Literature / Kat, Incorrigible
is a series of children's books by Stephanie Burgis
about Kat's adventures in an alternate Regency, with magic, revolving about her sisters' marriages and her own discoveries of magical abilities.
The books are:
- A Most Improper Magick or Kat, Incorrigible
- A Tangle of Magicks or Renegade Magic
- A Reckless Magick or Stolen Magic
- Anti-Magic: Kat's abilities for this are spontaneous.
- Arranged Marriage: One is contemplated for Elissa
- Blackmail: Kat tries this on Angeline.
- Blue Blood: The Guardians. And, of course, all of society
- Clingy MacGuffin: the mirror
- Crush Blush: Elissa, when Sir Neville is flattering
- Dances and Balls: The climax of A Most Improper Magic starts at one
- Death by Childbirth: Kat's mother
- Defiled Forever: If Viscount Scarwood ruins you. . . .
- Dispel Magic: In A Most Improper Magick, Kat finds she can spontaneously break spells by verbally denying them.
- Duel to the Death: Well, a duel. Not to the death.
- A Fate Worse Than Death: invoked in a joke
- Girl in the Tower: What Sir Neville did to his first wife.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Attributed to Sir Neville
- The Highwayman: Haunts the roads, and requires them to have armed guards
- Human Sacrifice: To Sulis Minerva
- Important Haircut: Kat does it as part of her Sweet Polly Oliver attempt
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Elissa. She reads too many Gothics, and tries to make the sacrifice even when it's foolish.
- I Will Wait for You: Angeline, in front of the mother with the veto
- Love at First Sight: Elissa is quite taken with a man with no money, but refuses to consider.
- Love Spell: Angeline casts one.
- Love Triangle: In the Back Story, as Kat realizes
- MacGuffin: The will, in Improper Magic
- Magic Mirror: Kat finds her mother's.
- More Hero Than Thou: Mr. Collingwood and Elissa
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Viscount Scarwood.
- Old Maid: Stepmama was on the verge of this when she married.
- Parental Marriage Veto: Mrs. Carlyle waves it about with great vigor.
- The Promise: Kat vows to restore her mother's mirror
- Promotion to Parent: Kat's sisters
- Ransacked Room: A burglar ransacks the house.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Kat is blamed for her mother's misdeeds
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: In the opening of Tangle. While the reason would have been legitimate — the man is underage and can not marry without parental permission — it is not, in fact, his wedding.
- Spell Book: Their mother's books, for both Kat and Angeline.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Kat's first attempt to save Elissa from the arranged marriage
- Talk About the Weather: Angeline complains about unintelligible conversation; must they start to talk about the weather?
- Tears of Remorse: In the Back Story, their mother, after she revealed her magic.
- Thicker Than Water: Elissa's motive to submit to an arranged marriage.
- Unable to Support a Wife: Mr. Collingwood; Elissa can not marry him.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Elissa thinks she's the heroine of a Gothic