due to her blushing tendency as a girl is cutest when she blushes.
- In Athena's case it seems mostly to highlight that she isn't nearly as cold and strict as she first appears. For Hinagiku it mostly highlights her innocence and complete lack of experience in romance that leave her uncertain how to act or react and cause her to prefer Hayate to take the initiative.
- Hinata from Naruto, though mostly in Part I. The fillers exaggerated this trait so she wouldn't just blush, she'd turn beet-red and pass out.
- Boa Hancock from One Piece does this when talking to Luffy. A lot. Sometimes even when she's just thinking about him.
- Hinata from Sangatsu no Lion turns extremely red at the presence or even mere mention of her childhood crush, Takahashi.
- To count all the times Tsubomi of HeartCatch Pretty Cure! does this would fill up part of an entire section.
- Yamada, the main character of Kase-san, seems to have this going for her every other panel. Her love interest Kase, despite being considered cool and confident by most of the school, doesn't fare much better.
- Card Captor Sakura features an interesting variant, where Tomoyo blushes at Sakura's older brother Touya. However, Touya isn't the object of her affection: Sakura is. Tomoyo's blush was because due to the shape of Touya's ears reminding her of Sakura's. It should also be noted that she tends to blush whenever she coerces Sakura into one of her many, many custom made costumes.
- The king of this trope, however, is named Li Syaoran and he is a male Tsundere for most of the first act, only to be taken off-guard by Sakura Kinomoto's freely offered friendship. When he starts falling for her, he begins blushing around her, in a profusion that makes one worry for his cardiovascular health. This gets worse as he faces up to his feelings and tries to confess — oh, Lord, how he tries. When he finally does confess his love to her, the blushes stop, showing his greater maturity. Or showing that the manga-ka got sick and tired of drawing those thin lines all of the time.
- Happens all the time in Pokémon, whether it's May and Drew, Misty and Ash, Brock, actual pokemon, etc.
- In Captain Britain, while he recounted some transdimensional adventures, he mentioned a woman. The children listening tease him about how he blushes.
- On Minimonsters Frank Einstein blushes a lot when someone mentions his love for Henrietta, saying in denial "She Is Not My Girlfriend!". He also blushes when she is with him.
- General: Extremely common in shipping fanfiction and fan-art.
- A Crown Of Stars: Sometimes when Shinji says something that Asuka finds particularly nice, touching or plainly hot, she blushes at him.
- Advice And Trust: Shinji and Asuka often blushed when talking to each other. In chapters 3 and 4 Shinji blushed brightly and frequently when Misato teased him about what he felt for Asuka and tried to encourage him to confess.
- The Child of Love: It happens several times to Shinji and Asuka while they try to start out a relationship:
- In chapter 2 Misato reminds Shinji of his and Asuka first time and he blushes.
- In chapter 6 Shinji made Asuka blush:
Shinji (smiling):"And why did you say 'I was that appealing' earlier? You're still very attractive now!"
Asuka (blushing):"Oh, shut the hell up!!! You'll make me blush!"
- Children Of An Elder God: At the beginning, when Asuka still had a crush on Kaji, she tended to blush around him. An example happened in chapter 4:
"You say the sweetest things, Asuka," Kaji said casually.
Asuka blushed furiously and tightened her embrace just a little bit.
- Doing It Right This Time: Asuka blushes when she sees Shinji and Rei trying new clothes. She is particularly flustered when she stares at Rei because she had never been drawn to a girl until then.
- Evangelion 303: The author used it very extensively in scenes featuring couples. Some examples:
- Last Child of Krypton:
- Shinji and Asuka often blushed when they stared at each other during their Unresolved Sexual Tension phase.
- In chapter 4 Shinji is staring at Asuka when all of sudden her gaze meets his. Shinji blushes.
- The One I Love Is: In chapter 9 Shinji blurts out that he loves Asuka to her face. Then he blushes brigthly.
As the words sunk in, Asuka's eyes grew wider and wider. I felt myself blushing heavily under her gaze.
- Used extensively by Kalash93 when he writes romance.
- Mushy, Romance-y Junk has this happen once or twice. If you're bored, take a shot each time Rancis or Vanellope does this, then immediately go see a doctor.
- Camille from Super Powereds reacts to Vince this way, although she does so less and less as she gets used to him presence.
- In Rick Riordan's The Son Of Neptune, when Ella returns with Tyson, she blushes when she talks to Percy of it. When Percy calls Tyson "you big charmer," Tyson blushes too.
- Tales of Kolmar has Lanen, influenced by her father's demon-made attraction charm, fall for him complete with blushing at the very thought of him despite being in her twenties and, she thought, over that kind of reaction to boys. She didn't know he was her father then.
- In P. G. Wodehouse's Jill The Reckless, a Flash Forward recounts how Otis would blush on his wedding.
- In Devon Monk's Magic in the Shadows, Allie, much to her surprise, blushes at a toast "to love."
- In Wen Spencer's A Brother's Price, Jerin Whistler blushes profusely at thoughts of the Princess Ren, and especially at innuendo. He's blushy in general, once flushing after a bath is prepared for him because of the idea that strangers have paid that much attention to a place where he is to be naked.
- In Poul Anderson's Virgin Planet, at the end, the two heroines decide to resolve the Love Triangle by rolling dice for who got the hero. He waits, and "had the grace to blush."
- In Edgar Rice Burroughs's The Monster Men, when Virginia studies the man who rescued her, he looks at her. She blushes.
As she watched his face he suddenly turned his eyes down upon her, and as she looked hurriedly away she was furious with herself as she felt a crimson flush mantle her cheek.
- In L Jagi Lamplighter's Prospero in Hell, Calvin blushes when he finds himself being eyed closely by Logistilla.
- In Sarah A. Hoyt's Draw One in the Dark, Kyrie blushes when denying to Tom's father that she is Tom's girlfriend.
- The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. Tatiana's blushing is a Running Gag, and causes problems given that she's trying to hide her attraction to the man who's dating her sister.
- In Alethea Kontis's Enchanted, Sunday blushes when the prince explains that everyone's staring because they think she must have been too familiar with him.
- In John Milton's Paradise Lost, Eve "blushing like the Morn:" when meeting Adam.
- In Seanan McGuire's October Daye novels
- A Local Habitation: when Toby rags Quentin about his interest in Terrie when he has a girlfriend, he blushes, and when Alex asks Toby whether she has a boyfriend and why not, she blushes.
- One Salt Sea, when Tybalt tells her she is more beautiful than her mother, Toby blushes.
- In Seanan McGuire's Velveteen Vs The Junior Super Patriots, Velma remembers how she blushed when Aaron first spoke to her, encouraging her at the auditions.
- In Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, when Meriven tells Holger that her bath is big enough for them both, Holger thinks his ears must be incandescent as he forges an excuse.
- In the earlier Harry Potter books, Ginny Weasley was very prone to blushing whenever Harry was around. Also, Harry himself was a victim of this when he asked out Cho in Goblet of Fire.
- In Julie Kagawa's The Iron King, after a fraught moment with Ash, Meghan thinks she must be blushing like a fire engine.
- In Stephanie Burgis's A Most Improper Magick, when Sir Neville is flattering at a ball, Elissa blushes.
- In Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog, when Verity tells Ned that he was so time-lagged he should have fallen in Love at First Sight with the first girl he saw, and Ned says that the first girl he saw was her, Ned thinks a proper Victorian maiden would have blushed. Verity is crisp and logical.
- In L. Jagi Lamplighter's 'The Unexpected Enlightenment of Rachel Griffin, "My love" — which is a regional saying that means nothing — still turns Rachel's face hot enough to fry eggs on it.
- Because it wasn't clear enough that Summon Night: Swordcraft Story's Pratty is gay, she blushs and says "The lovely twin sisters!" upon being told her next opponent was a pair of twin girls.
- In the Rune Factory games, when you court various women, some will show this blush when you talk to them, and your friendship level is high enough.
- In Persona 4, the various romantic interests will sport one when you get to the last stages of their social links. It's noticeable, because you're "just" hanging out after school, something they acted perfectly casual about earlier in their social links. The blushes will (largely) disappear if you choose to stay friends instead of dating them, however.
- Estelle from Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky shows this from time to time (more frequently as the game goes on and she starts realising the feelings she has for Joshua).
- Liara T'Soni from Mass Effect 1 has this expression every time she's alone with Commander Shepard. She has a huge crush on Shepard and is often embarrassed when speaking with the commander. This trait still pops up in the later games too if the player pursues a romance with her. Amusingly, her cheeks turn purple since she's an alien.
- Pretty much every somewhat-romantic Visual Novel out there will involve the love interest's cheeks reddening around Love Confession time. Examples: Katawa Shoujo and CLANNAD.
- The girls of Little Busters! naturally do this, with the extensiveness varying - Komari tends to go bright red, while Mio just gets a bit pink round the cheeks. Protagonist Riki also tends to do this, though, most memorably when his childhood friend Kyousuke starts saying things that make it sound like he has feelings for Riki and Masato notes gleefully that Riki is slowly turning bright red. Riki claims he must just have a cold.
- In Sinfest,
- In Rusty and Co., Madeline the Paladin blushes when she mentions Derek the Cleric.
- In Gunnerkrigg Court:
- In Sandra and Woo, Larisa can induce it in Landon by asking for a lick — and taking it on him, not his ice cream cone.
- In Our Little Adventure,
- In Girl Genius,
- when Tarvek tells Agatha she's beautiful, she's flustered and blushing.
- When Moloch realizes that everyone knew he was in love with Sanaa.
- When it's revealed that Tarvek was Obfuscating Stupidity to everyone, Agatha then starts thinking that Gil has been too... but he hasn't.
- In Questionable Content, after Dora walks Tai home.
- Mia of True Villains is subject to this a ton, being about six and having a kiddie crush on Bayn. First seen here, where she first meets her object of affection.
- In Thistil Mistil Kistil, when Hedda's mending results in a Shirtless Scene for Coal — cue blush.
- In Erstwhile
- In Doc Rat, while flirting with his fiancee.
- In Coming Up Violet a boy and girl watching a movie together.
- In Key, Val lectures Chris about not interferring with Ki's romance, because she was afraid Ki would end up alone, within Ki's earshot. Ki blushes.
- In Tales of the Questor, Quentyn, when meeting up again with the barmaid, after he had drunk too much and said what he shouldn't've. Then he puts his foot into it again, while sober, and gets it worse.
- In Underling, Laz, while being flirtatously bidden farewell.
- El Goonish Shive:
- Susan has been increasingly prone to these whenever her focus is on Elliot. The fact that Everyone Can See It between the two characters makes it even better.
- Ashley had been previously established as having a bit of a crush on Elliot after watching the video review show that he does with Susan. After he returned her cell phone to her (by means of a rather impressive wall run), she responded with a very noticeable blush as he walked away.
- Happens on this page in Luminary Children.
- In Worm, Taylor suffers this quite badly in Chapter 6.3 when she's assembling furniture with Brian.
- Finn of AJCO gets one around Nights, especially when she's touching him to file off his claws or fiddle with his muzzle, though his feelings are not reciprocated.
- Similarly, Egg and Kube both go red (or, in Kube's case, dark green) when around each other. Expect the colouring to intensify the moment one of them does anything vaguely romantic to the other.
- Spike blushes after receiving a kiss from his crush Rarity, in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Secret of My Excess".
- In the spinoff Equestria Girls, Twilight Sparkle gets one every time Flash Sentry makes an appearance, though their relationship never goes further than that.
- In the Batman: The Animated Series episode "The Cat and the Claw", Bruce Wayne meets Selina Kyle for the first time and blushes, even stumbling over his words a little speaking to her.
- Korra does this rather a lot around Mako in Book One of The Legend of Korra; examples include after a Sleep Cute moment and during and following their first kiss in The Spirit of Competition. Interestingly, while Mako returns her affections, he has yet to display this trope in return, at least around Korra (though he did have awkwardness and blushing aplenty during his first encounter with his Romantic False Lead Asami).
- This seems to be a habit of Korra's, as in a later season she blushes when Second Love Asami compliments her new haircut.
- The Large Family: Lester blushes whenever Sarah Smart is around.
- Isabella from Phineas and Ferb gets like this around Phineas, of course. It's mutual when they become a couple in "Act Your Age".
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls ImageSource/Animated Films My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks